Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old May 4, 2017, 07:28 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Arghuin
Nexus 6

Arghuin is still being judged by the masses

Default Trolling done Intel-style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ4LlBPX3TU

...so, basically dont overclock the 7700k. wat.
Arghuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017, 08:01 PM   #2
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Mine does spike hard, and it's at stock. It comes down pretty quickly though.

To be fair my 4770K did the same thing, but it was overclocked.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017, 08:23 PM   #3
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

so all these things are hitting 90c to 99c
put the bloody tea pot on it

and so all these 7700k 5ghz warriors have voided warranties
how can they tell you oc ?

Quote:
We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called 'de-lidding'). These actions will void the processor warranty."
http://www.pcgamer.com/intels-tells-...id-high-temps/

this is almost as good for PR as new coke in 85

Last edited by bill dennison : May 4, 2017 at 08:34 PM.
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 4, 2017, 09:02 PM   #4
lazyx
Radeon Southern Islands

lazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
so all these things are hitting 90c to 99c
put the bloody tea pot on it

and so all these 7700k 5ghz warriors have voided warranties
how can they tell you oc ?

http://www.pcgamer.com/intels-tells-...id-high-temps/

this is almost as good for PR as new coke in 85
I have mine at 5.1 ghz and it's not dellid. I get decent temps(mid to upper 70) as i posted in the 7700k overclock thread. You just got to know what to do with bios settings to get good temps.

"AMD processors are intended to be operated only within their associated specifications
and factory settings. Operating your AMD processor outside of official AMD specifications or outside
of factory settings, including but not limited to the conducting of overclocking (including use of any
overclocking guide or software, even if such documentation or software has been directly or indirectly
provided by AMD or otherwise affiliated in any way with AMD), may damage your processor and/or
lead to other problems, including but not limited to, damage to your system components (including
your motherboard and components thereon (e.g. memory)); system instabilities (e.g. data loss and
corrupted images); reduction in system performance; shortened processor, system component and/or
system life; and in extreme cases, total unrecoverable system failure. AMD does not provide support
or service for issues or damages related to use of an AMD processor outside of official AMD
specifications or outside of factory settings.

DAMAGES CAUSED BY USE OF YOUR AMD PROCESSOR OUTSIDE OF
OFFICIAL AMD SPECIFICATIONS OR OUTSIDE OF FACTORY SETTINGS ARE NOT COVERED
UNDER ANY AMD PRODUCT WARRANTY AND MAY NOT BE COVERED BY YOUR BOARD OR
SYSTEM MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY. SEE THE AMD OVERDRIVE UTILITY END USER
LICENSE AGREEMENT OR THE APPLICABLE AMD OVERCLOCKING UTILITY FOR DETAILS "

Last edited by lazyx : May 4, 2017 at 09:16 PM.
lazyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017, 09:07 PM   #5
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyx View Post
I have mine at 5.1 ghz and it's not dellid. I get decent temps(mid to upper 70) as i posted in the 7700k overclock thread. You just got to know what to do with bios settings to get good temps.
video said someone got 30c from deliding what is intel using for tim oatmeal
my 3770k was not near that bad

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...pike_problems/

I can't get my x1800 to hit 63c
and no spiking
Old May 4, 2017, 09:20 PM   #6
lazyx
Radeon Southern Islands

lazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
video said someone got 30c from deliding what is intel using for tim oatmeal
my 3770k was not near that bad

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...pike_problems/

I can't get my x1800 to hit 63c
and no spiking
Decent for non OC'd, but not sure if you want to OC. Since it would void your x1800 warranty..
lazyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017, 09:53 PM   #7
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

100c unoced? HFS...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.6.1. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017, 10:12 PM   #8
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

So this just randomly pops out of nowhere a year after the chip is out? And no one finds that suspicious? Seems like it may be correlated with the Creators update, something triggering extremely high usage and spiking temps. AVX instructions seem to spike Intel temps pretty hardcore, wonder if the mixup involves AVX somehow.

Strange as can be though, doesn't really make any sense.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017, 10:53 PM   #9
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
So this just randomly pops out of nowhere a year after the chip is out? And no one finds that suspicious? Seems like it may be correlated with the Creators update, something triggering extremely high usage and spiking temps. AVX instructions seem to spike Intel temps pretty hardcore, wonder if the mixup involves AVX somehow.

Strange as can be though, doesn't really make any sense.
The article said new owners are complaining about. A Quick google seems to indicate it's affecting new chips. Maybe there's some defect with Jan chip batch.

Edit: The problem could be Window's WinSat.
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/co...7700k/dh440kz/

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w

Last edited by 0091/2 : May 4, 2017 at 11:00 PM.
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017, 11:00 PM   #10
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Ahhh I see. Someone ****ed up at the factory pretty ridiculous if the TIM got even worse considering how bad it's been since the 3xxx series
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old May 4, 2017, 11:44 PM   #11
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
The article said new owners are complaining about. A Quick google seems to indicate it's affecting new chips. Maybe there's some defect with Jan chip batch.

Edit: The problem could be Window's WinSat.
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/co...7700k/dh440kz/
just on 7700k systems ?

it's not on any on my 3 win 10 systems
Old May 5, 2017, 12:32 AM   #12
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Sorry, not happening across the board at all. Highest temps EVER that I see is 75C, and that's with the H80i set to quiet mode and Prime95 in small FFTs for maximum CPU heat. But am running all stock on a TUF series board. If I crank up the H80i to performance mode the highest temperature ever is 72C.

I don't understand what spikes they are talking about. Over on the H forum, about half the 7700K users have seen it, half have not. There's more to this story and I don't think it's a batch thing, though it IS possible. Admittedly, 72-75C is very very hot running. I knew that going into this though. No delidding results in this average. I nailed that average with my silicon lottery pick. I certainly don't think this is anywhere NEAR a golden chip though, I think mine is the average and there are no temp spikes.

Edit: Another admission, I claim it's not a golden chip, but truth is, other then the stock Prime95 testing I've done, I have no clue what kind of overclocker it may be. It may be a golden clocker, I will likely never know...
Old May 5, 2017, 01:02 AM   #13
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Buy our unlocked processor oh sorry don't overclock.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017, 04:09 AM   #14
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

I'm not really surprised about the response. While the K processors are unlocked, they company can't officially sanction overclocking. It will technically still void the warranty (although how would they realistically know?). Delidding voiding the warranty is pretty obvious, and I doubt anyone who's done that didn't realize they were SOL if they broke the processor.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017, 08:20 AM   #15
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
just on 7700k systems ?

it's not on any on my 3 win 10 systems
I just disabled it on my works laptop on Win 10 and that's an i3. You need to run taskschd.msc, browse to local then library then Microsoft maintenance. It then shows up and you right click to disable.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017, 08:22 AM   #16
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Sorry, not happening across the board at all. Highest temps EVER that I see is 75C, and that's with the H80i set to quiet mode and Prime95 in small FFTs for maximum CPU heat. But am running all stock on a TUF series board. If I crank up the H80i to performance mode the highest temperature ever is 72C.

I don't understand what spikes they are talking about. Over on the H forum, about half the 7700K users have seen it, half have not. There's more to this story and I don't think it's a batch thing, though it IS possible. Admittedly, 72-75C is very very hot running. I knew that going into this though. No delidding results in this average. I nailed that average with my silicon lottery pick. I certainly don't think this is anywhere NEAR a golden chip though, I think mine is the average and there are no temp spikes.

Edit: Another admission, I claim it's not a golden chip, but truth is, other then the stock Prime95 testing I've done, I have no clue what kind of overclocker it may be. It may be a golden clocker, I will likely never know...
Delid plz for the love of god lol. My 6700k @ 4.8ghz doesnt even hit 65c on 100% on an aio and I never even delided it.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017, 09:27 AM   #17
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Delid plz for the love of god lol. My 6700k @ 4.8ghz doesnt even hit 65c on 100% on an aio and I never even delided it.
You delid! Don't tell me to delid! That's so rude! (I'm so kidding here, humor doesn't translate well to text).

But seriously, no. Why should I? You DO realize I'm so far inside Intel's thermal spec for this chip that tjunction is still averaging 25C higher then I am at under full load, I won't run any warmer then this. Nor do I care. I'm not overclocking! My chip will last YEARS at 75C with no sweat. Why? Because it's STOCK CLOCKED. They are designed to run like this. OMG, people get SO spoiled by overclocking temperatures that they freak out when stock functions pop up in their faces.

I think you'd lose your mind dealing with stock cooling. And guess what? It works fine. CPUs last for many years with those just fine. If you're not pushing the clocks outside of stock, then running way below tjunction is completely warranted and not a problem. Quit freaking out, LOL!

Edit: Also, my temperatures are well within averages for this processor on this cooler. I am completely within Intel warranty status and have no fears or worries about how this chip can handle running like this.
Old May 5, 2017, 09:52 AM   #18
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Why bother with the z chipset and a k sku then? Rather pointless if that was your goal.

Old May 5, 2017, 10:27 AM   #19
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post

What RPM does your H80i pump run at in quiet mode?
Old May 5, 2017, 10:33 AM   #20
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Risk screwing up a delidding because of 75C max when doing AVX torture tests? lol

I don't think so. That's a perfectly fine temp for Prime small FFT's; well below what the chip can take before it throttles. Besides if 75C is that big of a deal for some odd reason, then just do an AVX offset.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:51 AM   #21
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Risk screwing up a delidding because of 75C max when doing AVX torture tests? lol

I don't think so. That's a perfectly fine temp for Prime small FFT's; well below what the chip can take before it throttles. Besides if 75C is that big of a deal for some odd reason, then just do an AVX offset.
Have you ever delided a chip? Before with a vice and now a days with like a 20 dollar tool? I delided a few skylake/kabylake processors with delidding tools it took 4mins and it could not possibly be easier. It's like opening a soda bottle.

All this talk about my use purposes blah blah. Money wasted on a Z chipet and a K sku. Most expensives things are the things you will never use. That chipset and k premium could of gone to a bigger nvme, which I am sure something that OP would actually use.

Old May 5, 2017, 11:08 AM   #22
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Have you ever delided a chip?
Yes. Outside of LN I've done pretty much everything one can do with overclocking. And it's still a risk, even with the ebay kits

You're telling a guy who runs his 7700K at stock to delid merely because his temp hits 72C-75C max during AVX max heat torture tests. That's bad advice, sorry

I'll bet his chip hits 65C-70C max when doing anything non-AVX at 100%. And how often is his system running at 100% constantly in the first place? Probably never, except when he's doing torture tests or benchmarking. When gaming I'll bet he hits around 60C-65C max with an average temp much lower than that - big whoop. The chip won't even throttle until 90C... there's absolutely no reason to tell him to risk delidding

moshpit - do what you want obviously, but I don't think there's any good reason for you to risk delidding when you're merely running stock and your max AVX temps are 75C
Old May 5, 2017, 12:55 PM   #23
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Yes. Outside of LN I've done pretty much everything one can do with overclocking. And it's still a risk, even with the ebay kits

You're telling a guy who runs his 7700K at stock to delid merely because his temp hits 72C-75C max during AVX max heat torture tests. That's bad advice, sorry

I'll bet his chip hits 65C-70C max when doing anything non-AVX at 100%. And how often is his system running at 100% constantly in the first place? Probably never, except when he's doing torture tests or benchmarking. When gaming I'll bet he hits around 60C-65C max with an average temp much lower than that - big whoop. The chip won't even throttle until 90C... there's absolutely no reason to tell him to risk delidding

moshpit - do what you want obviously, but I don't think there's any good reason for you to risk delidding when you're merely running stock and your max AVX temps are 75C
75c runing stock clock on kaby is a joke. I am well are of the threadshold temp. However, if anything heat is killer of all components. Why run something 20+c hotter for years when you don't need to.

Old May 5, 2017, 12:57 PM   #24
curio
𐐒ananaD

75C for AVX is just fine. And if that's too high for his tastes, set the AVX offset to -1; which is a hell of a lot safer doing that than delidding.

Regardless he's probably 10C less than that for everything non-AVX at 100%. And he probably hits 100% like, never; except when he's torture testing.

So why take the risk of ruining a chip when he doesn't need to?
Old May 5, 2017, 12:59 PM   #25
Jay20016

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
75C for AVX is just fine.

Why take the risk of ruining a chip when he doesn't need to?
For... science?

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017, 01:03 PM   #26
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay20016 View Post
For... science?
Easy to say when it's someone else's chip and money
Old May 5, 2017, 01:46 PM   #27
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I just de-lidded my 3770K while doing a full transplant of my rig from a HAF-X to a Corsair 750D, prepping it for my sister who is getting the entire box when i leave for basic in ~two weeks. Got the 750D from one of my pops customers.

The de-lid tool is literally retard proof. You'd have to be ****ing braindead to mess up and damage your chip. Simple as pop it into the holder, close it, and use the allenkey to twist until you hear the "pop". Open it up, and the IHS comes right off. I sanded down the inside of the IHS, the outside of the IHS that contacts the heatsink, and the copper block on my H100. Temps are solid, 65c after a half-hour of BF1 @ 4.6/1.3v. I'm sure the temps will drop down slightly once the Kryonaut Grizzly settles in a bit under the IHS.

Really like this 750D. Beautiful case, awesome to work in. My cable management is so much better in this thing compared to the HAF-X, and the full window instead of the ugly ass fan on the side makes everything look that much better

Temps actually improved. I think it's a case of "less is more". I have only two front fans that came with the 750D airflow edition, the h100 on the top, and my titanx hybrid cooler in the rear. Nothing else. In the HAF-X I had an extra 120 blowing cool air at the GPU, the side 240mm fan, two top 240mm .. so was worried my GPU temps would go up, as I was hitting 60c playing BF1 yesterday .. nope. Actually, my temps today are only hitting 54c, though it is slightly cooler in the house. I changed the fans from the crap AF120's i had on there (not meant for rad cooling) in a push-pull to a single ML120. Cooler, quieter, better.

Haven't done a full re-build like that in years, was actually enjoyable. Had some nice father/son time and knocked it out in ~3 hours.

I'll put up some pics in a bit.

Last edited by Nunz : May 5, 2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old May 5, 2017, 02:27 PM   #28
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I just de-lidded my 3770K while doing a full transplant of my rig from a HAF-X to a Corsair 750D, prepping it for my sister who is getting the entire box when i leave for basic in ~two weeks. Got the 750D from one of my pops customers.

The de-lid tool is literally retard proof. You'd have to be ****ing braindead to mess up and damage your chip. Simple as pop it into the holder, close it, and use the allenkey to twist until you hear the "pop". Open it up, and the IHS comes right off. I sanded down the inside of the IHS, the outside of the IHS that contacts the heatsink, and the copper block on my H100. Temps are solid, 65c after a half-hour of BF1 @ 4.6/1.3v. I'm sure the temps will drop down slightly once the Kryonaut Grizzly settles in a bit under the IHS.

Really like this 750D. Beautiful case, awesome to work in. My cable management is so much better in this thing compared to the HAF-X, and the full window instead of the ugly ass fan on the side makes everything look that much better

Temps actually improved. I think it's a case of "less is more". I have only two front fans that came with the 750D airflow edition, the h100 on the top, and my titanx hybrid cooler in the rear. Nothing else. In the HAF-X I had an extra 120 blowing cool air at the GPU, the side 240mm fan, two top 240mm .. so was worried my GPU temps would go up, as I was hitting 60c playing BF1 yesterday .. nope. Actually, my temps today are only hitting 54c, though it is slightly cooler in the house. I changed the fans from the crap AF120's i had on there (not meant for rad cooling) in a push-pull to a single ML120. Cooler, quieter, better.

Haven't done a full re-build like that in years, was actually enjoyable. Had some nice father/son time and knocked it out in ~3 hours.

I'll put up some pics in a bit.
It literally is retarded proof. Mosh if i buy one for KAC and hes able to delid will you?

Old May 5, 2017, 02:42 PM   #29
curio
𐐒ananaD

Everytime someone says something is retard-proof, here comes humanity & Murphy's law to show you wrong

Either way, the guy is running stock speeds and hits 75C only when having to do AVX. Do you really think that's his average temp 24/7? Probably not even close. Is he running the processor at 100% 24/7? Doubtful. Is he running AVX instructions 24/7? Double doubtful.

Face reality here for a second - he's probably running an average daily temp that's just above idle temps - and his chip is hitting that 75C probably for a few seconds a year. And that's still 15C below when it starts to throttle, and 25C less than what the silicon can take. You think that's going to ruin the chip over a 20 year period? lmao whatver - hell he probably won't even have the chip that long in the first place.

Yeah great reasons all around to delid - you guys are hilarious. I mean don't get me wrong, there's cases where delidding makes sense - his situation isn't one of them.

Last edited by curio : May 5, 2017 at 02:53 PM.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017, 02:52 PM   #30
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Oh wasn't jumping in on whether he should do it or not. Don't care really.. but the tool is insanely easy to use and I can't see how you could damage the chip. It won't fit the wrong way and won't close if it's not seated properly

Last edited by Nunz : May 5, 2017 at 03:21 PM.