Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

Old Mar 19, 2021, 01:25 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default help: gparted alternative / need partition resize app that can run IN windows

Actually doing some hamster maintenance, and need to move / resize some partitions. I need to do this remotely, so booting from media is not a preferred option. Which is what I normally do via gparted.

So far the only apps I'm seeing are gimped. I need something that will run on server 2008.

Basically what I have is this:

OS partition / data partition / free space

I need to move the free space to between OS and data, so I can expand the OS partition. That has been the root cause of many of our R3D server issues, in that we're are OUT of space on the OS partition.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2021, 05:13 PM   #2
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

why not create a new partition in the free space and move and link some folders from the OS drive to the new partition?
Old Mar 19, 2021, 09:37 PM   #3
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Can't do it from Disk Management? (Control Panel> Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management)

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 20, 2021, 05:16 AM   #4
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

PowerQuest PartitionMagic still around and work? I used to use this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 07:01 AM   #5
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I've used diskpart successfully in the (distant) past....
And is resizing to suit the need not an option? Sorry if I'm off the mark here, it's been awhile but shrink the free space, resize the others as needed?

edit: It should work, and can be done remotely. I really need to brush back up on this stuff.

https://www.partition-windows-server...08-server.html
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2021, 02:50 PM   #6
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Can't do it from Disk Management? (Control Panel> Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management)
Unless I've lost my mind, no. Here's the current layout: [C][D][Free Space]. Disk management doesn't provide for moving [D], so that the free space is next to [C]. So all I can do right now is expand [D], which isn't helpful. I need to expand [C]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
I've used diskpart successfully in the (distant) past....
And is resizing to suit the need not an option? Sorry if I'm off the mark here, it's been awhile but shrink the free space, resize the others as needed?

edit: It should work, and can be done remotely. I really need to brush back up on this stuff.

https://www.partition-windows-server...08-server.html
Hmm, I'll have to look at that again. I thought it required booting from media rather than from within the OS.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 02:52 PM   #7
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post
why not create a new partition in the free space and move and link some folders from the OS drive to the new partition?
We've been doing that for years, moving and redirecting to [Z]. I don't know what else I can redirect / move at this point.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 03:11 PM   #8
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Unless I've lost my mind, no. Here's the current layout: [C][D][Free Space]. Disk management doesn't provide for moving [D], so that the free space is next to [C]. So all I can do right now is expand [D], which isn't helpful. I need to expand [C]

Hmm, I'll have to look at that again. I thought it required booting from media rather than from within the OS.
I thought so long as the physical disk is the same it wouldn't care which letter you expended... probably just remembering that wrong.

You could expand D, robocopy C to D and switch them.... although that might cause it's own issues.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2021, 03:11 PM   #9
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Also FYI, there are things diskpart.exe can do via the command line that it can't via the UI.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2021, 04:06 PM   #10
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

I hope it works for you Lup...like I said I am ruuusty lol.

But it looks like this guy might have you covered ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Also FYI, there are things diskpart.exe can do via the command line that it can't via the UI.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 04:37 PM   #11
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I'm fine with command line. I just don't want to risk having to reboot / boot into media remotely. Anything goes wrong and R3D is down for a long time.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 11:58 AM   #12
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
I'm fine with command line. I just don't want to risk having to reboot / boot into media remotely. Anything goes wrong and R3D is down for a long time.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2021, 05:34 PM   #13
Lazy8s
One day at a time

We haven't heard back. Lupine lost between fsck and null?

Old Mar 29, 2021, 01:12 AM   #14
Lupine
Administrator

Lost between beginning and end of spring break lol. Took the week off to be with fam and work on honey-do-list. Will try to find time to tickle the hamsters this week.

Old Mar 29, 2021, 07:47 AM   #15
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Here you go Lup: I didn't see a 2021

Old Apr 1, 2021, 02:17 AM   #16
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with

I use this to do stuff, might work: https://www.partitionwizard.com/free...n-manager.html
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote