Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 24, 2020, 04:49 PM   #331
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGeil View Post
I meant that buying a gsync only monitor now is pointless. The TV was a great choice and has Premium Freesync. If he ever so choose to use a next gen console on it because it would be amazing looking on it...
The last monitor he had I think was only freesync compatible. Not sure how that even works. But to me it's silly to buy high-end monitors lose half their value the moment you plug a console in it.

(also someone told you are English, and I feel dumb )
It was gsync compatible, which is pretty much the best certification you can get for a freesync monitor.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2020, 05:00 PM   #332
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Any new GSync monitor also supports VESA VRR and FreeSync. There are multiple GSync monitors on the market that have hardware GSync modules and support FreeSync as well, my LG 38GL950G is one of them. This was something NV has been working on since 2019. The newer GSync modules are all FreeSync and VESA VRR capable.
thats good to know, just seems redundant.
LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2020, 05:09 PM   #333
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

GSync hardware module is still superior to VESA VRR/FreeSync, so there is still a purpose to having the hardware module. FreeSync is much closer in quality to GSync than it was two years ago, but still not quite, and that makes sense since GSync is A) more expensive and B) a hardware module
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 24, 2020, 05:11 PM   #334
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I think the module is currently the only way right now that you can get VRR and FALD on non-oled displays, but I might be wrong about that.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 07:12 PM   #335
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
It was gsync compatible, which is pretty much the best certification you can get for a freesync monitor.
What do you mean?
LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2020, 07:19 PM   #336
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

If a display is G-sync compatible certified, it means it has passed more quality checks than simply being VRR/Freesync capable. This generally includes things like a wider VRR range and no flickering or other anomalies.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 10:45 PM   #337
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
I think the module is currently the only way right now that you can get VRR and FALD on non-oled displays, but I might be wrong about that.
Technically the G7 has FALD and VRR/Gsync in QLED without the module. At least to my understanding though I keep local dimming off to avoid any possible flickering issues.

Correction: See post below. It does not have FALD.

Last edited by KAC : Dec 24, 2020 at 11:08 PM.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2020, 10:59 PM   #338
Mangler
PC

The g7 and g9 only has 10 edge lit dimming zones, my LG has 12.

So no FALD.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 11:07 PM   #339
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I see. Well best is to just get an OLED with GSync compatibility.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 05:41 AM   #340
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGeil View Post
I meant that buying a gsync only monitor now is pointless. The TV was a great choice and has Premium Freesync. If he ever so choose to use a next gen console on it because it would be amazing looking on it...
The last monitor he had I think was only freesync compatible. Not sure how that even works. But to me it's silly to buy high-end monitors lose half their value the moment you plug a console in it.

(also someone told you are English, and I feel dumb )
Yeah I wouldn't buy a Gsync only monitor, I'd rather have one that does both.

Ich bin Engländer, aber nur die Hälfte. Ich bin auch halb Deutscher.

Mein Englisch ist aber viel besser als mein Deutsch. :P
Old Dec 25, 2020, 09:04 AM   #341
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Yeah I wouldn't buy a Gsync only monitor, I'd rather have one that does both.

Ich bin Engländer, aber nur die Hälfte. Ich bin auch halb Deutscher.

Mein Englisch ist aber viel besser als mein Deutsch. :P
Thank goodness for Google translate then.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2020, 09:10 AM   #342
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Thank goodness for Google translate then.

jawohl!

Old Dec 25, 2020, 09:14 AM   #343
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
jawohl!

Fröhliche Weihnachten

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2020, 09:27 AM   #344
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post

Fröhliche Weihnachten
Frohe Weihnachten! to you too

I just hope I notice the extra sharpness on this TV, ofcourse the perfect black and HDR helps a lot.

But resolution to size comparison even though my monitor is 2560x1080 the PPI is only 10 less than a 4K at 48" due to the increase in size, just hoping that because it will be about foot and a half further away that it will look "sharper".

Worst case it will look a little sharper but be a much bigger screen, as long as it doesn't get blurier .
Old Dec 25, 2020, 09:46 AM   #345
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

The biggest difference with larger screens and 4k I like is in the details. Everyone raves about pixel density, but if your monitor is too small to actually see the details, I doesn't matter so much, IMO. Sure, it's crisp and sharp, but the small details are hard to make out.

As long as you're back far enough that you can't see screen door from the pixels, its going to be fine.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2020, 10:50 AM   #346
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Just as the larger the screen you further back you need to sit, the smaller the closer.

Nothing has come close to the 27" 4K I had for a short period. It was incredible how much the details popped.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2020, 11:32 AM   #347
Ghastlyone
Radeon Southern Islands

Ghastlyone is still being judged by the masses

I didn't realize Game Pass has Doom Eternal now. Downloaded and installed last night. Playing 4K, 100-120fps on the 48" OLED is just

It's so awesome.
Ghastlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2020, 11:52 AM   #348
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Just as the larger the screen you further back you need to sit, the smaller the closer.

Nothing has come close to the 27" 4K I had for a short period. It was incredible how much the details popped.
I checked out a friends 27" 4k, and it was neat for a couple minutes. Sure it was sharp, but it was too small to make out any of the small details. Like intricate armor in Assassins Creed for example.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2020, 01:15 PM   #349
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Any of you guys using the CX48 with a 1080 or 2080(pre hdmi 2.1)? How is the monitor at 4k60? I obviously dont have a 3080 yet and if I were to purchase it how is it at 4k60(I think it 1080tis support 4k60 4:4:4 on its HDMI spec)

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2020, 01:39 PM   #350
KAC
It might be gays!

I used it with a 2080 and you could run 4:4:4 4K60 and 2K120. The TV upscaling was fantastic at even 2K.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 01:47 PM   #351
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I used it with a 2080 and you could run 4:4:4 4K60 and 2K120. The TV upscaling was fantastic at even 2K.

How does 2k120 look when compared to full 4k at monitor distances?

Which did you run when you had your 2080? 4k60 or 2k120?

Old Dec 25, 2020, 02:53 PM   #352
Ghastlyone
Radeon Southern Islands

Ghastlyone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Any of you guys using the CX48 with a 1080 or 2080(pre hdmi 2.1)? How is the monitor at 4k60? I obviously dont have a 3080 yet and if I were to purchase it how is it at 4k60(I think it 1080tis support 4k60 4:4:4 on its HDMI spec)

When I fired up Doom Eternal last night, for whatever reason (probably being a Bethesda title) the game resolution auto changed to 1080p and the LG changed to 60hz. I didn't understand it. I didn't notice at first, but I played for about 5-10min at 4K 60hz. Something felt off to me (probably Gsync not working). I closed the game down and reapplied 120hz, fired the game back up and was absolutely butter smooth from that point.

4K, 60hz isn't bad by any means. But after coming from 120hz you can totally tell the difference. Until you get a 3080/3090, 60hz is completely doable though.

You could always just run 1440p, 120hz until you do get a new 3000 series? Like KAC said, these LG's have some strange AI hardware built in that does a fantastic job up-scaling for lower resolution/standard defiinition type signals.
Ghastlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2020, 02:56 PM   #353
logical
What is my purpose?

True. But being a pc gamer there’s something sacrilegious about running under native res. lol

Old Dec 25, 2020, 03:38 PM   #354
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
True. But being a pc gamer there’s something sacrilegious about running under native res. lol
I think allot of that was due to the scaling looking like hot garbage on monitors. So you never really wanted to stray from native resolution. Allot of the TV's though have had pretty decent scalers for awhile though.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2020, 03:46 PM   #355
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
How does 2k120 look when compared to full 4k at monitor distances?

Which did you run when you had your 2080? 4k60 or 2k120?
2080 was weak for 4K and I like my FPS. I ran 2K120 but I was 4-5 feet away so for me the IQ was perfectly fine. I have the 55 CX btw.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 10:36 AM   #356
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Old Dec 26, 2020, 12:00 PM   #357
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Let me know when the 4080 is out and I'll upgrade.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 12:09 PM   #358
logical
What is my purpose?

Show me where I can buy a 3080 and Im in. I didnt watch the video 9 minutes is too long to watch without any context of why it was posted.

Old Dec 26, 2020, 01:21 PM   #359
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Show me where I can buy a 3080 and Im in. I didnt watch the video 9 minutes is too long to watch without any context of why it was posted.

The video is not for you maybe
The high res monitors got very cheap and people tend to rush and buy them without thinking about the price for the infrastructure needed to runs games smoothly on them.If you buy a 4k monitor for the next 10 years you have to buy flagship video cards that costs ... flagship prices

Last edited by badsykes : Dec 26, 2020 at 01:31 PM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2020, 01:24 PM   #360
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Oh we take it in, that's just the point of PC gaming.

You get what you pay for, you can have amazing cutting edge visuals but it will cost you more, or you can have not bad visuals and it will cost you less, or you can have wtf my eyes and it will cost you very little.

Also 1440P is easy to run on pretty much any potato GPU there is, maybe not with Ray Tracing but certainly standard rasterization.

4K is demanding sure, but without ray tracing you're going to get 60fps + with pretty much most games and a RTX 3080, with Ray Tracing maybe but depends on the game, DLSS setting, and how much ray tracing is involved.

1-2x more generations and 4K will be a doddle, unless ps5/xsx start releasing some serious powerhouse games.