Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old May 5, 2021, 08:08 AM   #1171
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Was wondering something and didn't really feel it needed its own thread, so I'm asking here.

I've been using a 21:9 display for about 6-7 months now and played hundreds of gaming hours with it and I just had my first experience of motion sickness while gaming on it. I cannot say for sure if its the 21:9 aspect ratio, or just the game that's causing it, which is my question.

The game is question is Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. Yeah its an oldie, using the community made "Unofficial Patch" with it that adds widescreen support, so not sure if that has anything to do with it. I tried messing with the FOV and framerate cap settings which did not seem to help at all.

I can remember years ago one other game giving me motion sickness - Star Wars: Jedi Knight Outcast. But I could fix that simply by increasing the FOV to 90 or above, and that was well before I was using 21:9. But in Vampire this is not helping, which leads me to believe it could be this game plus the 21:9 aspect ratio. So testing that theory I played the game for a bit in 16:9 and I think it might have helped. Of course I still had the sickly feeling since it was right after playing for about 30 minutes in 21:9, so can't say for sure yet.

Has anyone else experienced this at all with 21:9? If so in which games, and what did you do to help it?
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2021, 08:35 AM   #1172
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

the only game that gave me motion sickness was Turok, but oh boy, i couldn't play the game at all, it was terrible. What i've gathered from friends over the years was that increasing the FOV helped in most cases. I do hope you get it sorted out

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2021, 08:39 AM   #1173
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
the only game that gave me motion sickness was Turok, but oh boy, i couldn't play the game at all, it was terrible. What i've gathered from friends over the years was that increasing the FOV helped in most cases. I do hope you get it sorted out
Yeah, the increasing FOV tip has been the go to solution for me in the past as I've mentioned. But for some reason it doesn't seem to be helping this time. The only difference is now I'm on 21:9 so it makes me wonder if that's what's causing it now.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 5, 2021, 08:51 AM   #1174
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

you're getting old

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Old May 5, 2021, 08:55 AM   #1175
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
you're getting old
I'm definitely getting old, but I don't think it has anything to do with this. I play tons of games and have only ever had this problem once or twice in my life. Its so weird.
Old May 5, 2021, 09:17 AM   #1176
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
I'm definitely getting old, but I don't think it has anything to do with this. I play tons of games and have only ever had this problem once or twice in my life. Its so weird.
was just pulling yer leg

Old May 5, 2021, 09:51 AM   #1177
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I had it happen one time in Hell Let Loose, and that was due to the FOV. I went to 95-100 FOV and that fixed it.

With the age of the game, even with community patches, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't rendering the way it should or the FOV is not changing the view correctly.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2021, 10:00 AM   #1178
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I had it happen one time in Hell Let Loose, and that was due to the FOV. I went to 95-100 FOV and that fixed it.

With the age of the game, even with community patches, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't rendering the way it should or the FOV is not changing the view correctly.
That could be the case, something screwy with the game and how its rendering in 21:9.

I did consider that last night and tried looking it up to see if anyone else complained about it but didn't find anything. Blah, I may just need to deal with it or just play the game at 16:9.
Old May 5, 2021, 03:11 PM   #1179
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

If there any type of view bob you may want to look into seeing if you can disable it. That can cause motion sickness for some people.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2021, 07:11 PM   #1180
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
If there any type of view bob you may want to look into seeing if you can disable it. That can cause motion sickness for some people.
Good suggestion. I looked for a console command or autoexec.cfg file to enter for disabling head bob but couldnt find anything.

I did however find one that improves the quick sliding around motion the player character has - sv_friction "10"

Seems to have helped a little. Its less of a headache to look at the game now. Going to try for a while and see.
Old May 10, 2021, 05:59 PM   #1181
djsolidsnake86
Radeon R420

djsolidsnake86 is still being judged by the masses

Hi guys, using a wifi smart plug on a pc monitor, i was wondering if this will damage the monitor at all since turning it off is basically like unplugging the monitor while it's still turned on , it can damage the display electronics?
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2021, 03:37 PM   #1182
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

just saw a review of the Gigabyte AORUS FV43U. Holy shyt, what a great monitor. Not cheap, but wow.

Old Jun 12, 2021, 04:46 PM   #1183
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
just saw a review of the Gigabyte AORUS FV43U. Holy shyt, what a great monitor. Not cheap, but wow.
It looks pretty great. But 2 things are kinda lets downs for me.

- HDR1000, sounds great, but that spec no longer requires FALD. So we don't know how many dimable zones this has, but it likely won't be allot as they aren't touting it anywhere.
- 8-bit+FRC to achieve 10-bit is not ideal, but not bad.

For such a premium monitor, I would expect both FALD backlight and a 10-bit panel.

You know what, **** it. The more I think about it, the less those two things matter much. VA's can get almost plasma levels of inky black and 8-bit+FRC is often almost impossible to see a difference.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Jun 12, 2021, 06:11 PM   #1184
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It's ok/good, the panel that they're using isn't fast enough for it to be great.

It's better than those old 43" models from Acer and Asus, but it is not on the level of the va panels that samsung is using in their current monitors.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2021, 07:29 PM   #1185
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

It's decent but unfortunately still has BGR pixel layout like the other 43" panels. Some have also complained about VA black smearing.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:47 AM   #1186
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Old Jun 14, 2021, 12:20 PM   #1187
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
... no. He's dismissing the flexibility of G-Sync/Freesync and DLSS a little tooooo much. Plus not every new release pushes the boundaries. We hit lulz in that all the time, where nothing for a GPU generation/'s needs more performance.

Honestly yes. This person should skip the 3000 series(especially this late and with the pricing being soooo stupid). And his advice of always chasing the high-end card is garbage. You can skip a generation easily and you wouldn't be dropping to "low" settings to pull it off.

System:
Old Jun 14, 2021, 01:02 PM   #1188
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

I feel he is talking about trying to achieve as close to 144hz // 144fps at 1440p ultrawide as possible in the newest games every year.Add also RTX to the mix ...
Old Jun 14, 2021, 02:06 PM   #1189
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
... no. He's dismissing the flexibility of G-Sync/Freesync and DLSS a little tooooo much. Plus not every new release pushes the boundaries. We hit lulz in that all the time, where nothing for a GPU generation/'s needs more performance.

Honestly yes. This person should skip the 3000 series(especially this late and with the pricing being soooo stupid). And his advice of always chasing the high-end card is garbage. You can skip a generation easily and you wouldn't be dropping to "low" settings to pull it off.

Badsykes always links to these goofballs. I dont know why shes on screen she doesnt add anything to the video and hes always off the mark.

If you have a 27inch monitor (1440p) the equivalent 27 inch ultrawide would be (2560x1080) which is actually less pixels to push. He immediately jumped to 3440x1440 to compare and downplay ultrawide.

Take these people off your watch list

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2021, 02:16 PM   #1190
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

The UW equivalent to a 27" 1440p monitor is a 34" 3440x1440p monitor.

The 16:9 match for a 29" 2560x1080 monitor is a 24" 1080p display.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 02:21 PM   #1191
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

This guys advice, always banks to the high-end and scoffs off the flexibility of the PC platform. You don't always need to be able to pull the highest FPS to match the Hz. And frankly, you can't always do that anyway. Some games will push things so far it's impossible till a generation, or two later, to get FPS that high. Or take for instance the 360hz monitors. That's an impossibly high FPS to always be able to achieve in all games.

As for his wife, she works in the experience of the larger podcast, but usually not on these question/advice pieces. He's mostly the one answering, which is fine. Lotta podcasts work that way.

System:
Old Jun 14, 2021, 02:34 PM   #1192
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
The UW equivalent to a 27" 1440p monitor is a 34" 3440x1440p monitor.

The 16:9 match for a 29" 2560x1080 monitor is a 24" 1080p display.

Not if we are considering price which seems to be his point in all of it.

Typically 34 UWs arent the same price of 27 1440p if they have similar specs.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2021, 04:05 PM   #1193
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I'm not sure he has looked at too many benchmarks. 3440x1440 is not that much more difficult to run compared to 2560x1440. I know this because I've gone from 1080P 144Hz to 1440P 165Hz to 3840x1600 160Hz. The "numbers" look big, but it's not that much of a loss.

They also bring up the vRAM of the 3090 as if 10-12GB of vRAM is a limiting factor at 3440x1440. He's wrong about having to buy the best every round. You don't need a 3090 or TITAN equivalent every generation, especially not at 3440x1440.

DLSS is a non-factor at this stage since it's really not common in many games yet. When it is, then that's a useful counter-point, but it's not there yet. GSync/FreeSync are great but they aren't magic. 40FPS still feels like **** compared to 100FPS, though 40FPS with GSync is much more tolerable than 40FPS without it.

Regardless, his point is that you need to buy a flagship GPU in order to run 3440x1440. He is wrong.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2021, 05:10 PM   #1194
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I'm not sure he has looked at too many benchmarks. 3440x1440 is not that much more difficult to run compared to 2560x1440. I know this because I've gone from 1080P 144Hz to 1440P 165Hz to 3840x1600 160Hz. The "numbers" look big, but it's not that much of a loss.

They also bring up the vRAM of the 3090 as if 10-12GB of vRAM is a limiting factor at 3440x1440. He's wrong about having to buy the best every round. You don't need a 3090 or TITAN equivalent every generation, especially not at 3440x1440.

DLSS is a non-factor at this stage since it's really not common in many games yet. When it is, then that's a useful counter-point, but it's not there yet. GSync/FreeSync are great but they aren't magic. 40FPS still feels like **** compared to 100FPS, though 40FPS with GSync is much more tolerable than 40FPS without it.

Regardless, his point is that you need to buy a flagship GPU in order to run 3440x1440. He is wrong.
Nailed it

System:
Old Jun 15, 2021, 02:32 AM   #1195
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

wth guys .... really ?

At minute 2.55 they test AC Valhala at 1440p.The 6900xt put 105 fps. If you have a 1440p 144hz monitor and you want as close to 144fps needs a flagship that don't even exist.If a new AC in 2021 with even demanding graphics will make all current flagships barely hit 70fps or less.
Shadow of tomb raider that's an old game at 1440p has barely reach 174 fps with the 6900XT
Horizon Zero Dawn has reaching 146fps with 6900XT at 1440p ....
Cyberpunk 2077 1440p Ultra High maxes out on a 3090 at 99 fps ?

How you don't need a flagship with 1440p of resolution and 144hz // 144fps monitor with all this numbers ? Also there is no RTX involved in above titles.
HU from what i know tests with standard 1440p resolution and not ultrawide...Ultrawide is even more demanding...
From HU benchmarks if you want 1440p in latest triple games every year one needs a flagship every 2 years....
And as nice ass DLSS 2.0 is i feel this is compensating for the lack of gpu horsepower for some current and future RTX implementation.
If i spend 2000$ on a vga i litarally NOT willing to drop down quality.C'mon guys.
It's ironic that many laughed at me for having 60hz monitor enough and now insinuating that having 70 fps with "old" flagships in a new triple AAA game is nice... ? Really ?

Last edited by badsykes : Jun 15, 2021 at 03:13 AM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2021, 02:55 AM   #1196
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Dude, for MP games you just drop shadows from extreme to ultra or some other setting that makes practically no visual difference and gains you a lot of FPS.

Plus, you also have Gsync, so you don't notice the drops from 144fps to 110 or whatever so much. Gsync is a game changer as you don't have to be so worried about FPS and achieving max refresh rate for it to remain smooth.

In single player, who cares? As long as it's 70+ or so I'm fine with it, but aim for around 100FPS.

Honestly I'm running everything at 3840x1600 144hz and 4k 60hz just fine.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 03:44 AM   #1197
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

demo: I do the turn down stuff at 500$ gpu but at 2000$ ? Really ? I feel the people with flagships are more "tricked" than the ones with 500$ gpu's.
In my case if i keep the card for 4 years then it's other story.

Another thing so much premium monitors advertising to actually realise that triple AAA games can be played at 80fps average ?
You still play at 50fps or 40 fps with or without G-sync.It's under 60fps anyway ? Do you like to lie to yourself ?
I feel there is a serious overhyping about this....

Last edited by badsykes : Jun 15, 2021 at 04:02 AM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2021, 03:49 AM   #1198
demo
space cadet

Everything is running just fine on my rig. /shrug
Old Jun 15, 2021, 04:47 AM   #1199
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

The funny part is many rich people here that got 2080ti replaced it with 3080 or 3090.From flagship to flagship.
Some wanted to go from 3080 to 3080ti if there was stock ...
Old Jun 15, 2021, 05:13 AM   #1200
Mangler
PC

You're kind of missing the point of VRR if you want to be at your max hz 100% of the time.