View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2018, 04:10 AM   #29
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
So I am contemplating the following build. Any ideas?

G4400 Celeron
ASUS H270+ MB
120 GB SSD
Rig Case - Open air aluminum
Riser Cables * 6
MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti * 6
1000 Watts Thermaltake PSU * 2
22 inch monitor, el-cheapo mouse/keyboard combo

PC will be kept either in guest bed or maid's room. I may see it only once a day or once a week. Will run 24/7 mining activity. Initial cost is about $7650.

Worth it?

At lowest mining activity that I have seen over past week, I will make $5 per card per day. This translates into about $30 per day or $10950 per annum w/ payback of 7 months. Assuming everything is constant.
This is definitely diving in the deep end before your feet are even wet. I would think long and hard about doing this before diving in. Going to be really hard to find 1080 Ti's for retail or close it for the foreseeable future. I would not pay over $950 for a 1080 Ti right now, and even that is on the high end (better be an AIO cooled one at that price). Be aware that going in this deep will not be smooth sailing. Be prepared to have to diagnose and fix issues and deal with headaches for the first 2-3 weeks until its up and running smoothly. This will not be a set and forget it situation. Also running your air conditioning 24/7 is going to jack up your power bill to the moon, not to mention the cost of running this rig 24/7 (6x1080 Ti's is 1500 watts of power), hopefully the power sockets in this bedroom can handle that, very close to typical house circuit limits there. You need to make sure that your are comfortable with losing everything you invest in this. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose. If this is all going on a credit card, you better be able to pay it off before APR kicks in. Going into credit card debt to invest seems silly to me.

The main reason I shy away from mining rigs is that if it all comes crashing down and cryptocurrency is no more - I don't want to have to deal with trying to sell off all that equipment. Selling off the video cards would be bad enough, do not want to deal with the headaches of selling off all the other crap. The other reason I don't like open-air mining rigs is that I have two cats. Last thing I need is a curious cat taking out thousands of dollars worth of hardware, lol.

Once my EVGA and MSI 1080 Ti cards come in (both AIO versions) I am done expanding my rigs. I will have 3 1080 Ti's and 2 Titan Xp's mining at that point. Estimating about .003 bitcoins a day which when bitcoin is at $11k that works out to be $33 a day, $990 a month, $12045 a year. And a power cost of $65 a month (for both rigs and 5 cards).

Personally I see bitcoin valued at $15-20K by the years end. I think we are at the point of too big to fail here. I don't see it dropping below $10K. This isn't a scam imo. Been mining since January 13th and I've already cashed out $115 bucks. During that time I've been messing about configuring the rigs, adding 2 Titan Xp cards, building a second rig to put the Titan Xp's in, adding water cooling to the Titan Xp's. Basically I haven't been mining 24/7 yet. I think I am close to a point where I can just leave my rigs to do there thing and earn me some bitcoins.

Last edited by Dave : Jan 24, 2018 at 04:40 AM.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote