Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 28, 2020, 03:13 PM   #241
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Btw, I just spent 1+ hours of playing Cyberjunk 2077. Now I have all possible things enabled but the CPU never boosted beyond 4.7 Gs (with the exception of odd 4.8 here or there). Usually ran at 4625 and at 62 C. This is with the 1.25 volts. I am really pissed off because the CPU can surely boost higher than this. Will see how far it boosts with auto volts.

You do realize that you are pretty much bang on from what most reviewers are getting for Ryzen3 OC's.

AMD OCing headroom isn't massive in terms of gains and clock speeds. And you need to jump through hoops. You need to make that memory is 1:1 with the infinity fabric otherwise once you move from 1:1 to 1:2 you see massive performance loss. So OCing memory above 3600MHz on AMD is shotty at best. Then there is PBO vs tradiditon OC PBO being a better bet and just Let AMD's auto OC do its thing.

If you wanted to just throw tons of voltage and crank clock speeds you should've went Intel.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2020, 04:25 PM   #242
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Really see no point in trying to Overclock Ryzen's, its been a known fact you dont gain much from it for years. I guess if that's what one likes to do, Intel would have been the way to go as they always leave room to OC, Ryzen pushes it almost to max out of the box, the way I like it, I dont have to touch it. Its still generally the fastest CPU out of the box right now. And until you get faster GPU's your not even close to maxing the 5900X out. Still would make no sense to buy another CPU until this one is maxed out, unless all you want to do is fiddle around with overclocking.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2020, 04:46 PM   #243
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Btw, I just spent 1+ hours of playing Cyberjunk 2077. Now I have all possible things enabled but the CPU never boosted beyond 4.7 Gs (with the exception of odd 4.8 here or there). Usually ran at 4625 and at 62 C. This is with the 1.25 volts. I am really pissed off because the CPU can surely boost higher than this. Will see how far it boosts with auto volts.

Sounds about right for multi core boost
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 28, 2020, 07:11 PM   #244
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Subscriber

KAC you'd be better off just letting the CPU do its thing. set your infinity fabric to 1800 and OC the memory to 3600mhz and just enjoy it.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2020, 07:24 PM   #245
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Subscriber

Just think KAC - you could have a 3090 right now if you didnt make this pointless upgrade from your intel system.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2020, 08:11 PM   #246
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Don't worry, he'll get that too.. right after he gets a 10900k next week.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 08:40 PM   #247
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
KAC you'd be better off just letting the CPU do its thing. set your infinity fabric to 1800 and OC the memory to 3600mhz and just enjoy it.
Agree. Basically what I've done. I don't mind fiddling with hardware but any more I like plug 'n play.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:58 PM   #248
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

I feel KAC want to achieve the same frequency as on intel 5 point something with Ryzen 12c ...

Last edited by badsykes : Dec 28, 2020 at 11:16 PM.
badsykes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2020, 11:18 PM   #249
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
You do realize that you are pretty much bang on from what most reviewers are getting for Ryzen3 OC's.

AMD OCing headroom isn't massive in terms of gains and clock speeds. And you need to jump through hoops. You need to make that memory is 1:1 with the infinity fabric otherwise once you move from 1:1 to 1:2 you see massive performance loss. So OCing memory above 3600MHz on AMD is shotty at best. Then there is PBO vs tradiditon OC PBO being a better bet and just Let AMD's auto OC do its thing.

If you wanted to just throw tons of voltage and crank clock speeds you should've went Intel.
I am already running 1:1 at 3733 DDR and 1867 IF. Reviewers have been getting 1900-2000 from the CPU which I haven’t been able to.

Voltage is something that I set down because of the stupid over volts that PBO does by giving the processor 1.45-1.48 under MC loads. I will set it back to auto and play Cyberpunk to see if it boosts higher with auto volts. However that is likely to make the CPU run at 80C+ again.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2020, 11:20 PM   #250
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Just think KAC - you could have a 3090 right now if you didnt make this pointless upgrade from your intel system.
Honestly that would’ve been a better outcome than this crap.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 02:06 AM   #251
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Honestly that would’ve been a better outcome than this crap.
No ... It would have been a very borring outcome..You can't deny now that you knew that the performance was minimal but you bought the AMD system anyway and you even take the drama to actually source the 5900x from US.Let's not also take into account the time you spent canceling various AMD CPU's.This AMD rig is not about the performance but about the new experience and get yourself from borring and lamentation state that you were..You wouldn't do it otherwise..Cut the crap with regrets and **** now KAC.Just say it out loud .... I love how AMD system nudged me out from confort zone.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 02:08 AM   #252
KAC
It might be gays!

Well I did learn a lot about AMD and it’s products. They are not for me if that is what you mean.

For me the best part was building the system. I am thinking about buying another one and building it. Intel this time though. Also I just sold my dead EK Predator 360 for 80 bucks so am going to order the EK AIO with extra gay RGB.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 02:48 AM   #253
demo
space cadet

z590 boards will be out soon, before RKL launches. Perhaps wait for those to ensure you get all features - it's a bit of a gamble with z490 boards.. the high end boards claim they support everything, but who knows.. at least with z590 you can be sure.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 03:08 AM   #254
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Well I did learn a lot about AMD and it’s products. They are not for me if that is what you mean.

For me the best part was building the system. I am thinking about buying another one and building it. Intel this time though. Also I just sold my dead EK Predator 360 for 80 bucks so am going to order the EK AIO with extra gay RGB.
C'mon KAC just don't lie to yourself ... Intel is borring really.It's just too easy.It's complacency..You have been with Intel for so much.The 2020 year was the year of shaking people to the core.For you actually came as an AMD system symbolically....
On one hand you swear at this AMD system but you invest a lot of time in it tuning it ?....You already invested so much money in it and lost money.By switching back to intel with RKL and selling the current AMD you will lose more money and more remorse and s*it.Let's be honest you said you wanted something else and not a 6c or even 8c.Also you said you want 5950X 16c ?
How is whole plan is about Intel anymore ? Intel have nothing above 8c when RKL lands.Intel is off the table and you know it.
I bet on demo's underwear that in 6 months you will be so knowledgeable about your AMD rig that you don't want to go back to intel.You are too obssesed with tuning it.

Last edited by badsykes : Dec 29, 2020 at 03:27 AM.
badsykes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2020, 03:14 AM   #255
KAC
It might be gays!

Of course I will purchase what is best at the time of purchase. However, this will be my last AMD for a while. Maybe in next 10 years they have something that is meaningful again.

It already took them 10 years to get here.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 04:01 AM   #256
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Of course I will purchase what is best at the time of purchase. However, this will be my last AMD for a while. Maybe in next 10 years they have something that is meaningful again.

It already took them 10 years to get here.
Why you don't consider it meaningful ?
Unless Intel will move to 10nm somehow or even pay TSMC they will be behind in the next years.Already is happening by not having more than 8c.Also pushing the 14nm to the very edge is a proof that Intel is in a questionable situation imo.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 04:34 AM   #257
KAC
It might be gays!

We will see what Intel does or does not bring to the table.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 05:10 AM   #258
demo
space cadet

No matter what they bring I bet you won't notice any difference. You have a monster CPU, shut up and be happy.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 05:14 AM   #259
KAC
It might be gays!

lolwtf.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 05:18 AM   #260
demo
space cadet

I'm just trying to make you feel better.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 05:19 AM   #261
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

He's right doe
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2020, 07:32 AM   #262
KAC
It might be gays!

Yeah it runs fine. I just maybe expected more (even wrongly). This whole taking control away from me for my clocks is something that doesn't sit well with me. I remember first time nVidia did it and how pissed I was. However, the boost algorithm is well understood and you can work it to your will within 30-50 MHz range on almost all cards with experimentation.

This ****ing thing has a complete mind of its own. I have seen it go as low as 300 MHz and as high as 5.1 Gs. It also applies volts whateva the **** it wants. Which at least I got control and fixed to 1.25. I like the computer to respond to what it is being told to do, not sit around on the side wondering what is the sauce behind what it is doing. It makes absolutely no sense that it never boosts above 4.2 Gs in CR20 running MC test as utilization is 100%. It can very well boost till 4.7 Gs as I see it do in games. Its just ****ing stupid.

Anyways, been boning games with all the monitoring crap off. Runs fast as it could.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 07:56 AM   #263
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Reviewers have been getting 1900-2000 from the CPU which I haven’t been able to.
How are they doing it though? I don't think that's really possible for every motherboard, ram, and CPU combination currently. More often than not it seems like reviewers get fantastic results, whereas many actual end users cannot achieve the same end.

The CL14 3800mhz memory I had, which was samsung b-die, would not run at 1900 IF stable. Rather than fight with it to try and eek it out by relaxing timings or otherwise messing with it, I just got a dual rank set with even better timings at 3600mhz instead. And it was plug 'n play, a total piece of cake.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2020, 08:01 AM   #264
KAC
It might be gays!

I have read a few reviews claiming that 1900 was easy and some also hit 2000. I just don’t see it possible on my motherboard. I have best board from VRM perspective so not sure what is the issue. Heck I can’t even get the ram to tighten its timings like I have been able to do with most sticks in the past. I think I have just given up. 5.1 Gs from time to time is it. Mostly it is 4.7-4.8 Gs MC in gaming and that is what matters tbh. The positive news is I have really kept temps in check now with worst games (COD CW and IFR) only hitting 71-73 C after hours upon hours of playing. At least the stupid ****ing is not giving it 1.481 volts of juice to overheat the shite out of the processor.

I will just have to live with shitty benching scores with this setup. Oh well.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 08:12 AM   #265
demo
space cadet

I don't have a Ryzen to compare, but be wary of what reviewers say passes benchmarks and what is really game stable/smooth..

Old Dec 29, 2020, 08:23 AM   #266
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
I don't have a Ryzen to compare, but be wary of what reviewers say passes benchmarks and what is really game stable.
Excellent point as many game engines will crash on an on that would pass for 3dmark.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2020, 04:20 PM   #267
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

A lot of the reviewers, like Gamers Nexus, run really aggressive overclocks also. I think they use too much voltage, especially on Ryzen, which is probably fine for just testing, but much more questionable for long term use. Non-reviewers also often don't know what they're doing and use absolutely ridiculous amounts of voltage because "they don't care if their CPU lasts ten years", not realizing that they could be shortening the lifespan to under a year. The best rule is to take whatever OC results you see with a serious grain of salt, and subtract 100-200 MHz from them.

With Ryzen, if you want more performance overclocking the CPU is largely a waste of time. The boost algorithm doesn't really leave any extra performance on the table. Going forward I doubt there's going to be any advantage overclocking on Intel either (there already barely was even with the 9000 series). The increased competition, and lack of easy process gains, means that the CPU makers are going to make sure they fully optimize frequency right out of the box.

The new frontier for overclocking is now memory overclocking. You can get upwards of a 20% performance boost by manually tuning your memory timings vs running XMP settings. This is especially true on high quality kits, because the default XMP settings are basically garbage, and will run the kit as if it was a cheap kit. XMP only sets the primary timings, so the motherboard configures everything else, and the mobo makers care more about compatibility than max performance. In particular, TRC and TRFC are set way too loose. On my Ryzen boards, TRC and TRFC are set to 85 and 600 something at 3600 MHz, vs 28 and 270 being stable on well binned Samsung b-die. Changing just those two settings adds at least 10% performance, possibly more.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2020, 04:42 PM   #268
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Most of this thread is related to user error and/or unrealistic expectations. The Ryzen 5000 CPUs are excellent, perhaps the best available today, but they don't work like Intel CPUs (in terms of overclocking), so it isn't reasonable to except similar results when tuning/overclocking. This is not due to a fault in AMD's product.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 08:54 PM   #269
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
Most of this thread is related to user error and/or unrealistic expectations. The Ryzen 5000 CPUs are excellent, perhaps the best available today, but they don't work like Intel CPUs (in terms of overclocking), so it isn't reasonable to except similar results when tuning/overclocking. This is not due to a fault in AMD's product.
Absolutely, couldn't agree more. I think most people in this thread made such recommendations from the outset... His previous CPU was just fine.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2020, 11:15 PM   #270
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
What user error are you referring to? Care to enlighten me? Also this is a thread about AMD overclocking not about my choice to go AMD. You can talk about that in the other thread.