Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jan 28, 2021, 06:36 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home No Sony master race here?

Xperia 1 ii

slash thread.
LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2021, 09:39 PM   #2
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Good ol Sony on full display on their latest Pro series Xperia.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2021, 03:10 AM   #3
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

sony used to be superior, nowadays not so much anymore. They're not bad per se, but i really don't know anyone who still uses one.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 29, 2021, 10:14 AM   #4
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Waiting for the eventual Xperia One II 3
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:33 AM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I loved the Xperia phones I had, but they never built a good market share. I ultimately moved on to Samsung, then Apple, then Essential, now OnePlus. Really happy with OnePlus.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:18 PM   #6
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Doesn't Xperia not even sell in the US anymore due to how poor their sales are?
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:51 PM   #7
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Doesn't Xperia not even sell in the US anymore due to how poor their sales are?
They have massively paired back. I know they did pull out of lots of places, Canada included, but they still maintain a presence in the US.

It's probably Sony's own doing. The marketing probably wasn't really on point and their phones just kinda fell into the wash of every other smartphone. Sad really, as the current crop seems perfectly awesome.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Jan 29, 2021, 01:04 PM   #8
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

They are perfectly awesome. Superior camera and features, hi-res audio, AI codec that upscales audio files...

Brownlee sound sold tens of thousands of Sony phones with that video.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Jan 29, 2021, 01:51 PM   #9
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Yup and the problem is, most people... don't care. They want the phone everyone else has. Which is something Apple absolutely excels at, and something Sony has really stumbled over for their smartphone division.

But thats typical Sony. For as many things they knocked outta the park(Trinitron TV's, Playstation, Walkman etc) they have also failed (Betamax, MiniDisc, etc). Kinda how Sony has operated for what seems like forever. And all that kinda gives me a soft spot for them, as they will try to do crazy stuff that others won't(Xperia Pro, Aibo etc etc)

System:
Old Jan 29, 2021, 03:51 PM   #10
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

was about to post vid from Brownlee, he absolutely nailed it. Also it's really sad to see them almost vanish from the smartphone market.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Old Feb 2, 2021, 06:38 PM   #11
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I use a Sony phone and I like them quite a lot. But they don't even sell them here officially anymore.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2021, 10:56 PM   #12
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
sony used to be superior, nowadays not so much anymore. They're not bad per se, but i really don't know anyone who still uses one.
^This.

It's not that Sony don't make premium stuff, it's just that the competition have caught up, and beaten them outright in terms of innovation.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2021, 07:11 AM   #13
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

just to make it clear, i really used to love their stuff, also their phones, man, i had 2 of them (K800i and CMD CD5), actually i still have them and they're still working like a charm.

The problem with sony is, that they do make great phones but their marketing is a nightmare.

Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:09 PM   #14
Notbilly
not here

Notbilly is still being judged by the masses

A question about Sony: do they do a good job keeping the OS updated on their older phones?
Notbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2021, 07:12 AM   #15
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notbilly View Post
A question about Sony: do they do a good job keeping the OS updated on their older phones?
Never had a problem with updates. They are not frequent, but they support them well enough.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Feb 6, 2021, 07:15 AM   #16
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
The problem with sony is, that they do make great phones but their marketing is a nightmare.
Wen juckt's?
I'm not sure what they are doing worse than Samsung on, and I'm not sure to this day how they exploded and not Sony.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Feb 6, 2021, 10:09 AM   #17
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGeil View Post
Wen juckt's?
Crazy Kraut Jibberish:

Die Kaufinteressenten? Null Werbung und eine Verfügbarkeit unter aller Sau helfen nicht gerade dabei Umsätze zu machen, dass sie obendrein noch Geräte eher für hardcore-Foto-Enthusiasten machen ebenso wenig. Gute, hochqualitative Hardware verkauft sich eben nicht von alleine, gerade Sony sollte das besser wissen als viele andere.

Proper 'murica illegible:

The prospective buyers? Zero advertising and availability near to zero do not exactly help to make sales, on top of that they make devices for hardcore photo enthusiasts which also dosen't help. Good, high-quality hardware doesn't sell by itself, Sony in particular should know that better than many others.

Last edited by Silent-Runner : Feb 7, 2021 at 10:59 AM. Reason: as you wish
Old Feb 6, 2021, 02:05 PM   #18
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
Die Kaufinteressenten? Null Werbung und eine Verfügbarkeit unter aller Sau helfen nicht gerade dabei Umsätze zu machen, dass sie obendrein noch Geräte eher für hardcore-Foto-Enthusiasten machen ebenso wenig. Gute, hochqualitative Hardware verkauft sich eben nicht von alleine, gerade Sony sollte das besser wissen als viele andere.
Doch hatte ich so einfach durch Saturn vorbeigeschaut und einem gekauft. Die sind für mich besser, da sie keine Bloatware dabei haben. Nicht nur, dass die technischen Daten spitz-klasse sind, aber die haben normalerweise besondere Eigenschaften, deren andere Handys auf keinen Fall haben.

Aber mit Werbung bin ich einverstanden. Traurigerweise ein großer Schwachpunkt von Sony.

I was able to simply walk in to Saturn (our bestbuy) and buy one. I like them because they have no bloat. The technical specs are not only good, but the normally have features that others dont have.

But I agree with the advertising. Sadly a weakspot for sony.
LG 43UD79-B

Last edited by SuperGeil : Feb 7, 2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 12:18 AM   #19
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

English only guys. Mind editing and putting into english?

System:
Old Feb 7, 2021, 11:56 AM   #20
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
English only guys. Mind editing and putting into english?
Have to say the last two words of the title of the post made me pause for a moment, just saying but maybe I'm being too politically correct.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2021, 12:36 PM   #21
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
Have to say the last two words of the title of the post made me pause for a moment, just saying but maybe I'm being too politically correct.

Old Feb 7, 2021, 01:38 PM   #22
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Herrenvolk, look it up on wikipedia. Maybe you're too young to understand it I'm just pointing out the fact not having a go. Feel free to delete my post Trunks0. I'm only trying to be polite about the misinterpretation of those two words.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Feb 7, 2021, 01:56 PM   #23
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
Herrenvolk, look it up on wikipedia. Maybe you're too young to understand it I'm just pointing out the fact not having a go. Feel free to delete my post Trunks0. I'm only trying to be polite about the misinterpretation of those two words.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Feb 7, 2021, 01:57 PM   #24
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
i don't have to look anything up (and i'm more than old enough to know the meaning of the term "Herrenrasse", the "master race" was surely meant as in Pc-Master-Race. I guess you're interpreting a _bit_ too much into this. Just sayin'

Old Feb 7, 2021, 02:09 PM   #25
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
i don't have to look anything up (and i'm more than old enough to know the meaning of the term "Herrenrasse", the "master race" was surely meant as in Pc-Master-Race. I guess you're interpreting a _bit_ too much into this. Just sayin'
I would not waste any more effort on him tbh.
Will save you a lot of trouble.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Feb 7, 2021, 04:12 PM   #26
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGeil View Post
I would not waste any more effort on him tbh.
Will save you a lot of trouble.
I was just trying to say if you use certain phrases beware of the context and semantics you use them in. If in doubt don't use it. Simple. Both your English is good so you should understand what I mean.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 05:20 PM   #27
Notbilly
not here

Notbilly is still being judged by the masses

Getting back to the phones ( ), I had one of the early Xperias years back and generally liked it a lot, except that I always found that the screen was not nearly bright enough for use outdoors on a sunny day. It was truly frustrating. When I eventually switched to a Note 8 (ridiculously bright!), that aspect felt like the biggest upgrade.

Looking at the brightness measurements I've seen online for the new 1ii and 5ii, it seems like the Xperias are still much dimmer than most other brands. I just can't see spending that much money on a phone and having the screen be too washed out when outdoors.

But if it weren't for that, my Sony nostalgia would really tempt me to consider the 5ii.
Notbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2021, 05:20 PM   #28
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notbilly View Post
Not really, they only do about 2 years of updates and even then the origin of the phone will determine if you get it. But they have gotten a bit better in recent times.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2021, 08:43 PM   #29
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I love Playstation and their Bravia TVs, but honestly, I wouldn't get an Xperia if you want constant updates. Sure the mobile division isn't bleeding money anymore, but all signs seem to point how they're going the same route as VAIO.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2021, 07:17 PM   #30
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Yea they are really only staying in it so they can keep on top of the tech and keep making stuff for that industry(like the camera sensors etc). Otherwise they massively pulled back. Which is fine, rather they did that then a swarm of crappy phones.

System: