Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:25 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Intel Cancels Intel Developer Forum, Including IDF17

https://www.techpowerup.com/232434/i...idf17#comments

Why this Ryzen year ... This is kinda big ...
Old Apr 18, 2017, 03:56 AM   #2
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/int...per-forum.html

Quote:
It seems and feels like Intel is shifting and stepping away from the processor industry. Ian from Anandtech got a response back from Intel:

I just got off the phone with Intel, discussing why IDF is being cancelled. The main reason I was given is that Intel has been changing rapidly over the last two-to-three years, especially as they are changing from a PC-centric company to a data-centric company. With the rise of AI, FPGAs, Optane, IoT, wireless comms, automotive, and the other new areas that Intel is moving into, Intel felt that IDF no longer fills the need when it comes to giving out information. As a result, the decision has been made to find new ways to communicate with the audience (media, developers and companies) and the ecosystem with targeted events. These will be like the recent AI Day or Manufacturing Day, or be connected to partner events, or involve separate geocentric events. So rather than have one big melee on everything, Intel is set to split its message across several different areas in the hope that it accurately digs deep enough into every area. I was told that Intel wants to find a better way to present the experiences in each of the fields, and this is the way to do that.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 05:23 AM   #3
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

Welp, looks like ryzen was the final nail in the 5 % ipc coffin.

RIP Intel.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 18, 2017, 07:20 AM   #4
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

If anyone thinks this has anything to do with Ryzen ..
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:25 AM   #5
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Welp, looks like ryzen was the final nail in the 5 % ipc coffin.

RIP Intel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
If anyone thinks this has anything to do with Ryzen ..
Yeah, I don't take these type of remarks seriously. Intel is doing fine. Will their profits be lower this quarter specifically due to Ryzen? Perhaps. Will their year-on-year sales decline? I wouldn't be surprised, but if anything it will be due to an overall drop in the industry thanks to rising RAM prices. $100 more in a $1500+ build doesn't mean that much to us enthusiasts but $50 more in a $300 OEM box is HUGE.

On the specific topic of this thread, I'm sad to see IDF go. It, along with Hot Chips, was one of the few industry events to bother to take a deep dive on CPUs each year. A subject which I have been interested in for the majority of my life. I hope Hot Chips doesn't disappear too!
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:41 AM   #6
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
Yeah, I don't take these type of remarks seriously. Intel is doing fine. Will their profits be lower this quarter specifically due to Ryzen? Perhaps. Will their year-on-year sales decline? I wouldn't be surprised, but if anything it will be due to an overall drop in the industry thanks to rising RAM prices. $100 more in a $1500+ build doesn't mean that much to us enthusiasts but $50 more in a $300 OEM box is HUGE.

On the specific topic of this thread, I'm sad to see IDF go. It, along with Hot Chips, was one of the few industry events to bother to take a deep dive on CPUs each year. A subject which I have been interested in for the majority of my life. I hope Hot Chips doesn't disappear too!
Intel's position isn't great:

- Declining PC sales
- "Good enough" competition from AMD for the vast majority of home/office users
- Shut out of smartphone/tablet processors
- Abandoned high performance GPU/compute project
- Real threat to their cash cow server products from 16-32 core Zen and ARM
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:52 AM   #7
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Intel's position isn't great:

- Declining PC sales
- "Good enough" competition from AMD for the vast majority of home/office users
- Shut out of smartphone/tablet processors
- Abandoned high performance GPU/compute project
- Real threat to their cash cow server products from 16-32 core Zen and ARM
I like how you don't mention the market which is responsible for the vast majority of Intel's sales and most importantly, profit until the end, then your reasoning why is:
1) a competitive part that hasn't launched yet
2) a competitive part the industry isn't interested in and basically doesn't exist (remember K12?)
Old Apr 18, 2017, 01:20 PM   #8
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Intel mercy kills IDF
Opinion: When you decide not to talk anymore……

http://semiaccurate.com/2017/04/17/i...rcy-kills-idf/
Old Apr 18, 2017, 01:23 PM   #9
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sounding like a broken record here...

It's Charlie.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 03:33 PM   #10
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

Definitely extremely rough times for Intel ahead. Might want to dump that Intel stock!!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 03:46 PM   #11
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Definitely extremely rough times for Intel ahead. Might want to dump that Intel stock!!
LMFAO. Go right ahead.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 05:08 PM   #12
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
Sounding like a broken record here...
Yep as always.. keep on keeping on SH
Old Apr 18, 2017, 05:53 PM   #13
abdavey
Radeon R420

abdavey is still being judged by the masses

Cool

Come on, We already know Intel will be a powerhouse for centuries.. The last mimsie that the little girl cried on and saved the human race had an intel 3d processor...
abdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:36 PM   #14
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
Yep as always.. keep on keeping on SH
Feel free to offer a counter-argument.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:08 PM   #15
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Sounds to me like Intel is being realistic.

Preparing for long term, and changes in the "industry" for perhaps when our phones (or similar devices) pack as much power as our gaming desktops do now (or more)?

Its truly only a matter of time.

This hurting Intel short term? Maybe. Long term, Intel has the resources to make big (or small) things happen.

Doom and gloom? No, I don't think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:47 PM   #16
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

It's possible for there to be a middle ground between doing great, and going out of business. Currently Intel is still making good money and is in a good competitive position. Looking down the road things don't look nearly as good for them. Overall AMD's performance is not what they need to be concerned about. If AMD went under they'd gain another 10% market share, and if AMD does well they might lose some market share. It will have an impact, but not be the major driver of their performance.

I don't agree with the optimistic view of Intel's long term potential. It looks to me like their playbook (tick-tock/process improvements) has stopped working, they're facing erosion in their main industry, their inroads into new markets like smartphones have fizzled, and they really don't know what to do about it. Plenty of large companies in the past have had plenty of resources, and still stumbled due to being bloated and out of touch.

Last edited by Nagorak : Apr 19, 2017 at 08:43 PM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 03:22 PM   #17
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Didn't Intel some time ago (a year ago or so?) present their plan to shift development on desktops and laptops (x86) pretty substantially over to smaller devices (IoT stuff)? This might not be a surprise, not to me anyway, but perhaps I'm missing something? I mean, come on. 7 year old i7s still work very well, even more so as support for more threads have improved. Windows 10 running on ARM. GPUs are offloading CPUs. Optane looks very good, but you have to wonder if that isn't already axed.

Intel is huge. They do more than CPUs. Could be we're slowly seing their focus shift in action that might have started several years ago. They're big. Reorganizing takes a long time. It would be nice to see them doing well on phones, for competitions sake, wouldn't it?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 04:33 PM   #18
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The AMD fanboyism in this thread is laughable.

What some of you forget is Intel still is, and will always be, an enterprise powerhouse. Good luck convincing people like me who purchase, manage, and deploy servers to switch to AMD. I'll ride or die with Xeons.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 08:46 PM   #19
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
Really? Because this just reeks of fanboy.
Quote:
What some of you forget is Intel still is, and will always be, an enterprise powerhouse. Good luck convincing people like me who purchase, manage, and deploy servers to switch to AMD. I'll ride or die with Xeons.
Always is a really long time, in 25 years Intel could very well be yesterdays news.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 08:47 PM   #20
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboye View Post
Didn't Intel some time ago (a year ago or so?) present their plan to shift development on desktops and laptops (x86) pretty substantially over to smaller devices (IoT stuff)? This might not be a surprise, not to me anyway, but perhaps I'm missing something? I mean, come on. 7 year old i7s still work very well, even more so as support for more threads have improved. Windows 10 running on ARM. GPUs are offloading CPUs. Optane looks very good, but you have to wonder if that isn't already axed.

Intel is huge. They do more than CPUs. Could be we're slowly seing their focus shift in action that might have started several years ago. They're big. Reorganizing takes a long time. It would be nice to see them doing well on phones, for competitions sake, wouldn't it?
The problem is the things they're going into will struggle to replace their huge margins in CPUs. Sure, they do more than CPUs, but really they mostly do CPUs. That's their bread and butter and where they had the greatest advantage. As they face erosion there, I don't see their future looking as bright as their past. But that isn't to say they'll go out of business either. IBM is still around today, too.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 09:26 PM   #21
lazyx
Radeon Southern Islands

lazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Both Intel and AMD should be worried about ARM. AMD more so than Intel.
lazyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 08:43 AM   #22
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post

I'll absolutely buy AMD servers if they offer more value than Intel. My 16 core PowerEdge R515 VMware server still runs like a champ.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 09:13 AM   #23
Jay20016

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
Really? Because this just reeks of fanboy.

Always is a really long time, in 25 years Intel could very well be yesterdays news.
One needs look no further than IBM for how tech can change, and quickly.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote