Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Feb 3, 2006, 08:40 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
RiP_AnD_DiE
Banned

RiP_AnD_DiE is still being judged by the masses

resident evil 4

has anyone played it ive been dying to try it out but havnt had the chance yet and i was wondering what its about and if it is any better than code veronica(<<sucked ass)
RiP_AnD_DiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 08:45 AM   #2
Deaderinred
Banned

Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

gameplay rocks, story sucks, dunno how the ps2 version faired but the gamecube the gfx were pretty nice too
Deaderinred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:23 AM   #3
Miikkrusoff
Rage3D Veteran

Miikkrusoff is still being judged by the masses

it's so much better control-wise than the other RE games. Go pick it up - it's only $20.
Miikkrusoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 3, 2006, 12:53 PM   #4
RiP_AnD_DiE
Banned

RiP_AnD_DiE is still being judged by the masses

does it have a short story line or a long story line because if it is short i would rather rent it.
RiP_AnD_DiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 01:09 PM   #5
CowboyBebop
Rage3D Sage

CowboyBebop is still being judged by the masses

my nephew picked it up says that overall he likes the GCN version better but they are pretty much the same.
CowboyBebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 01:15 PM   #6
dark_preacher
Radeon Arctic Islands

Location: United States i'm no hero. never was. never will be.
dark_preacher is still being judged by the masses

it's a great game, just buy it. i own it 2 times over and don't regret either purchase.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 01:18 PM   #7
Unreal
The New Season

Unreal is still being judged by the masses

you cant miss out on resident evil 4, its an essential purchase
Gaming PC: Intel C2D E4400 @ 3.0Ghz | Arctic Cooling F7 Pro | Asus P5N-E SLI | 3GB OCZ DDR2 Platinum XTC | eVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative Audigy 2 ZS | Internal: Maxtor 200GB SATA | External: Seagate 1TB | Sony DW-D23A 16x DVD±RW | Windows 7 32Bit | 3DMark06: 11,179

Consoles: PlayStation 3 & PlayStation Portable
Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 01:48 PM   #8
Fragmastergen
Radeon R520

Fragmastergen is still being judged by the masses

the game kicks ass

if u have your choice ull probably wanna get it for ps2 because its got a lot more extras, although i think the gc has slightly better graphics.

or u might wanna wait till it comes out for pc which should be in about a month
Gigabyte ATI X800 xt 256mb
Creative Audigy 2
Fragmastergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 08:42 PM   #9
seiji-kun
Radeon R600

seiji-kun is still being judged by the masses

While I don't know how the pc port is going to fare, I'd have to agree that you should wait and see how that turns out if you've got a decent pc. Not that there's anything wrong with the console versions, its just that either one you buy, you're going to be missing out on something. If you get the GC version, you'll miss out on the Separate Ways addition found on the PS2 version. On the other hand, if you get the PS2 version, you'll have to do with some slightly less impressive visuals. (But it was still very well done for the PS2, IMO.) Though, if the pc port turns out well, you'd be essentially getting the best of both worlds.

Oh, and to clarify the price, I believe the GC version is the only one at $19.99. The PS2 version just came out, so I don't think the price would drop that fast.
seiji-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:01 PM   #10
jrw
Radeon R200

jrw is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

I played through Cubes version and it was an incredible experience, No one should miss this game. According to IGN's head2head comparison it seems the PS2 ver is a bit lacking but probably still enjoyable (longer load times , some lighting effects lost , sound quality degraded,framerate not as stable,less particle effects).

I wasnt aware PC was getting this game..I'll definitely have to play through it again when that happens
2GB PC3200 Corsair XMS
EVGA 7800GTX 512MB
Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic / Logitech Z5500's
NEC-3540A DL Burner
730GB Total HDD
WinXP
Sony GDM-FW900 24" CRT

jrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:54 PM   #11
Miikkrusoff
Rage3D Veteran

Miikkrusoff is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw
I played through Cubes version and it was an incredible experience, No one should miss this game. According to IGN's head2head comparison it seems the PS2 ver is a bit lacking but probably still enjoyable (longer load times , some lighting effects lost , sound quality degraded,framerate not as stable,less particle effects).

I wasnt aware PC was getting this game..I'll definitely have to play through it again when that happens
it might be getting this game. no guarantees yet. but that doesn't mean it'll look any better.
Miikkrusoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 01:56 AM   #12
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miikkrusoff
it might be getting this game. no guarantees yet. but that doesn't mean it'll look any better.
1280x720 8xaa 16xaf will look alot better then what any last gen console produced of Resi evil 4.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 03:19 AM   #13
andrewfee
Rage3D Veteran

andrewfee is still being judged by the masses

The PC one will definitely look better than either of the console versions, as they were both very low resolution without any (or enough, at least) anti-aliasing.

I haven't finished it on PS2 yet, but am a fair bit in and have yet to see the framerate drop. If you hadn't played the Gamecube version, you wouldn't know it was a port, it's very, very well done. There really isn't a whole lot between the two versions either.

Anyone that says the PS2 version of the game is bad hasn't played it, or is completely biased. (I have owned both versions)
andrewfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 03:45 AM   #14
jrw
Radeon R200

Heres some snips from IGNs RE4 Head2Head article:

Graphics:

The Breakdown: Visually, the PS2 had its work cut out for it matching the graphical excellence of the original and from the first frame of the first scene, in the first level, noticeable (but slight) downgrading was made to compensate for the PS2's less memory space. The significant compromise that inevitably had to be made is the resolution of environmental textures and lighting throughout the games separate stages. But also, minor intricacies like the leather and fur on Leon's jacket, and fog effects don't look quite as authentic as they did on the GameCube, though only if you've spent time with the original, will you notice. Specifically, in high contrast areas where light and dark plays off one other, lighting effects have been toned down making the moody atmospheres not as, well, moody in areas like the frozen lab and the mining tunnels. Larger creatures like "El Gigante'" for example, loose some of their detail and users can see more jagged and smooth edges around what would have been curved, cracked skin on the GCN. One aspect of the PS2 version that only becomes apparent when placed side-by-side with the Gamecube, is it's lower polygon count. Watch the two videos and you can see that trees were removed or made smaller, and certain particle effects, like the catapult explosions in the castle are missing entirely."

Sound:

"The Breakdown:Unfortunately, with the awe inspiring level of detail and precision that went into developing the visual elements of RE4; the sound design didn't receive quite as much attention. Dolby Pro Logic II is available for both PS2 and GameCube versions, and if you haven't yet convinced yourself to splurge on a 5.1 surround system, this is the quintessential video game to do it for. I challenge anyone with a 5.1 setup to play RE4 by themselves at home, in the middle of the night, with all the lights turned off. When you think you hear something whisper "gohidlo" in your left ear while wandering the depths of a crumbling 17th century European castle, turn around fast because there's going to be a spiked iron mace flying directly toward your skull.

The SFX library is significantly compressed on the PS2 installment, making everything from dynamite explosions to cutting-open boxes sound squashed, and that overall loss of dynamics weakens the oh-so important level of suck-you-in immersion that separates RE4 from so many other games. Certain pre-recorded effects sound bland and lack the range of frequencies decibal range of the identical sounds on the GCN. A prime example is the shattering of porcelain vases in the second and third chapters of the main story. The high end frequencies you're supposed to be hearing when the shards break apart are missing, and it leaves this muddy artificial sound in its place. Whether or not this is a porting issue I can't say, but if I had to guess; the drop in overall sound quality on PS2 was likely due to the memory constraints of the PS2 hardware."

"Final Verdict
Honestly; PS2 users should appreciate even having this game available for the system. Who knows what convinced Capcom to pull Resident Evil 4 out of its comfy GameCube exclusive position, but despite the initial negative reactions from fan boys and IGN employees alike, it looks like a wise choice. With reaching the level of graphical detail set by the original GCN version not really an option, Sony added enough bonus material in the PS2 copy to warrant another purchase from someone who hasn't yet blown enough Los Illuminados heads off.

Graphically, the GameCube is superior in many ways (despite it's lack of true 16:9 widescreen), and most notably with its lighting effects, and environmental textures. The PS2 impressively matched the GCN's rock solid framerate, except during a few intense action sequences, and closed-quarter areas visited during the main story. The Cube version also sounds better due to the compression of sound effects on the PS2 (likely a result of the intense level of visual detail). Also, control of movement and aiming is more fluent and responsive on the GCN, obviously a result of being the original system the title was developed for. The "Seperate Ways" missions are the only legitimate reason to repurchase RE4 if you own the GameCube version already, as the new costumes and bonus weapon available on the PS2 shouldn't warrant spending another 40-plus dollars on the game.

Summing Up: If you desire greater level of options, and a more versatile experience with successive playthroughs; go with the PS2 version for all it's bonus features.

If you prefer greater level of graphical detail, more dynamic sound, and a more intense and immersive atmosphere; pick up the original GameCube version."
2GB PC3200 Corsair XMS
EVGA 7800GTX 512MB
NEC-3540A DL Burner
730GB Total HDD
WinXP
Sony GDM-FW900 24" CRT

Old Feb 4, 2006, 11:40 AM   #15
d6969g
Radeon R300

d6969g is still being judged by the masses

SICKEST GAME EVER played it 3 times
d6969g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:15 PM   #16
CowboyBebop
Rage3D Sage

CowboyBebop is still being judged by the masses

Again I can't comment on the ps2 version, but from what I hear it's almost the same but the cube version was/is Incredible. Definately a must have either way, it was the first time in a long time I got such a great feeling of anxiety playing a game. It's a really great game.
CowboyBebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 02:04 PM   #17
andrewfee
Rage3D Veteran

andrewfee is still being judged by the masses

I have to say that I've read the comparison, and feel that IGN was a bit unfair on the PS2 version. (then again, the majority of their articles / reviews are rather poor these days, in my opinion)

On a widescreen display, chances are that the PS2 version will look better, as it's got a widescreen option, whereas the 'cube will have to use your television's "zoom" function.

RE4 also has issues in 480p on the cube with older displays - a lot of older HDTVs force 480p into widescreen, vertically compressing the image, whereas it's fine on the PS2. Other sets may let you put it into 4:3, but not allow you to zoom, leaving you with a tiny window in the middle of your screen.

Either way, both versions are great, and well worth a purchase. If you've got a 4:3 set and both systems, the gamecube is the one to get, hands down. If not, then it all depends.
andrewfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 09:08 PM   #18
plan-9
Radeon Northern Islands

plan-9 is still being judged by the masses

i cant believe people are still trying to decide whether or not to pick up this game!!! Of couse you should. it should be clear to everyone by now that this is easily one of the best games produced this generation on any platform. if you got a gc pick it up. you got a ps2 pick it up. if you got a pc, you could wait a few months and get it for pc or grab a gc, trust me its worth it just for this 1 game..of course the gc has a lot of great games on it. if you got an xbox, slap yourself, then buy a gc and this game!
plan-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 10:21 PM   #19
ViCyniC
Radeon Arctic Islands

ViCyniC is still being judged by the masses

One of the best Gamecube games.
ViCyniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 09:02 AM   #20
jrw
Radeon R200

Also worth noting that RE4 got not only Game of the Year 2005 by Gamespot and other sites but also by user votes as well

Link to Gamespot article:
http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/adv...f%20the%20year

Link to Gamespot game of the year video footage:
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/video_...id=6141602&pid=
2GB PC3200 Corsair XMS
EVGA 7800GTX 512MB
NEC-3540A DL Burner
730GB Total HDD
WinXP
Sony GDM-FW900 24" CRT

Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:29 AM   #21
quietfool
Custom User Title

quietfool is still being judged by the masses

I think Im about the only person that didn't like RE4. I've never liked any of the other resident evil games I've tried but I was willing to give this one a try just because I heard it was different and didn't see one bad review about it.

I thought it was really boring and it felt like more of a chore than fun. I tried to force myself to like it but I finally gave up and returned it for a differen't game. I kept feeling like there was a great game hiding in it somewhere but I couldn't find it. I think I was ~12 hours through it when I gave up on it. The thing that annoyed the heck out of me was the lack of save points. I hated being excited I finally got past a certain point only to be killed five minutes later and having to do it all over again. Maybe I just sucked at the game but I still think it should have had more save points. Frustrating != fun. The other thing that hurt it IMO was the story. A game doesn't need any story to be good but I think, in this case, it would have helped a lot to have a decent story.

Not trying to be a party pooper just trying to offer a differen't opinion. If your looking for a good gamecube game from that genre try Eternal Darkness. I enjoyed that game MUCH more and would consider it among the top games from last generation. Remember, Im one of the few people, if any, that didn't like this game so take this with a grain of salt.

Laptop: |Centrino Duo 2.0ghz| - |X1400| - |2gb DDR2 533mhz| - |100gb hd|

Consoles: Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, DS, PSP, PSWii60!

Who is Ron Paul?
quietfool is offline   Reply With Quote