Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 14, 2002, 11:19 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Thumbs up Electrical Interference/Performance Gains

Over the years I've accumulated a lot of hardware with power cords and other cables everywhere. I had most of my cords in one area with my old desk, mainly because there wasn't much room. I decided to get a new desk that has more room in the back for cables, and more space in general to spread my hardware around.

I've noticed a decent gain in performance since I did this. My cables and cords are much more spaced out and strung, and I think everything is flowing better now. Even my cable internet is faster.

Consider this when setting up your system. If you have a lot of cords and have them all in one area, try spreading the cords out and see if you don't notice a performance gain also. Keeping your power cables away from the device -> computer cords helps, and spacing your components away from each other helps also.
Old Jun 16, 2002, 05:31 AM   #2
Cartman
You killed Kenny! You bastard!

Cartman is still being judged by the masses

hmmm....might just try that..

Abit Max3 ,[email protected] ,2*512mb Adata PC4000,Gainward 6800GT, Win XP pro

Bleeh
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2002, 10:53 AM   #3
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Re: Electrical Interference/Performance Gains

Quote:
Originally posted by curiophile
Consider this when setting up your system. If you have a lot of cords and have them all in one area, try spreading the cords out and see if you don't notice a performance gain also. Keeping your power cables away from the device -> computer cords helps, and spacing your components away from each other helps also.
I've noticed that especially with dial-up modems (56k modems are really sensitive). I suppose one could try wrapping all your cords separately in aluminum foil and grounding that for more shielding, but most people who go to those lengths need it for their hats

Chris.
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 16, 2002, 04:56 PM   #4
quanta!
Temporal AA Aficionado

quanta! is still being judged by the masses

Default Cable interference?

If built to spec, power cords should be properly shielded and have no interference. I've heard of cheap power supplies, cables and speakers creating interference in dialup or DSL connections, but that's it.
Old Jun 16, 2002, 10:34 PM   #5
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

A fan close to a modem is almost sure to cause problems as well. I had to play swap-tronics with mine until I could get it far enough away to work properly.

Chris.
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote