Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 22, 2020, 10:14 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Supposedly the Note line isn't dead.
https://9to5google.com/2020/12/16/sa...e-2021-report/

The A series looks decent too, but to be perfectly honest I'm hoping for the biggest and "best" (that I am willing to shell out for) to be more affordable soon. Rumor has it that the S21 line will see lower price points than the S20s have, and the S20s will be discounted soon too due to the 21s release.

The S pen support for the S21 that SirBaron mentioned is something I would like as well...
The S Pen will be stored outside the phone. (Like in a case) The Note line would keep the S Pen inside the device. It'd also offer differentiators on the software front. I've heard rumors of them maybe throwing in a special edition of Adobe software for example.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 11:27 AM   #32
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
The S Pen will be stored outside the phone. (Like in a case) The Note line would keep the S Pen inside the device. It'd also offer differentiators on the software front. I've heard rumors of them maybe throwing in a special edition of Adobe software for example.
Yep, I would expect a case holder for the pen. The primary motivator I have at the moment is the camera. When the 20 series devices were released I thought the Notes and the S lines would have the same camera set up, and they don't. So I'm guessing the 21 series won't either...but I'm looking at ditching my DSLR because grandkids are just to damn fast for it

Truth be told I'm still up in the air about all of it, but right now am leaning towards a hopefully discounted S20 Ultra with that sweet camera. If they cut the price similarly as they did with the (non5g) note 10...I'm all in.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2020, 02:04 PM   #33
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

If it wasn't for the free active 2 watch I would have waited for the next phone. But 280 euro watch for free I come swimming and take that bait .
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 22, 2020, 02:57 PM   #34
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
If it wasn't for the free active 2 watch I would have waited for the next phone. But 280 euro watch for free I come swimming and take that bait .
If I had known you were that easy....
Old Dec 22, 2020, 04:51 PM   #35
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
If I had known you were that easy....
*Slowly pulls pants back up*

Sooooo that's a no?

Old Dec 22, 2020, 05:39 PM   #36
Lazy8s
One day at a time

ew
Old Dec 22, 2020, 06:37 PM   #37
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Yep, I would expect a case holder for the pen. The primary motivator I have at the moment is the camera. When the 20 series devices were released I thought the Notes and the S lines would have the same camera set up, and they don't. So I'm guessing the 21 series won't either...but I'm looking at ditching my DSLR because grandkids are just to damn fast for it

Truth be told I'm still up in the air about all of it, but right now am leaning towards a hopefully discounted S20 Ultra with that sweet camera. If they cut the price similarly as they did with the (non5g) note 10...I'm all in.
The Note 20 Ultra is the same camera setup as the S20 Ultra they just capped the zoom to be more realistic and improved the sensor and autofocus issues of the S20 Ultra.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 02:44 AM   #38
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Just got the phone and watch, ahhhh so glad to be on Android again.

Watch is really nice, will be much easier in work when I can't always get my phone easier for phone calls, or changing my music track.

Yes I work with music/podcasts on pretty much all day. Also nice that it comes with a Charger *a super fast charger no less* and earphones. (looks at Apple)
Old Dec 23, 2020, 04:31 AM   #39
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
The Note 20 Ultra is the same camera setup as the S20 Ultra they just capped the zoom to be more realistic and improved the sensor and autofocus issues of the S20 Ultra.
Having the same hardware is meaningless when the functionality and quality are different.

https://www.androidauthority.com/sam...amera-1151884/
Old Dec 23, 2020, 04:32 AM   #40
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:

Watch is really nice, will be much easier in work when I can't always get my phone easier for phone calls, or changing my music track.

Yes I work with music/podcasts on pretty much all day. Also nice that it comes with a Charger *a super fast charger no less* and earphones. (looks at Apple)
No kidding right?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 06:18 AM   #41
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
*Slowly pulls pants back up*

Sooooo that's a no?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2020, 09:59 AM   #42
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

The rumor is that Samsung will follow Apple's lead and not include a charger with the Galaxy S21 series. Not sure about earbuds, though. My guess is that if they are not gone this year, they will be the next.

Apple, for better or worse, sets precedents that other manufacturers follow.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:33 PM   #43
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
The rumor is that Samsung will follow Apple's lead and not include a charger with the Galaxy S21 series. Not sure about earbuds, though. My guess is that if they are not gone this year, they will be the next.

Apple, for better or worse, sets precedents that other manufacturers follow.
Honestly, I don't even use the charger that came with my Note 10+. Still using the Adaptive Fast Charger that came with my Note 5. (yes, I still have it.. and it still works after all these years.. Albeit its one of the early ones made in South Korea... lol)

So I see no issue with them dropping them from the package. HOWEVER- as a trade off- they should beef up the damn cable. Include a decent 3ft cable with the damn phones like an Anker Powerline II+ cable.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 06:05 PM   #44
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Honestly, I don't even use the charger that came with my Note 10+. Still using the Adaptive Fast Charger that came with my Note 5. (yes, I still have it.. and it still works after all these years.. Albeit its one of the early ones made in South Korea... lol)

So I see no issue with them dropping them from the package. HOWEVER- as a trade off- they should beef up the damn cable. Include a decent 3ft cable with the damn phones like an Anker Powerline II+ cable.
I don't like the fact that something critical to using one's phone is not included in the box, and I don't like Apple's disingenuousness about their reasons for not including it. There is certainly an environmental argument to be made, sure, but Apple's main reason for not shipping a power adapter with their products is mainly greed. The least they could do is offer to ship you one for free if one is needed.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2021, 06:44 PM   #45
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
I don't like the fact that something critical to using one's phone is not included in the box, and I don't like Apple's disingenuousness about their reasons for not including it. There is certainly an environmental argument to be made, sure, but Apple's main reason for not shipping a power adapter with their products is mainly greed. The least they could do is offer to ship you one for free if one is needed.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 02:49 AM   #46
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

of course it's greed. 'For free' and Apple?

As soon as apple did this bs everyone knew that others would follow, so it's no big surprise that Samsung now does it too. The specs of the s21 series also raise more questions than answers.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Old Jan 5, 2021, 05:51 AM   #47
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Phone is great in every way so far, except Android Auto. Carplay for the most part hasn't had and issues, except with Spotify. Playlists always worked, but selecting album or artist always came up with a error.

Android Auto on the otherhand while I do like the design, Spotify just plain keeps stopping or crashing, and Android Auto it self likes to disconnect often, which is a ****ing pita when using Navigation.

Only way to get it back is to restart the Car computer and Phone.

Tried different cables, hell jsut ordered another really short one and will see if that does anything (doubtful).

sometimes technology is a nightmare, I just wish **** worked.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 06:58 AM   #48
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
of course it's greed. 'For free' and Apple?

As soon as apple did this bs everyone knew that others would follow, so it's no big surprise that Samsung now does it too. The specs of the s21 series also raise more questions than answers.
What specifically? The main downer I've seen is that it won't have expandable storage.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 07:05 AM   #49
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
What specifically? The main downer I've seen is that it won't have expandable storage.
Lower Res
no expendable storage
no charging cable / adapter
plastic backside
less RAM

and a few others

Old Jan 5, 2021, 07:08 AM   #50
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Lower Res
no expendable storage
no charging cable / adapter
plastic backside
less RAM

and a few others
I see what you mean...I've been planning (possibly) on a discounted S20 after the 21 releases and it looks like that may be the way to go.

I'm really having a bad time here deciding what / if I want to upgrade to
Old Jan 5, 2021, 07:17 AM   #51
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
I see what you mean...I've been planning (possibly) on a discounted S20 after the 21 releases and it looks like that may be the way to go.

I'm really having a bad time here deciding what / if I want to upgrade to
A lot of people are in the same boat as you, my friend. Personally i never really liked Samsung (mobiles that is), but that's more of a personal preference than anything else. A lot of techsites think that Samsung tries to push the customers towards their foldable section which would kinda explain the strange hardware they've come up with the S21's. It _might_ be the case, who knows?

As for your upgrade, a maybe cheaper S20+ or even an Ultra might be what you're looking for if you decide to go the Samsung route. I never cared for the pen, so that wasn't a criteria for me either.

On the other hand there are a lot of really good smartphones in the 600-800 bucks range to choose from. (i should know because i searched the net for literally a month)

Old Jan 5, 2021, 07:26 AM   #52
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
A lot of people are in the same boat as you, my friend. Personally i never really liked Samsung (mobiles that is), but that's more of a personal preference than anything else. A lot of techsites think that Samsung tries to push the customers towards their foldable section which would kinda explain the strange hardware they've come up with the S21's. It _might_ be the case, who knows?

As for your upgrade, a maybe cheaper S20+ or even an Ultra might be what you're looking for if you decide to go the Samsung route. I never cared for the pen, so that wasn't a criteria for me either.

On the other hand there are a lot of really good smartphones in the 600-800 bucks range to choose from. (i should know because i searched the net for literally a month)
I've been doing the same thing and it's frustrating.

I actually like how Samsung puts together Android with their hardware, but I also spent some time with my friends iphone...12 pro max and as much as I dislike Apple, it's a sweet phone.

My note 8 still works flawlessly, but the camera leaves a bit to be desired and I want to get away from toting a DSLR and it's support bag around....and I have a stack of Best buy gift cards that will take a few hundred off the purchase for me....but I only buy unlocked and BB doesn't sell unlocked iphones here any more, and there are no activation perks for T-mobile customers at BB...

Ugh, makes my brain hurt...I'd be happy with either device, but I want the best deal possible.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 07:33 AM   #53
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
I've been doing the same thing and it's frustrating.

I actually like how Samsung puts together Android with their hardware, but I also spent some time with my friends iphone...12 pro max and as much as I dislike Apple, it's a sweet phone.

My note 8 still works flawlessly, but the camera leaves a bit to be desired and I want to get away from toting a DSLR and it's support bag around....and I have a stack of Best buy gift cards that will take a few hundred off the purchase for me....but I only buy unlocked and BB doesn't sell unlocked iphones here any more, and there are no activation perks for T-mobile customers at BB...

Ugh, makes my brain hurt...I'd be happy with either device, but I want the best deal possible.
yep, in the end it's always more of a personal preference/dislike than the actual speccs of a phone, of course the speccs are important too, but people tend to buy stuff they "like" and not always the stuff that would be the best choice