Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Sep 5, 2020, 12:30 PM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Yeah everyone I know that plays on a high refresh rate monitor says they cannot go back to 60Hz, and that it just feels more sluggish now that they are used to high refresh. This is why I've been hesitant to upgrade my monitor. 60 is still perfectly fine for me and its easier on performance, don't want to spoil myself just yet.
Throw a 3080 and a decent monitor for about 400-500 (AOC etc) w/ 165 Hz and you will be golden.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2020, 01:01 PM   #182
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Throw a 3080 and a decent monitor for about 400-500 (AOC etc) w/ 165 Hz and you will be golden.
I really like my monitor though. I don't have a desire for high refresh rate or Gsync, etc.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2020, 02:32 PM   #183
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

The reason you're seeing judder in stuff like Netflix is because your monitor is giving you a raw image. Where as tv's by default use image processing to smooth a image etc (not perfect) but results in input latency. (for games)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 5, 2020, 02:34 PM   #184
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
I really like my monitor though. I don't have a desire for high refresh rate or Gsync, etc.
Gsync will make it so even if you don't reach 144hz ( or whatever Hz the montir is) it will still have really low input latencty + no screen tear anyway.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 04:31 PM   #185
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
I neeeeever noticed it, ever. At 21:9 it's really bad.

Some games you can't go lower than 90. Doom 2016 has it as bad as the others at 90 FOV and it's the lowest setting.

I see what KAC was saying, this is damn near a deal breaker for me. I'm half tempted to return it.
Do you happen to wear glasses? Because if you do, you might be aware of that moment when you either first get them or get a new prescription. Your brain takes a bit to adapt to the change in the optics. A similar thing happens with a wider FOV setups. This has been a thing since 3D graphics, it's also why fov adjustments have been common place since at least Quake.

btw you can adjust the fov more in Doom using console commands. The command is "g_fov". Now the difference here is going to be even more exaggerated on my 32:9 display, but here's a quick screen shot of the difference between a FOV of 100 and FOV of 75 in Doom 2016. Note, that a fov of around 75 is really common on consoles to try and reduce that fisheye effect.

Fov 100

Fov 75

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2020, 05:22 PM   #186
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Gsync will make it so even if you don't reach 144hz ( or whatever Hz the montir is) it will still have really low input latencty + no screen tear anyway.
Oh yes, i understand the advantages of Gsync and high refresh features. What I'm saying is I'm still perfectly happy with old school 60Hz and vsync. I don't see any reason pushing me to want to upgrade to those features.

My brother has a 21:9 120Hz with Gsync and it is nice. But i just don't feel the need to buy a new monitor right now. Maybe if i was into competitive first person shooters, but i generally play slower single player stuff. I just like 1440p for resolution. 1080 wasn't cutting it for me anymore, too blurry at 27" and bigger.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 05:40 PM   #187
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Do you happen to wear glasses? Because if you do, you might be aware of that moment when you either first get them or get a new prescription. Your brain takes a bit to adapt to the change in the optics. A similar thing happens with a wider FOV setups. This has been a thing since 3D graphics, it's also why fov adjustments have been common place since at least Quake.

btw you can adjust the fov more in Doom using console commands. The command is "g_fov". Now the difference here is going to be even more exaggerated on my 32:9 display, but here's a quick screen shot of the difference between a FOV of 100 and FOV of 75 in Doom 2016. Note, that a fov of around 75 is really common on consoles to try and reduce that fisheye effect.
Thanks Trunks, I'll play around with it a bit. I don't wear glasses, but I think I understand what you're saying.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2020, 08:29 PM   #188
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Installed a new desk mount for the monitor tonight, and did a little cable management. Only thing I can't hide is the Display Port cable, will have to order a longer one. Really digging this setup. The monitor is outstanding so far. I've decided after using it a bit that I'll likely just stick with the single display.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Sep 9, 2020, 08:45 PM   #189
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

That is nice looking. Yeah if you can make the cable and the arm base disappear that would be awesome! Is is possible to hide the arm base behind a large bookshelf speaker? It looks like it it goes diagonal pretty low down so if it doesn't have a tall stump it might disappear behind a speaker. Unfortunately you'll have to have speakers right next to your monitor.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2020, 09:10 PM   #190
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
That is nice looking. Yeah if you can make the cable and the arm base disappear that would be awesome! Is is possible to hide the arm base behind a large bookshelf speaker? It looks like it it goes diagonal pretty low down so if it doesn't have a tall stump it might disappear behind a speaker. Unfortunately you'll have to have speakers right next to your monitor.
I suppose you could, yeah. I'm ok with it though. The only reason I even bought the desk clamp mount is because I didn't want to mount it to the wall. If I did that...yeah, it'll truly be floating. Didn't want the stand right in the middle either. Having it off to the side really helps that floating feel and gives me space under it. Makes it feel more open. I may eventually give in and wall mount it, but for now, I REALLY like this.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:12 PM   #191
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Looks great man
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:46 PM   #192
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Thanks guys! Once again, I appreciate the advice in here. The ultra wide was a great decision.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Sep 10, 2020, 12:27 AM   #193
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

So which monitor is it? Exact model?
How bad is the IPS glow and is it HDR 600?
Old Sep 10, 2020, 08:34 AM   #194
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

LG 38GN950-B. There is IPS glow, which was pretty annoying at first. I slowly lowered the brightness over time (I usually prefer a bright display) and now it's easily ignored, but it's still there a little bit. It just sticks out to me quite a bit because this is the first time I've experienced it.

It has HDR600, but I haven't tested it out much. I played Assassins Creed Origins as a test, and it does kick HDR on and it looks good..but I've never liked how that game handles HDR. Haven't really thought of another way to test it really, but maybe I'll hook my PS4 Pro up to it just to test further. It's not true HDR either way.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Sep 10, 2020, 08:38 AM   #195
KAC
It might be gays!

Ok will see if I can find a GN.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 09:00 AM   #196
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Here is a photo I took of the IPS glow when I was testing it and playing with brightness settings. It's not even this bad in person, the phone amplifies it. But it's definitely there. I've lowered the brightness slightly from here, so it's even less now. I notice it more on the bottoms than the tops, but the phone didn't pick that up as much. EDIT: Actually, this is pretty close to how it looks in person.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh

Last edited by OverclockN' : Sep 10, 2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 09:01 AM   #197
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Looks great man
I second that.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2020, 09:07 AM   #198
KAC
It might be gays!

IPS glow is better than my ASUS PG348Q.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 09:21 AM   #199
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

IPS glow, or backlight bleed is nothing to fuss over if you ask me. You only ever can see it on a solid black screen and how often is that?

I think its only really an issue if you watch movies on it but most people i don't think watch movies on their PC.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 09:29 AM   #200
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber
Wink

Quote:
IPS glow, or backlight bleed is nothing to fuss over if you ask me. You only ever can see it on a solid black screen and how often is that?

I think its only really an issue if you watch movies on it but most people i don't think watch movies on their PC.
I was noticing it quite a bit with this ultrawide, where I agree that it normally wouldn't show on a standard 16:9. For example, playing Life is Strange in that image above. It doesn't support ultrawide, so the glow is there on the bars on the sides the whole time you're playing the game. You also see it in most cut scenes of any game since it's the same situation. Also on the vast majority of youtube, Netflix, or Amazon videos if you go full screen.

If this was a standard 16:9, I doub't I'd even know it was there right now. But seeing it's ultrawide, I notice it in almost everything I do except internet browsing/desktop use.

Either way though, I do agree that it can be easily ignored. I'm just super sensitive to this stuff. But I also realize I can't be THAT picky. There is quite literally no perfect product out there, IMO. There is always SOMETHING that's an issue, however small it might be.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Sep 10, 2020, 09:46 AM   #201
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Wait a minute, I thought I read some time back you didn't like curved monitors. Now I stumble back in here and you've bought one?

It does look good though, so congrats.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2020, 09:53 AM   #202
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Yeah i suppose the black side bars with ultrawide is another factor.

I'm sure you'll get used to it and over time as more games have standard ultrawide support it will be less of an issue.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 10:41 AM   #203
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Wait a minute, I thought I read some time back you didn't like curved monitors. Now I stumble back in here and you've bought one?

It does look good though, so congrats.
You're right, I don't like curved monitors. With ultrawide in this size, you generally don't have much choice, so I grabbed one with the least amount of curve I could find.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Sep 10, 2020, 11:14 AM   #204
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Man that looks sweet

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2020, 11:58 AM   #205
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I think curved is fine for PC monitors since you'll always be centered viewing it. I would never get a curved TV though.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 01:28 PM   #206
KAC
It might be gays!

IPS glow also happens on non black screens. All greys, sky blue and generally darker shadows can show glow.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 01:31 PM   #207
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
You're right, I don't like curved monitors. With ultrawide in this size, you generally don't have much choice, so I grabbed one with the least amount of curve I could find.
May I ask how much that was?

yoz
Old Sep 10, 2020, 01:34 PM   #208
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
May I ask how much that was?
It's $1600 at most retailers that carry it, but Costco has them for $1400. I purchased from Costco. Even better is that they have a 90 day return policy, so I felt better knowing I had 3 months to test/decide.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Sep 10, 2020, 01:47 PM   #209
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
It's $1600 at most retailers that carry it, but Costco has them for $1400. I purchased from Costco. Even better is that they have a 90 day return policy, so I felt better knowing I had 3 months to test/decide.
I saw that price as well, thanks.

yoz
Old Sep 10, 2020, 03:25 PM   #210
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
It has HDR600, but I haven't tested it out much. I played Assassins Creed Origins as a test, and it does kick HDR on and it looks good..but I've never liked how that game handles HDR. Haven't really thought of another way to test it really, but maybe I'll hook my PS4 Pro up to it just to test further. It's not true HDR either way.

Just note that if you use HDR, when finished you may have to physically turn the screen off then back on to reset SDR colour space, as with my GK and the GL the monitor gets stuck in HDR colour space and you get crushed blacks etc. Not sure if this bug is also present on the GN, just pointing it out.