Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 30, 2021, 11:24 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Interesting that it didn't thermal throttle at those temps.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 11:31 PM   #122
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Overall ram prices will increase for 2021.
KAC: Can't wait to see your soap opera about RKL
Old Jan 31, 2021, 04:02 AM   #123
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Interesting that it didn't thermal throttle at those temps.
I bought a direct-die kit for my 10900K. Installing today!

Will let you know how it goes when I crack the substrate
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 31, 2021, 05:23 AM   #124
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

What's a direct die kit? Something to remove IHS and run it naked?
Link?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2021, 10:54 AM   #125
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Yes, it's the cooler attached directly to the die. IHS removed. I can't get it to work properly for some reason. I can't get the cooler to make any contact with the chip. When it does, I'm only getting the center of the cooler to touch. I tried cranking everything down (ruined all 4 washers) and it doesn't help; if anything, temps got worse.

It seems my coolers coldplate is actually pointed at the center. I'm going a different direction and ordered an all-copper IHS. Going to sand down the coldplate on the cooler as well because I had no idea it was that bad. It's the only thing that can be wrong as I went over the direct-die mount install twice.

Looking at the coldplate and it does seem like it points at the center. Without as wide of a surface as an IHS, I guess that is the issue.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jan 31, 2021, 10:56 AM   #126
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Yes, it's the cooler attached directly to the die. IHS removed. I can't get it to work properly for some reason. I can't get the cooler to make any contact with the chip. When it does, I'm only getting the center of the cooler to touch. I tried cranking everything down (ruined all 4 washers) and it doesn't help; if anything, temps got worse.

It seems my coolers coldplate is actually pointed at the center. I'm going a different direction and ordered an all-copper IHS. Going to sand down the coldplate on the cooler as well because I had no idea it was that bad. It's the only thing that can be wrong as I went over the direct-die mount install twice.

Looking at the coldplate and it does seem like it points at the center. Without as wide of a surface as an IHS, I guess that is the issue.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:33 PM   #127
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Some youtubers say you have to lap the cooler plates.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.6.1. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:42 PM   #128
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Yeah it seems that will be necessary. I'm heading to Lowe's in a few minutes to grab some sanding paper. I have a flat piece of glass that the paper will be taped to, and work from there. 300, 800, and then 3000 grit for polish.

I may try the direct-die one more time, or I may just wait until the Copper IHS comes in.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:52 PM   #129
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Did you have temp issues with the 10900K?
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:57 PM   #130
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nope, not at all. I was just bored. I could hit 5.3/5.0 with the direct-die though.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 01:00 PM   #131
KAC
It might be gays!

lol.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 01:08 PM   #132
Nunz
RIP Roxen

The 10900K @ 5.1/4.8 doesn't see over 56c while gaming on any core

I will push 5.3/5.0 with direct-die, and probably 5.2/4.9 with the Copper IHS. Eventually you start pumping enough voltage and the cooling can't keep up. I'm at 1.26v under load for 5.1. I think 5.2 will be around 1.31, and 5.3 around 1.375-1.39, but I haven't tried 5.3 at all yet.

Lapping the cold plate on the cooler should make temps better regardless, though.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 01:23 PM   #133
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Good luck Nunz!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2021, 04:57 PM   #134
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

That's roughly the voltages I need too nunz, if you can keep temps under control with AIO 5.3 should be no problem. I've dropped back to 5.2 after dismantling water loop.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 08:09 PM   #135
KAC
It might be gays!

With my 8086K 5.1 used to perform worse in benches than 5.0 and required also 1.4 volts or something. So I am not sure if there is a real benefit to 5.3.

My 8086K seemed to have similar volts.
1.26 @ 4.9
1.325 @ 5.0
1.4 @ 5.1

Meanwhile this AMD does whatever dafuq it likes with 1.48 volts at 5.15 single core lol.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 09:16 PM   #136
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Must not have been stable if a higher clock speed resulted in lower results.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 10:02 PM   #137
KAC
It might be gays!

That’s pretty common for most CPUs. It passed all stability tests. The results deltas were 10-20 points and not consistently lower across all benches. I don’t remember the full details anymore but I do remember things like Timespy being slightly slower by 10-20 points.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 11:25 PM   #138
demo
space cadet

Yeh it sounds like it wasn't fully stable. If it passes stress tests but scores are slightly lower it likely needs a little more juice.

To get a proper oc I think a variety of tests need be done, including games. One game that will always crash for me despite passing prime is total war 3 kingdoms in huge battles if voltage isn't quite high enough. Usually bumping it up one notch above prime stable fixes it.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 01:46 AM   #139
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

The romanian site Lab501 just reviewed the 11700k

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/re...-surfaces.html
Old Feb 12, 2021, 02:05 AM   #140
KAC
It might be gays!

That looks garbage.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 02:11 AM   #141
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

In Dawn of War 3 there is big performance increase over the 10700f
Old Feb 12, 2021, 02:31 AM   #142
KAC
It might be gays!

Will do my research before I take the plunge.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 11:09 AM   #143
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Intel Core i9-11900K Rocket Lake Desktop CPU Also Tested Against AMD Ryzen 7 5700G & Ryzen 7 5800X, Unimpressive Gaming Performance

https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-1...ryzen-7-5800x/
Old Feb 13, 2021, 07:31 AM   #144
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

That is quite embarrassing.
LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2021, 08:13 AM   #145
Nunz
RIP Roxen

We'll see once people get their hands on them. None of the leaks have looked good at all for RKL; Just seems like Intel throwing something out there while they focus on having Alder Lake ready for 2022.

The chip is only running 4.8Ghz all-core within the Turbo limit timeframe, which is typically pretty short. I'd expect that to hit at least 5.1Ghz, and also not drop down under 4.8Ghz once the Turbo time limit is hit, and that might give it a decent jump in performance.

I'm not sure anyone actually expected RKL to be a good option. The fact that the flagship is dropping from 10 to 8cores was the first red flag.

I hope Intel is working hard on Alder Lake. We need them to get their **** together.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 01:00 PM   #146
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

Alder Lake looks like a 1 for 1 response to ARM. You have to keep in mind that these CPUs are designed four to five years ahead. The mobile version looks so-so at best. We saw hints of Rocket Lake performance already months ago with Ice Lake. Not clear what process the desktop version Alder Lake will be on, but don't see the ''big.little'' being a speed demon in enthusiast applications. We may not see a real response to AMD's Ryzen till after Alder Lake I'm afraid.
LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2021, 04:50 PM   #147
demo
space cadet

I've not seen evidence of better results and agree it doesn't look great, but keep in mind they had constant crashes and BSOD's using an ES, with unknown z590 board that has power limit issues with beta microcode.. so I wouldn't put too much weight in those results just yet.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 06:11 PM   #148
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Losing the two cores from the flagship is rough if the performance increase is as small as it's looking. But I almost don't see why Intel even would bother backporting RKL if the improvements are so limited, so...
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2021, 06:21 PM   #149
demo
space cadet

It's difficult to say at this point. It doesn't necessarily translate to gaming performance but despite a 2 core deficit Geekbench scores on established z490 platform edged out 10900k in multithread and 35% faster in single thread.

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-co...core-benchmark
Old Feb 13, 2021, 08:48 PM   #150
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Geekbench is garbage and not indicative of anything.