View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2021, 01:32 PM   #11
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
24 frames doesn't have judder at 144hz/240hz, 60 hz does because 24 doesn't fit into 60.

You get a 3/2 pulldown effect.

144hz/240hz have smooth motion, while 50/60hz don't.
My Eizo FS2434 with 60hz didn't exhibit this problem.With the benq is the first time i had to search for this.

I found some other explanation:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57657591

Quote:
The majority of inbuilt laptop screens are fixed at 60Hz, the processor driving them has to resort to 3:2 pulldown to make the maths work, 24 into 60 doesn't go. The result will be judder.
External monitors that have a maximum refresh rate of 60Hz, are usually flexible, and can run at lower refresh rates - controlled by the computer's graphic processor. I suspect your 60Hz monitor is running at 48Hz when being fed a 24fps signal.
The point is not all 60Hz monitors (or greater rates) are flexible enough to run at all lower rates, usually they can handle 50Hz to display the European standard of 25fps broadcast - used for many many decades. 24fps although having been widely used in the film industry wasn't a 'household' standard until relatively recently - in the past few years many more monitors are able to reduce their refresh down to 48Hz - but not all, especially in the 4k realm.
Out of interest, what is the make/model of your monitor?

Last edited by badsykes : Feb 27, 2021 at 01:38 PM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote