Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Aug 19, 2020, 11:38 AM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Decided to go with the 38" LG38WN95C-W after changing my mind a million times. I could add a small secondary display later on, but doubt I would. Really just want a single large display and a clean desktop for a change.

Just been playing the waiting game since Sunday to try and grab one from Best Buy. Out of stock currently.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2020, 11:53 AM   #92
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I saw the WK95 and was warming up to it but then I saw the price tag of 5450 dirhams and said **** that ****. My LG OLED is 5000 dirhams.

Is there a reason to go Gsync rather than Freesync that is Gsync compatible?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2020, 01:00 PM   #93
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Is there a reason to go Gsync rather than Freesync that is Gsync compatible?
Not really. That monitor doesn't have the actual GSYNC module, it's also just compatible. The price is definitely high, which is why I was avoiding it. But, it seems to be what I'm looking for.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 19, 2020, 07:53 PM   #94
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Decided to go with the 38" LG38WN95C-W
Noice
Old Aug 20, 2020, 01:12 PM   #95
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Just browsing around over lunch and stumbled across the LG LG34WK95U, which is 34" 5120x2160. Kind of tempting, and is $100 cheaper than the 38" I've been looking at.

I don't think it has Freesync/Gsync support, so I believe that's a dealer killer.

Anyone looked at that before?

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Aug 20, 2020, 01:42 PM   #96
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

You want a smaller monitor without Gsync support to save only a $100? Doesn't seem that much of a great deal to me.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 01:49 PM   #97
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
You want a smaller monitor without Gsync support to save only a $100? Doesn't seem that much of a great deal to me.

No, the sharper image is what got my attention. But as you and I both mentioned, no gsync support kind of kills the interest.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Aug 20, 2020, 01:50 PM   #98
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

It's only 60hz if that bothers you, the 38" is 144.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 02:08 PM   #99
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
It's only 60hz if that bothers you, the 38" is 144.
If we're being honest with ourselves here, nobody is gaming at much over 60Hz on any of these displays anyway.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have the higher resolution for future use (much later in the future...)...but it's not useful right now in anything except Windows desktop use. I'd be lucky to get even 60fps on any of the games I intend to play.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:21 PM   #100
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

So what did you buy?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 07:19 AM   #101
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
So what did you buy?
Still plan on buying the LG LG34WK95U, but waiting for it to get back in stock. Buying from Best Buy so I can have an easy return if I don't care for it.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Aug 21, 2020, 07:24 AM   #102
KAC
It might be gays!

Makes sense.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 07:41 AM   #103
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Makes sense.
Yeah, I'm even apprehensive about that display too. Just don't know what else to get. I'm sitting at normal desk distances now, so 48"+ is just too big. There are no decent 4k displays between 32" and 48". So the only options as I see it are 27" 1440P, 34" 3440x1440, or 38" 3600x1600.

The 38" seems fine, but it does put me in that spot of games being hard to run again and the price is ridiculous.

Edit: Still open to considering various options if anyone has ideas. The price on the 38" bugs me.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh

Last edited by OverclockN' : Aug 21, 2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 08:48 AM   #104
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Still plan on buying the LG LG34WK95U, but waiting for it to get back in stock. Buying from Best Buy so I can have an easy return if I don't care for it.
Lack of gsync makes it so that you are going to get tearing.

38" is still a pretty decent resolution, and you I can see you getting >60fps ,especially if you plan to get a 3080 or higher which should easily push games above 60fps at that resolution.

Gsync means that even if you go BELOW 60fps then you will get no tearing.

Not only that but 144hz feels much better on everything even desktop, but that's just me.

also that monitor you want seems to have issues with Image retention.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidema..._34wk95u_help/

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34...onitor/reviews

etc

High framerate plus a virtually 4K ultrawide is much better than a 5K monitor and 60hz with a risk of image burnin, but to each their own.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 08:51 AM   #105
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

WAIT!

I copied the wrong monitor from above. The 38" is the model I poorly attempted to copy.

38" LG38WN95C-W is the one I've been trying to purchase, but out of stock.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Aug 21, 2020, 09:05 AM   #106
KAC
It might be gays!

Why would LG monitors have burn in problems? Aren’t these VA panels?

I have my eyes on Ultragear 38 with Gsync module.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 09:18 AM   #107
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Why would LG monitors have burn in problems? Aren’t these VA panels?

I have my eyes on Ultragear 38 with Gsync module.
No they are IPS.

Not sure if you are interested OCN, but the Microcenter by me is selling a display LG 950F for $750
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2020, 09:23 AM   #108
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
No they are IPS.

Not sure if you are interested OCN, but the Microcenter by me is selling a display LG 950F for $750
No, I'd just buy a new one for $150 more. But thanks!

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Aug 21, 2020, 09:37 AM   #109
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
No they are IPS.

IPS has burn in issues. I thought that wasn’t possible? Very weird.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 09:40 AM   #110
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Yeh actually Death Stranding has very limited resolution options, wouldn't be surprised if it limited you to 1440p.

Just noticed you have the 38GN950 Am thinking about getting it myself, but not available here yet. What do you think about the 38WN95C-W? Specs look great but can't seem to find input latency data on it.
I considered that one, for some reason, it lacked hdr+vrr support, you have to pick one or the other.

And while hdr600 isn't all that, it does look much better than sdr in many of the titles I've tried.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2020, 09:55 AM   #111
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
IPS has burn in issues. I thought that wasn’t possible? Very weird.
IPS does not have burn in issues.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Aug 21, 2020, 12:48 PM   #112
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

The one he mentioned does, but it's not IPS it's some Nano IPS ****.

Don't shoot thre messenger if I get told the wrong monitor
Old Aug 21, 2020, 12:57 PM   #113
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

My old asus 3440x1440 UW has permanent image retention, and that is an IPS panel.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2020, 01:02 PM   #114
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
The one he mentioned does, but it's not IPS it's some Nano IPS ****.

Don't shoot thre messenger if I get told the wrong monitor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
My old asus 3440x1440 UW has permanent image retention, and that is an IPS panel.
First I've heard of it.

The monitor I'm looking at is also Nano-IPS.

LG 38WN95C-W

Quote:
38" Curved UltraWide QHD+ (3840 x 1600) Nano IPS Display
DCI-P3 98% Color Gamut and VESA DisplayHDR 600
Thunderbolt™ 3 Connectivity with 94W PD
IPS 1ms (GtG) 144Hz Refresh Rate
NVIDIA® G-SYNC® Compatible
AMD FreeSync™ Premium Pro

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Aug 21, 2020, 01:21 PM   #115
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

IPS can have image burn in, yes.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2020, 01:26 PM   #116
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
First I've heard of it.

The monitor I'm looking at is also Nano-IPS.

LG 38WN95C-W
https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidema..._34wk95u_help/

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34...onitor/reviews

The links I posted before were only a couple of the ones I found (there was more).

I don't see any specific mention of that one you linked though, just the 34 one you mistakingly linked.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 01:26 PM   #117
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Yeah, I'm reading about it online.

That bugs me. I have no idea what to get then.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Aug 21, 2020, 01:29 PM   #118
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
That's gotta be rare. Image persistence is usually reversible due to the nature of how LCD tech works. But I gotta imagine you have probabled tried like hell to reverse it. Man that sucks

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2020, 11:35 PM   #119
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Yeah, I'm reading about it online.

That bugs me. I have no idea what to get then.
Image retention issues seem limited to the 5k display from what I can tell. My 34GK950 is also nano cell IPS and is fine after 2 years of use.

I think you'd be fine going with any of the following: 34GN850, 38GN950, 38WN95C.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 12:02 AM   #120
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Image retention issues seem limited to the 5k display from what I can tell. My 34GK950 is also nano cell IPS and is fine after 2 years of use.

I think you'd be fine going with any of the following: 34GN850, 38GN950, 38WN95C.
I put my old HP ZR24W display up on the desk tonight, which is a 24" 1920x1200 display. It's just shy of a 27" monitor in height by maybe 1/2" at most. The 27" with proper 16:9 is a bit wider though. Still, it gave me a good idea of what to expect. Ran a couple games on it. A 27" will not be big enough for me.

I REALLY don't want to pay $1600 (closer to $1800 after taxes) for the 38" UW, but the size seems right for my taste.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600