Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 29, 2021, 04:53 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default What brightness/contrast do you have your monitor at?

There have been a few conversations here over monitors and picture quality.

So in a non-serious way, I figured I'd ask what your monitor brightness is set to in its menu options.

I've not officially measured them, but these seem closest to calibrated to my eyes.

SDR:
  • 18/100 brightness
  • 68/100 contrast
  • standard picture mode
HDR:
  • 100/100 brightness
  • the monitor locks contrast to 70/100
  • cinema picture mode
Additionally, I've got this set in the Nvidia Control Panel
  • 'Change resolution' => 'NVIDIA colour settings' set to 10 bit bpc, and output dynamic range is full
  • 'Adjust desktop colour settings' colour settings are set to 'Override to reference mode'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2021, 07:19 PM   #2
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

SDR
  • Brightness - as it back light - 33 to 100% depending on how bright the room is. My room gets awefully bright on a sunny day with the windows open.
  • Contrast - Factory calibrated to 75%. I haven't tried moving it yet.

HDR
It's my general understand both should be maxed out for this to work properly.
I've not put much effort into making HDR look better though. It looks great outta the box with contrast at 75% in HDR mode. I should try adjusting it.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2021, 08:11 PM   #3
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

I'd recommend not changing the contrast from the factory setting. I've found that the contrast is usually set to the optimal setting for the panel and if you mess with it you get crushing toward the black or white end of the spectrum. It becomes really obvious when you attempt to calibrate the display that a lot of stuff is thrown off.

For that reason on my monitor, LG32GK600, I have the contrast on the default setting of 70. I have my brightness set to 30 most of the time, but sometimes if I'm working on a lot of black text on a white background (i.e., word processing) I'll turn the brightness down to 0 just so it's easier on my eyes. Or the reverse if I'm playing a really dark game or movie. But usually 30 is a pretty good medium.

I don't generally have super brightly lit rooms, so I don't need a lot of brightness. I think the display ships with the brightness on max, with it blazing nearly as bright as the sun, so I toned it down a lot.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 29, 2021, 09:36 PM   #4
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

SDR
- don’t give a crap

HDR
- don’t give a poop
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2021, 08:24 AM   #5
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

While monitor settings will be specific to the monitor, do you not find 30% brightness to also be searingly bright?

I would argue that maybe it's too bright if you find yourself needing to adjust the brightness when looking at dark vs. bright content.
Quote:
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Old Mar 30, 2021, 08:41 AM   #6
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Usually play at night with a dim yellow light behind the monitor.

SDR on my new monitor 50% both brightness and contrast, was MUCH lower on my older panel (something like 15 brightness, 30 contrast)

HDR unchanged, supernova enough as it is
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2021, 10:36 AM   #7
Loser-P
Radeon HD 4850

Loser-P can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLoser-P can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Since I have a colorimeter I try to get the brightness as close to 100 nit as I can. I don't remember what brightness setting that is for my 2 monitors and really that is very model specific.

I never touch the contrast control on an LCD since anything other than the default setting is going to clip the signal so it's best to leave it alone.

HDR the content should be controlling the brightness, your monitor should be locking you out of those controls when in HDR mode.

The only thing I do for HDR is turn down Windows SDR brightness control so SDR white is around 100 nits. After doing that I actually can't tell when HDR mode is on unless I'm viewing HDR content.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 06:34 PM   #8
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
While monitor settings will be specific to the monitor, do you not find 30% brightness to also be searingly bright?

I would argue that maybe it's too bright if you find yourself needing to adjust the brightness when looking at dark vs. bright content.
It's not really that bright at 30, maybe even arguably a bit on the dim side, which is why in some dark games I need to turn it up. If I used my computer exclusively for gaming/movies 40 or 50 would probably be closer to ideal.

It's just a different experience with full screen graphics of different gradients of colors (few of which are full white), versus a screen that is 75-90% blasting out full white light. The thing is when I'm working on text I don't need the background to even be remotely white. As long as I can read the text, if it's like dingy gray it doesn't matter. In the past when staring at text for hours I've felt that putting the brightness on the minimum helps with eye fatigue. Maybe my eyes are just more sensitive to this sort of thing. With my current monitor I don't usually turn it down from 30, so it's not that bad at that setting.

The other thing to consider is that your eyes adapt to different brightness levels, so you can quickly acclimate to different settings up to a point. So, when turning down from 100 brightness to say 50, or from 50 to 30, for a second or two it looks really dim, but then your eyes adjust and it looks pretty much the same.

Last edited by Nagorak : Mar 31, 2021 at 06:43 PM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2021, 06:49 PM   #9
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser-P View Post
Since I have a colorimeter I try to get the brightness as close to 100 nit as I can. I don't remember what brightness setting that is for my 2 monitors and really that is very model specific.

I never touch the contrast control on an LCD since anything other than the default setting is going to clip the signal so it's best to leave it alone.

HDR the content should be controlling the brightness, your monitor should be locking you out of those controls when in HDR mode.

The only thing I do for HDR is turn down Windows SDR brightness control so SDR white is around 100 nits. After doing that I actually can't tell when HDR mode is on unless I'm viewing HDR content.

Agreed on the points about HDR.

However, for SDR I found yours + Trunk0's comments about not touching the contrast a bit surprising, so I tested it with the Windows calibration tool:'Cinema' in SDR seems to be calibrated bright (100%) on my monitor. It also locks contrast to 70%. If I turn the brightness down to 18%, it definitely makes the shirt look washed out. Knocking the contrast down stops it from clipping as you mentioned.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:45 AM   #10
Loser-P
Radeon HD 4850

Loser-P can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLoser-P can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
Agreed on the points about HDR.

However, for SDR I found yours + Trunk0's comments about not touching the contrast a bit surprising, so I tested it with the Windows calibration tool:'Cinema' in SDR seems to be calibrated bright (100%) on my monitor. It also locks contrast to 70%. If I turn the brightness down to 18%, it definitely makes the shirt look washed out. Knocking the contrast down stops it from clipping as you mentioned.
Regarding not messing with the contrast control on LCD's I'm just echoing the advice that I've heard from experts at monitor calibration.

My understanding of how the contrast control works on LCD's is that it sort of mimics how CRT contrast worked by adjusting peak white level. On an LCD if you raise the contrast over the default you're usually going to clip white losing any detail in highlights, and when you lower it you're just limiting it and by extension the actual contrast ratio of the monitor.
Neither are good so it's better to adjust the gamma curve instead to fix any issues.