Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:36 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
AllexxisF1
F- Insurrectionists

AllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English Channel

Default Intel To Lower Quad Proc to $266 !!!!

Looks like big blue is running **** scared

[img][/img]

Can you say Barcelona ready to kick some Intel ass.

Let the crow eating begin!!!
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:38 PM   #2
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Nice

What is TXT?
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:40 PM   #3
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

"Intel Mainstream Desktop Processor (pricing)". Penryn will be out by then. These chips are being relegated to "mainstream" status. Clearly not the competition for Barcelona.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:46 PM   #4
AllexxisF1
F- Insurrectionists

AllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English Channel

Ok let me see if I got this straight. Core 2 Duo was what, Intel's FIFTH response to the K7 Architecture, and now the Core 2 Duo (and quad) is NOT the competition for Barcelona?

Last edited by AllexxisF1 : Mar 12, 2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:51 PM   #5
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

At these prices we're the winners.

Praise be to competition!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:55 PM   #6
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
Ok let me see if I got this straight. Core 2 Duo was what, Intel's FIFTH response to the K7 Architecture, and now the Core 2 Duo (and quad) is NOT the competition for Barcelona?
Ok, what about the word MAINSTREAM do you not understand?

Penryn is Intel's answer to Barcelona. That is why Conroe is being moved down to the "mainstream" market segment. I didn't say "Core 2 Duo isn't Intel's competition for Barcelona", you did, because you misunderstood/misread.

BTW, don't take my statements to mean I'm an Intel fanboy. I'm one of the biggest AMD/ATI fans on teh intarweb.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 02:01 PM   #7
AllexxisF1
F- Insurrectionists

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
Ok, what about the word MAINSTREAM do you not understand?

Penryn is Intel's answer to Barcelona. That is why Conroe is being moved down to the "mainstream" market segment. I didn't say "Core 2 Duo isn't Intel's competition for Barcelona", you did, because you misunderstood/misread.

BTW, don't take my statements to mean I'm an Intel fanboy. I'm one of the biggest AMD/ATI fans on teh intarweb.
Shaid I know what mainstream means, but give me a break how is Intel's first quad core processor that only came out a few months ago not the direct competitor to AMD's first quad core processor?

Moreover who is to say Penryn will be out by year's end when all I have been seeing is 2nd half 2008. And isn't it only a die shrink from the Core 2 Duo architecture anyway?

Say what you want pal o mine, but the AMD cometh.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 02:10 PM   #8
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Shaid I know what mainstream means, but give me a break how is Intel's first quad core processor that only came out a few months ago not the direct competitor to AMD's first quad core processor?
1) Because "2H '07" means at least 3.5 months from now
2) Because Penryn is right around the corner

Quote:
Moreover who is to say Penryn will be out by year's end when all I have been seeing is 2nd half 2008. And isn't it only a die shrink from the Core 2 Duo architecture anyway?
I'd like to see even one legitimate, recent link that states this.

Quote:
Say what you want pal o mine, but the AMD cometh.
you really do think I'm an Intel fanboy for pointing out your mistake, don't you?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 02:23 PM   #9
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
False. Core 2 Duo is a response to K8 dual core. I'm certainly not an Intel fanboy, but your coming off very misinformed. P4 was the response to K7, Pentium M had NO bearing on K7 in the Isreali teams mind, they were aiming for low power use, and FAR exceeded K7's abilities in THAT regard. Core 2 Duo is the NATURAL evolution of that.

No, Core 2 Quad beat AMD to market by SUCH a large margin, that AMD's competition is QuadFX. And that's a joke by today's tech and will be until you can fill those sockets with Barcelona's. I'm a HUGE AMD fan, but they got rolled this round, Barcelona will be another chapter and will have a completely different Intel competitor to deal with.

Last edited by moshpit : Mar 12, 2007 at 02:25 PM.
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 02:56 PM   #10
AllexxisF1
F- Insurrectionists

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
1) Because "2H '07" means at least 3.5 months from now
2) Because Penryn is right around the corner
Ok so that article is suggesting...yea some solid evidence there

Quote:
I'd like to see even one legitimate, recent link that states this.
Did ya miss the question mark behind my question about is it a die shrink or not?

Quote:
you really do think I'm an Intel fanboy for pointing out your mistake, don't you?
First off, I have been coming here for God knows how long and been chatting up with you for years (most of the time backing your corner) so don't talk to me like some eight year old, you red headed freak

I know your not some Intel fanboy but Jesus age Christ how many chances does Intel get to one up AMD before Barcelona's true competitor comes out? If Penryn also get's it's ass handed to them is the next processor from Intel going to be Barcelona's competitor.

Quote:
False. Core 2 Duo is a response to K8 dual core. I'm certainly not an Intel fanboy, but your coming off very misinformed. P4 was the response to K7, Pentium M had NO bearing on K7 in the Isreali teams mind, they were aiming for low power use, and FAR exceeded K7's abilities in THAT regard. Core 2 Duo is the NATURAL evolution of that.
Sorry Mosh I got a tad mixed up with K7 and K8.

Last edited by AllexxisF1 : Mar 12, 2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 02:58 PM   #11
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

that q6600 has my name all over it

Shame its 2H07 though, I was hoping this would be something for the April 22nd rumours.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 03:05 PM   #12
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
that q6600 has my name all over it

Shame its 2H07 though, I was hoping this would be something for the April 22nd rumours.

I'm afraid we're more likely to see the Q6600 @ ~$500 4/22.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 03:23 PM   #13
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Hmm. well if thats true then I shall be taking my hard earned cash to get me a OC'ing mofo mobo for my AM2!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 03:35 PM   #14
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Ok so that article is suggesting...yea some solid evidence there
Infinitely superior to the ZERO evidence you've provided to support your claim
Here's some more:
link1
link2
link3

Quote:
Did ya miss the question mark behind my question about is it a die shrink or not?
Yes it's a die-shrink. It also features more cache, SSE4, and has "other" architectural tweaks. That's straight from the horse's mouth.

Quote:
First off, I have been coming here for God knows how long and been chatting up with you for years (most of the time backing your corner) so don't talk to me like some eight year old, you red headed freak
Don't post misinformation, and I won't disagree with you.

Quote:
I know your not some Intel fanboy but Jesus age Christ how many chances does Intel get to one up AMD before Barcelona's true competitor comes out? If Penryn also get's it's ass handed to them is the next processor from Intel going to be Barcelona's competitor.
You and I do not define what products compete against each other. The companies that make them do.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 03:53 PM   #15
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post

I'm afraid we're more likely to see the Q6600 @ ~$500 4/22.
Yup, exactly as expected. Last I heard was right around 530 bucks or so. Q3 is still a bit off, but I could do up to even around 560-ish for the Q6600 and feel good about the purchase.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 03:57 PM   #16
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Yup, exactly as expected. Last I heard was right around 530 bucks or so. Q3 is still a bit off, but I could do up to even around 560-ish for the Q6600 and feel good about the purchase.
@ $560 I'd still be tempted to jump on that QX6700 for $700 that I've been tracking.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 04:28 PM   #17
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

To this day I've never broken over 600 dollars on a CPU for my personal use, and I know that by some standards that's not alot, but by alot of folks standards that's 2x as much as they're willing to spend. Between 300 to 600 is pretty much my CPU cost limits. I got lucky on C2D, only paid just over 300 bucks for this last upgrade CPU-wise. That's the least I've spent on a CPU in a decade. But that X2 4400+ was 550 when I bought it, and that's nearly my upper limit, I had to seriously SCROUNGE every last penny for that one...
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:05 AM   #18
Lighthammer
Iowa Army National Guard

Lighthammer is still being judged by the masses

AMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
To this day I've never broken over 600 dollars on a CPU for my personal use, and I know that by some standards that's not alot, but by alot of folks standards that's 2x as much as they're willing to spend. Between 300 to 600 is pretty much my CPU cost limits. I got lucky on C2D, only paid just over 300 bucks for this last upgrade CPU-wise. That's the least I've spent on a CPU in a decade. But that X2 4400+ was 550 when I bought it, and that's nearly my upper limit, I had to seriously SCROUNGE every last penny for that one...

I know how you feel. I seem to have quite a few more bills to take care of now that I'm a civillian once again... I just can't justify spending upwards of $500-600 or more on a processor these days. I've managed to save up enough money for the upcomming release of the Barcelona, which will be a welcome upgrade for me and hopefully it will keep me happy for awhile.
SFF HTPC : ||AM2 Windsor (65w) X2 4600+|Biostar TForce 6100 nForce 430|1GB Ballistix DDR2 800 4-4-4-12|Sapphire X1650XT|Theater 550PRO|VIA Envy24 7.1 HD|160GB SATA2 HDD|SONY 16x DL DVD±RW|Vista Ultimate x86||
Spare PC : ||Mobile AMD64 3200+|MSI K8NGM-V 6100 nForce 410|1GB Ballistix DDR400|LeadTek 7300GT eXtreme|MSI WIRELESS LAN/BLUETOOTH|AOPEN COBRA 850D 5.1|40GB IDE HDD|SONY DVD/CD-RW COMBO|MCE 2005||

\\\ US PREMIER VERIFIED PAYPAL Rep : 442+ Verified Unique Transactions over 5 years strong! ///
Lighthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 02:48 AM   #19
seeker010
chaotic evil

seeker010 is still being judged by the masses

not to thread crap, but this deals with AMD processors how exactly, aside from the fact that barcelona doesn't exist yet?
Old Mar 13, 2007, 05:37 AM   #20
mlau

mlau is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
What is TXT?
"Trusted eXecution Technology", aka "LaGrande" (the TCPA stuff)
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:45 AM   #21
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker010 View Post
not to thread crap, but this deals with AMD processors how exactly, aside from the fact that barcelona doesn't exist yet?
True, it is intel rumours and should have gone in General Rumours etc or General HW, but some are using it to show that Intel is scairt of AMD's Barcelona
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:49 AM   #22
john2
Radeon Southern Islands

john2 is still being judged by the masses

Frankly........what's the point? Right now i'm GPU limited to most of my games as i'm playing them at 1280x1024 + 4xFSAA + 16xAF. The truth is that i have an overclocked CPU to 3.51Ghz but from 3.4 to 3.60 the difference is NONE. Tried Doom3,Test Drive Unlimited,Oblivion and Gothic3 and i can tell you that there isn't ANY difference (i didn't try Supreme Commander but WTF,it runs smoothly except when there are a lot of units and i have zoomed out). So what's the point to invest in a quad core or in another uber CPU when clearly the GPU is your limit? The best investment IMO is a Crossfire R600 (or SLI 8900GTX) system with a Core2Duo (overclocked to 3.4Ghz and above and if you want so much to have a quad core,just buy one that doesn't cost a lot) instead of a single 8900GTX/R600 system with a n uber super duper quad core processor.

Last edited by john2 : Mar 13, 2007 at 07:54 AM.
john2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:57 AM   #23
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Under your stipulations, there is no point for dual or quad cores. For those who use their computers for media encoding, htpc, distributed computing, photo manipulations, video editing, etc., will see a benefit in their experience.

The world don't turn just for games. Microsoft Office sells more copies than any game.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 09:18 AM   #24
john2
Radeon Southern Islands

john2 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Under your stipulations, there is no point for dual or quad cores. For those who use their computers for media encoding, htpc, distributed computing, photo manipulations, video editing, etc., will see a benefit in their experience.

The world don't turn just for games. Microsoft Office sells more copies than any game.
Indeed,i was talking only about the pc gamers
john2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 09:55 AM   #25
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Old Mar 13, 2007, 10:17 AM   #26
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

You guys know Supreme Commander benefits from quad-core (very much so, in fact), right?

Old Mar 13, 2007, 10:41 AM   #27
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Great 1 game onboard, just 100,000,000,000 to go!
Old Mar 13, 2007, 10:54 AM   #28
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Great 1 game onboard, just 100,000,000,000 to go!
john2 mentioned Supreme Commander and its clear CPU-limitation (i.e. "when lots of units are on the screen") so I found it a rather relevant comment to make.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:19 AM   #29
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

absolutely relevant, but doesn't detract from it being a one-of-a-billion game that uses more than 2 threads.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:21 AM   #30
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
absolutely relevant, but doesn't detract from it being a one-of-a-billion game that uses more than 2 threads.
Meh, more to come soon. Most of the A titles due out this year are set to take advantage of > 2 cores. It's just a question of how much.