Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 13, 2020, 12:14 AM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
What is the general consensus as far as enabling 2T and disabling gear down mode vs. 1T and keeping it enabled?
not using gear down mode can cause stability problems. In the end you are more likely to have a higher OC with GDM on and 1T vs GDM off and 2T the only time this is not the case is if you are trying to OC and can not get your CAS to 14 stable turning GDM off also lets you use an odd CAS timing so you can do 15 CAS instead of having to jump to 16 CAS potentially.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2020, 12:59 AM   #122
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

My final thoughts on this build are the following.
It was one costly mofo and completely unnecessary. If you are pushing AMD 2000 or 3000 it makes sense to maybe buy these processors but if you are on an Intel platform it doesn’t make sense for gaming.

I did not quite see the uplifts that people saw in their benches. At 1440P and above it really doesn’t matter. You are doing well with you 6/8 core processor for the foreseeable future.

12 cores are a lot. Just watching windows load or Cinebench run gives you a feeling of something special. But beyond that everything is par for the course. The other few scenarios where I saw improvement and might be a placebo only are:
HZD - Ran smooth like butter. Absolutely no hitches
Cyberpunk 2077 - felt much smoother (though seems like a bug with AMD)
ACO - no more hitching when changing significant scenery while running around (happened very rarely)
COD BOCW would hitch from time to time in MP when I maxed out RTX (it no longer does that on 5900X - unfortunately didn’t test 5600X to confirm if placebo but was definitely happening on 8086K - again very occasional with a lot going on the screen)

For all CPU based benches outside gaming. This destroys the 8086K and also the 5600X.
For gaming I saw 1-5 FPS over my 8086K and another 1-3 FPS for 5900X.

The settings I tried running and left now are:
PBO On
3733 DDR4
1866 FCLK
Volts Auto (tried 1.25 and it was stable though not boosting as often to 4.95 GHz so went back)

I did try setting even ram to 16-18-18-18-38 1T at 1.4 volts but comp won’t boot up. The ram is just garbage. I didn’t try more tighter timings since every time I have to take a flat head screw driver to reset CMOS since battery is behind the video card. Whoever designed this motherboard was a frickin’ moron.

Now to the downsides compared to previous setup:
- Runs hot. At my 24 C ambient plus another 5 C under the table it idles at 45-46 C. This is with auto volts. With 1.25 volts I saw as low as 40C but see above why I went back
- Makes my TUF hit 67-68 C
- There is not much fun in trying to do anything. Everything practically leads to lower results
- Quite a costly upgrade for me. I paid about 600 for the processor, 258 for motherboard, 165 for ram, 190 for the case and about 125 for 4 fans. However, I was able to make up for this through sale of 8086K (board, proc and ram) for 435. Sold my Deepcool fans for about 56, sold my other ram kit for 123, sold my H55 and H80 coolers for 27 each. Sold my delid kit for 20 and my G10 bracket for another 15. . I also made another 122 bucks on my graphics card sale (FTW3). So total out of pocket was 513. Add another 30 bucks loss on the 5600X so about 550. I still have a case to sell which would probably be 60-80 back so ~500 bucks upgrade overall.

Now the positives:
- Runs games at about 74-75 C which is OK
- Smooth gameplay in everything
- RGB disco
- Future proof I guess

Overall I give this upgrade a 7/10. I may mess around once again coming weekend or winter break but until then I will be spending more time gaming now.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2020, 04:04 AM   #123
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

KAC: I am trying so hard to not debate your choices too much ... It's very hard to do this.As this video shows your huge sum of money spent now gave you longevity. The 12c is overkill now but not maybe in a 1 or 2 years..Cyberpunk imo just break the ice on this.

Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 13, 2020, 07:44 AM   #124
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Some examples.

ACO
5600X - 92
8086K - 92
5900X - 93

HZD
5600X - 130
8086K - 130
5900X - 132

That's exactly the kind of data I'm looking for, thanks. I was also looking into the 5600x but I see there's no point.

Cyberpunk likes CPU cores, no?

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2020, 08:00 AM   #125
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
There is not much fun in trying to do anything. Everything practically leads to lower results
Yep, this has been the consensus with Ryzen tweaking for over a year now, and mentioned many times by Ryzen users on this forum. But you needed to see for yourself i guess.

It does seem like a pointless side grade for you. But if you enjoy playing with new hardware as a hobby thats cool, and if not i really don't understand why you don't just figure out the results before going through all this by doing your research. I'm sure it'll only be a few months until you do it all again with the Intel RKL launch lol.

My suggestion, rather than always being lured by new hardware and chasing extra 1-5 fps, make your upgrade decisions based on whether or not your current system is still giving you the performance you need. I'm willing to bet your previous system was still more than capable.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2020, 08:22 AM   #126
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Yep, this has been the consensus with Ryzen tweaking for over a year now, and mentioned many times by Ryzen users on this forum. But you needed to see for yourself i guess.

It does seem like a pointless side grade for you. But if you enjoy playing with new hardware as a hobby thats cool, and if not i really don't understand why you don't just figure out the results before going through all this by doing your research. I'm sure it'll only be a few months until you do it all again with the Intel RKL launch lol.

My suggestion, rather than always being lured by new hardware and chasing extra 1-5 fps, make your upgrade decisions based on whether or not your current system is still giving you the performance you need. I'm willing to bet your previous system was still more than capable.
In the case of 5900x i don't think is useless upgrade especially now cyberpunk is here and needs cores.KAC already stated that 5900x brought a new immersion to the table like less hitching and smoothness..The price is very high for this smoothness.
In 2017 i bought the Ryzen 1700 instead of the 1600 for the same reasons.As i read KAC stuff i would really like to jump to 5900x instead of the 6c/12t just for this.I can't justify this 600$ cpu solely for gaming....Also i never payed 250$ mainboards.I can't justify them but somehow it feels intersting to try the 5900x experience...
The performance quantification jumping from 8086k to 5900x is not quantifieble so much in number of fps but in smoothness, less stuttering and longevity ....
Old Dec 13, 2020, 08:29 AM   #127
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I have stated multiple times and even joked about expecting a 1-5 FPS increase with this upgrade. It is no surprise. This is also why I didn’t want to derail the official 5000 series thread. I wanted to build a system as I had 500 lying around and did everything (with the exception of purchase of 5600X and TD500 case as per the plan).

The amount of research I have done this time is higher than any other hardware purchase done in recent memory. This is meeting my expectations on pretty much everything (even hitting 4.95 Gs on multi core boost while gaming - not all cores but multiple cores do boost to 4.95 at the same time).

As I said whether placebo or real there seems to be no more hitching in any game I have tried thus far. Something that happened ever so rarely with a 8086K.

All in all, was it worth it? For me it was for the joy of building a new system. For actual performance in gaming no it wasn’t.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 08:36 AM   #128
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
All in all, was it worth it? For me it was for the joy of building a new system. For actual performance in gaming no it wasnt.
Well if you've got the disposable income and at least having fun doing the build I'd say it's worth it even if you didn't gain a worthwhile performance boost.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2020, 08:57 AM   #129
CyanBlues
Radeon Southern Islands

CyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I don’t even know what gear down is but my ram runs 1T automatically.

Old Dec 13, 2020, 09:09 AM   #130
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I have stated multiple times and even joked about expecting a 1-5 FPS increase with this upgrade. It is no surprise. This is also why I didn’t want to derail the official 5000 series thread. I wanted to build a system as I had 500 lying around and did everything (with the exception of purchase of 5600X and TD500 case as per the plan).

The amount of research I have done this time is higher than any other hardware purchase done in recent memory. This is meeting my expectations on pretty much everything (even hitting 4.95 Gs on multi core boost while gaming - not all cores but multiple cores do boost to 4.95 at the same time).

As I said whether placebo or real there seems to be no more hitching in any game I have tried thus far. Something that happened ever so rarely with a 8086K.

All in all, was it worth it? For me it was for the joy of building a new system. For actual performance in gaming no it wasn’t.

Old Dec 13, 2020, 09:19 AM   #131
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
I'm willing to bet your previous system was still more than capable.
It was, his own benchmarks show as much.

He might get a decent boost in Cyberpunk once the game is patched to use all his cores.

yoz
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:17 AM   #132
KAC
It might be gays!

Thanks guys for linking videos. I simply do not have time (or patience) to go through 30 min videos. I am more a reader still so if you can link me to articles or post cliffs that would be great. Otherwise no worries, I will continue to research and see if I can hit the magic 640 ST CR20 bench score. .
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:23 AM   #133
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Going to set my 3800mhz single rank trash to DOCP today and see if it blows up in my face. The whea errors I was getting are resolved with the new bios and leaving it at 3200mhz.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:25 AM   #134
KAC
It might be gays!

Why do you have single rank memory? I thought you ordered CL14 kit or something?

My 3600 kit shows up as dual rank.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:31 AM   #135
Riptide

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Because I derp'd and made a mistake. I thought 3800mhz cl14 samsung b-die was going to be faster than the 3600mhz cl16 hynix I had.

Turns out that was wrong based on all the benchmarks floating around now. 2x8gb kits are typically single rank memory. 2x16gb kits are dual rank. The hynix I had before was a 2x16gb dual rank kit.

I can drop another $200 on an identical kit if I want to go to dual rank. Debatable whether it's worth it at this point.

EDIT:
Seems like this stuff would rock, but good luck finding it in stock.
https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Produ...=9B-20-331-593

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 XT
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:32 AM   #136
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Subscriber

Glad you're happy with it KAC. I will say to your comment about not being able to tweak as it just results in lower fps - says something that AMD did the work for you. Sure not as fun for us overclockers, but it is nice to just plug in and play.

Seeing your results from the upgrade - no way am I upgrading to the 5900X from my 3900X. Does not seem worthwhile.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2020, 12:40 PM   #137
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Glad you're happy with it KAC. I will say to your comment about not being able to tweak as it just results in lower fps - says something that AMD did the work for you. Sure not as fun for us overclockers, but it is nice to just plug in and play.

Seeing your results from the upgrade - no way am I upgrading to the 5900X from my 3900X. Does not seem worthwhile.
Totally not worth it for you since you already have a 12 core CPU and a 3090.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 09:16 PM   #138
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

I just put a ticket into Epic for the ridiculous 10c temp rise on my 5900X while it is running. I'm sure it will go no where. It hadn't been doing that before last week. I thought it was the new BIOS but now that you were having the same thing I think its the launcher.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2020, 09:33 PM   #139
Riptide

Running the latest release BIOS on this TUF and 3800mhz DOCP w/fclk set to 1900mhz is not stable. Tons of whea errors in the log and it hard locked on me after running for about 10 hours.

Back to 3600mhz now, and still see a few whea errors already. The 'correctable' kind sure. We'll see if it can continue running or if/when it blows up again.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 XT
Old Dec 13, 2020, 09:44 PM   #140
KAC
It might be gays!

My limited experience with WHEA logger errors was that I needed a fresh install of Windows to make them go away. It was a software conflict causing the hardware to crash. All components were perfectly fine.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 09:47 PM   #141
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
I just put a ticket into Epic for the ridiculous 10c temp rise on my 5900X while it is running. I'm sure it will go no where. It hadn't been doing that before last week. I thought it was the new BIOS but now that you were having the same thing I think its the launcher.
I just disabled it from startup. Now idles between 45-50 C instead of 60-62 C.
If I put volts down to about 1.25 or can even try 1.2 then it will idle at 40 C.

I think next weekend I will try to go back to a push pull setup and clean up some of the cabling at the back. I am also thinking about ordering some LL140s instead of the case phanteks fans which make a weird annoying sound at 1100 RPM or higher. I have them set at 900 RPM and at that speed they are barely moving any air.

All this to bring some temperatures down. Btw I was wrong about my TUF hitting 67-68C. It maxed out at 64 C but usually ran 62 C while playing COD BOCW and Cyberpunk 2077. No change from before.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 07:27 AM   #142
Riptide

No WHEA errors this morning in the log so far after downclocking the memory to 3600mhz and fclk to 1800mhz.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 XT
Old Dec 14, 2020, 08:54 AM   #143
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
No WHEA errors this morning in the log so far after downclocking the memory to 3600mhz and fclk to 1800mhz.
That’s b die 3600?
Old Dec 14, 2020, 11:49 AM   #144
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

KAC: this is specially for you

Old Dec 14, 2020, 12:35 PM   #145
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
KAC: this is specially for you
No, for me as well. At 1440p high detail the CPU starts playing a secondary role to the GPU, as expected.

yoz
Old Dec 14, 2020, 05:33 PM   #146
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
I just disabled it from startup. Now idles between 45-50 C instead of 60-62 C.
If I put volts down to about 1.25 or can even try 1.2 then it will idle at 40 C.

I think next weekend I will try to go back to a push pull setup and clean up some of the cabling at the back. I am also thinking about ordering some LL140s instead of the case phanteks fans which make a weird annoying sound at 1100 RPM or higher. I have them set at 900 RPM and at that speed they are barely moving any air.

All this to bring some temperatures down. Btw I was wrong about my TUF hitting 67-68C. It maxed out at 64 C but usually ran 62 C while playing COD BOCW and Cyberpunk 2077. No change from before.
What a waste of 20 mins. of my day, as I figured.

Hello,

My name is Oscar, Tech Specialist from Epic Games Player Support and I'll be happy to assist you. Thank you very much for contacting us!

I've been through all of your case carefully and I understand your request about the temperature of your processor and don't worry, I'll do my best to help you with this matter!

Allow me to tell you that in this case your issue is more related to the configuration you have on your PC, because different factors can affect the temperature or the performance of your components. For this reason, it is necessary that you contact your Hardware provider, in this case AMD, because you have temperature failures in your processor and support for Hardware equipment is out of our reach to provide support.

Fortunately, AMD has a page for technical support where you can receive good attention and support to solve this problem as soon as possible: https://www.amd.com/en/support

Any other concerns you might have, feel free to let me know, as I remain at your disposal!
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2020, 04:03 AM   #147
KAC
It might be gays!

Here are my CPU Z bench scores.

https://valid.x86.fr/zcjich
Old Dec 15, 2020, 06:54 AM   #148
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Here are my CPU Z bench scores.

https://valid.x86.fr/zcjich
Guessing you can tighten up RAM timings (from default) and improve performance a percent or two....
Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:37 PM   #149
KAC
It might be gays!

Will going full water be a good idea? I have some parts from my predator AIO that I can use like the cpu block, the quick disconnect tubes and the rad. Only need a reservoir and pump. What do you gays think?
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:03 AM   #150
KAC
It might be gays!

Btw these are my CPU speeds whilst playing Cyberjunk. Good enough? Not all cores at the same time but I have seen about 4 cores or so hitting 4.9 Gs and above regularly.