View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2021, 01:51 AM   #188
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
Pax what do you mean by stabilize? At AMD's latest earnings call shareholders asked them why they wanted to produce more MBA cards at MSRP when they could sell them for far more and make more profit. Making big profits is AMD's & Nvidia's main aim, not selling cheap cards. Higher SKU margins mean bigger profits so win win for shareholders.

Whether we like it or not higher GPU prices are here to stay it would seem so we all need to just get used to the new normal.
I can't remember where, but I read an article that indicated AMD had shipped hardly any GPUs in Q4 2020, like way down from past years. They may be making money on the ones sold, but not selling very many. A lot of money is being left on the table because they can't even make the products.

Frankly it's still not clear to me how much of the current GPU problems are due to demand, and how much of it is just supply constraints. The EVGA step up queue is barely even moving, and while we don't know how many are in the queue, two week periods go by without any product being shipped to anyone. That sounds more like supply constraints to me than high demand. (High demand alone you'd see a few cards trickle out reliably, but the queue would still go slow because there are so many in it.)
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote