Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 21, 2020, 03:43 PM   #271
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Yeah, we're definitely still lagging on the hardware side to keep up with 4k resolutions. My opinion is that we aren't really there yet either, and newer games will just make it harder to run. Games like AC Valhalla and Cyberpunk already show that.

But...that's just the way it is. I'd hope anyone buying 4k displays has already weighed those factors in and used that data to make their choice. Personally, I'll get a 3080 and toss it when a 4080 comes out. Rinse and repeat.
That's only if you play everything on ultra, but in many games the difference between ultra and say high is almost impossible to see, yet the FPS has a hefty hit.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 04:06 PM   #272
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
**** you guys are making me wanna pull the trigger. I offered my 38" to my dad for $800 (just paid $1600 for it in October, and the price went up to $1799 MSRP now) and I have an ASUS 27" 1440p 165Hz monitor I need to offload. I'm trying so hard to not order one but if I can sell the 27" for $400-500 like I expect, I'll do it. It'll barely cost me anything out of pocket, plus my dad will get a nice upgrade from his older 34" 3440x1440 100Hz ASUS ultrawide.

$800 you say my puerto rican brother..

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2020, 04:27 PM   #273
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
That's only if you play everything on ultra, but in many games the difference between ultra and say high is almost impossible to see, yet the FPS has a hefty hit.
All Ultra or nothing!

Hey, when it runs like a slideshow...you get a chance to admire how beautiful it looks.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 21, 2020, 04:53 PM   #274
Ghastlyone
Radeon Southern Islands

Ghastlyone is still being judged by the masses

Don't ever cheap out on your display. I'm always amazed how many people out there build $3,000+ PC's and then literally only spend like $300-400 on a basic monitor (not saying anyone here does). An expensive display is something you'll use through multiple GPU generations.

Regarding the RTX 3080 paired with this LG CX48. The 3080 pushes 4K 120hz nicely. No issues with all the games I've played so far. And like SirBaron said, you can easily turn a few settings down and gain upwards of 20-30fps with little to no perceivable graphics difference. And the nice thing about 4K is, if absolutely needed down the road you can always just run drop down to peasant resolution 1440p.
I think the difference with the CX48 and what the game changer is with this display is the 120hz GSync. Any fluctuations in frame rate are mitigated with this panel.

Last edited by Ghastlyone : Dec 21, 2020 at 05:01 PM.
Ghastlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2020, 06:17 PM   #275
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Way I see it I'd rather have so called peasant resolution than peasant framerate and graphics settings.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2020, 06:43 PM   #276
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

There's definitely no right or wrong way to experience the games. Just do whatever makes you smile and enjoy it.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 21, 2020, 06:46 PM   #277
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
There's definitely no right or wrong way to experience the games. Just do whatever makes you smile and enjoy it.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 07:08 PM   #278
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

Make sure you have the latest firmware on it. It was upgraded with AMD free sync premium via firmware not too long ago. Gsync monitors are on life support for console use now thanks to both consoles being custom Radeons.
LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2020, 09:21 PM   #279
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
**** you guys are making me wanna pull the trigger. I offered my 38" to my dad for $800 (just paid $1600 for it in October, and the price went up to $1799 MSRP now) and I have an ASUS 27" 1440p 165Hz monitor I need to offload. I'm trying so hard to not order one but if I can sell the 27" for $400-500 like I expect, I'll do it. It'll barely cost me anything out of pocket, plus my dad will get a nice upgrade from his older 34" 3440x1440 100Hz ASUS ultrawide.
I’ll be a better dad and pay 1000 for it.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2020, 02:05 AM   #280
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGeil View Post
Make sure you have the latest firmware on it. It was upgraded with AMD free sync premium via firmware not too long ago. Gsync monitors are on life support for console use now thanks to both consoles being custom Radeons.
That really makes no sense what so ever, just because consoles use free sync has no bearing on pc hardware, plus not sure what consoles have to do with PC gsync monitors anyway.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 03:24 PM   #281
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Finally, have a tracking number. Looks like this is going down. Had some issues with the order and had to call them direct. ETA is next Tuesday.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 22, 2020, 03:51 PM   #282
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Oh that's right, and the OLED is 4k. Forgot about that.

4k gaming is still too tough to maintain good performance with IMO, even with a 3080.
Bah, I have been doing 4K only since 2016 using my 1080 Ti. A few settings turned down. With a 3080 its a breeze in almost all games with everything Ultra. Except the demanding few.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2020, 03:55 PM   #283
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Bah, I have been doing 4K only since 2016 using my 1080 Ti. A few settings turned down. With a 3080 its a breeze in almost all games with everything Ultra. Except the demanding few.
Wow, I had you guys all wrong. Thought turning down settings was for peasants?

Seriously though I agree. That's elitist bullshit. Nothing wrong with turning down a few settings.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 04:00 PM   #284
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Wow, I had you guys all wrong. Thought turning down settings was for peasants?

Seriously though I agree. That's elitist bullshit. Nothing wrong with turning down a few settings.
I like to joke about it, but in the end do whatever is needed to play/enjoy the game. I prefer to wait most times...but I'm getting anxious after putting some games off for 2+ years.

Decided to finally start playing AC Odyssey, but lowered Shadows and Clouds detail to get it 60-75fps at all times with Medium AA setting (I can't stand using no AA). I don't really notice the clouds at all, and it's pretty surprising how much of a difference that setting made. Shadows was a huge difference too. It's kind of annoying to see no shadows at a medium distance...but other than that you get use to it and it's not a big deal. Those two features made a HUGE difference in framerate at 3840x1600. Everything else I don't want to touch, but...the 4k TV will make it even harder to run.

I played all of AC Origins at 4k max everything, but locked framerate to 45fps to keep it smooth. I'd prefer not to do that again.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 22, 2020, 04:07 PM   #285
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Framerate takes priority over graphics for me, so I tend to do whatever it takes to keep it minimum 60 fps with the occasional dip to low 50's. Like mentioned, most of the time games still look great even with some settings turned down.

I mean, if you are OK with framerate that approaches 30 then why would you be spending all that money on a gaming PC. You might as well be playing the console version. Smooth high framerate is one of the main benefits to PC gaming.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 04:22 PM   #286
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
You might as well be playing the console version. Smooth high framerate is one of the main benefits to PC gaming.
There are many benefits, not just high framerates. No need to debate, plenty of reasons for all of us to enjoy PC gaming.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 22, 2020, 04:36 PM   #287
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
There are many benefits, not just high framerates. No need to debate, plenty of reasons for all of us to enjoy PC gaming.
Sorry, wasn't meant as debating. Just giving my two cents on my preferences.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 04:41 PM   #288
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

I might have to move my desk a bit forward to make up for teh huge stand on this TV, pretty odd design choice.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 05:15 PM   #289
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
I might have to move my desk a bit forward to make up for teh huge stand on this TV, pretty odd design choice.
Yeah, I've been trying to think of a way around that as well. I'll only be using it for testing and will wall mount if I decide to keep (I'm sure I will!). But I feel like I'll be on top of it, and my desk isn't exactly small.

I always thought the stand had a small footprint until I saw some reviews where the back of it sticks out a good 6-8". What the heck!

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 22, 2020, 05:49 PM   #290
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Oh that OLED is going to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghastlyone View Post
Don't ever cheap out on your display. I'm always amazed how many people out there build $3,000+ PC's and then literally only spend like $300-400 on a basic monitor (not saying anyone here does). An expensive display is something you'll use through multiple GPU generations.
Yea that always makes me sad. It's one of the primary interfaces for your computer. Display, Keyboard, Mouse/trackball and Sound should always be things you love to use. Because you basically end up using them always. Can debate the finer details of whats better technically of course. But at the end of the day, it comes down to "do you like/love it". Because if you don't... you won't want to use it.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2020, 05:56 PM   #291
Ghastlyone
Radeon Southern Islands

You might want to look into the desk mount the guy in this video used. I like that one, looks like it works nice with this CX48...

Old Dec 22, 2020, 06:11 PM   #292
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I'm thinking about wall mounting it.. if I order one. If Overclockn' loves his, it might just be the final nail in the coffin.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2020, 06:16 PM   #293
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I want an OLED 21:9. That 48 LG OLED looks nice but may be a bit big at my distance.

I cant shake the feeling of wanting to keep 21:9 though. Any 21:9 OLEDs on the horizon?

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2020, 06:18 PM   #294
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I just read an article about LG OLEDs in 2021 having much higher brightness (eliminating ABL issues) and potentially a smaller size than the 48".
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Dec 22, 2020, 06:25 PM   #295
Ghastlyone
Radeon Southern Islands

This 48" OLED is amazing. But...a 40-42" OLED would probably be the absolute sweet spot for overall perfect 4K pixel density. We probably wont be seeing anything smaller than 48" in an OLED for awhile though. And if LG does come out with one, expect to pay a hefty premium.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 06:35 PM   #296
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

Anyone try the Acer X35?

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/conten...es/predatorx35

Looks like a beast!
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2020, 06:43 PM   #297
Nunz
RIP Roxen

You couldn't pay me to touch an Acer after how terrible their customer support was with my X34 Predator.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 10:04 PM   #298
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
I just read an article about LG OLEDs in 2021 having much higher brightness (eliminating ABL issues) and potentially a smaller size than the 48".
I'd definitely have some buyer remorse if that's the case! Anything concrete about it?

That would cure two of my biggest complaints, leaving the only other negative being potential burn in. If that happens, could always move the incoming one to the bedroom (I've been using a 32" 720P in there for like 15 years) and put the smaller, newer display in the office.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 22, 2020, 10:40 PM   #299
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Way I see it I'd rather have so called peasant resolution than peasant framerate and graphics settings.
This man knows what's up! Gimme 1440p max graphics at high FPS over 60 FPS @ 4K any day of the week.

My .02 and reason why I kept my Samsung G7.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2020, 10:50 PM   #300
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Same. Playing games at 4K with 60 FPS is not my thing. All new games are barely meeting that spec even (AC, IFR, CP2077, WDL, COD).
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote