View Single Post
Old Jun 28, 2020, 07:28 AM   #49
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwards

It's funny... I haven't ever watched temps, fan speeds, etc. until I started folding. Never bothered seeing how hot a card can get, never tried overclocking.

Apparently I could have run my Gigabyte 7970 at a 10% overclock out of the box, and that's after its own 4% embedded overclock. It stays around 65C at stock speeds, under folding load.

The 134XX WUs on this thing get about 33% less points than on Vega, and take 2 hours instead of 1 to complete. Even so, the PPD is 50% lower on the 7970 than with other WUs.

I think the fact that I've had no crashes with folding for 36 hours straight, and off/on since that there was something wrong with the video card. If MSI comes back with "no problem found" I'm going to flip my lid.

And for further bad news (always hardware issues with me), one of the fan bearings rattles like crazy. I looked at it while running; the fan closest to the back of the PC is running about 1/2 RPM of the other two. With the video card out, that fan physically spins freely while the others do not. If fans are set to 40% or less, it barely spins at all. While temps stay relatively low, I'm certain that nothing on that side of the board is monitored and some components will be subject to overheating if that fan does crap out entirely.

I ended up buying one of these to be a stop-gap but I'm worried that it will do more harm than good. Running it at a low throttle for now.

In the meantime, I waffle between "f*** it, let the GPU fold" and "don't want my card to die" and "if it dies then you can finally throw it away" and "wait until the fixed card comes in before you kill it - what if the 'fixed' card isn't fixed" and "your laptop performs better anyway - you shouldn't even be bothering with this".
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote