View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2021, 02:06 PM   #23
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
I still refuse to believe all of this CRT craziness. Need to see it for myself.

Absolutely willing to believe it's smoother, but you'll lose so much definition. I watched this video yesterday (didn't know this thread even existed), and he gushes on and on about it. There has to still be a gigantic difference in detail/clarity from 4k. You either have the pixels available to create the detail, or you don't. I don't get it.
I don't think you'll get better image quality out of an old CRT than you would get on a 4k OLED... assuming that you're rendering in native 4k. But most people are rendering games in sub-4k and then scaling up. That's where CRT's have a massive advantage, in adapting to a wide variety of resolutions so that you're always running without messing up your image quality by non-integer scaling.

It's true that you can get an ultra-high quality 1024x768 image on a CRT, where each and every pixel looks stunning. But you're right, that it's not going to stand up against a fully native 4k HDR image.

Ryzen 2600x - radeon 6700xt - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro