Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:03 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
rayzian
brokestatus

rayzian is still being judged by the masses

Default How to upgrade a Dell? (Dell Dimension 2400)

Alright, my friend wants me to upgrade his comp, but it's a Dell Dimension 2400 from Dell (lol). All I know is that it has a P4 2.2GHz and craptastic integrated Intel graphics.

He wants more memory and more "speed" so I'm guessing he wants some more memory (obviously), a new vidcard and maybe a CPU upgrade. What kinda mobo is in this mutha, anyone know? Is it possible to upgrade the CPU? does the mobo even have an AGP slot? Or will he have to buy a new mobo aswell? I can't find jack about the Dimension 2400, I'm hoping someone here has one..
Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:20 PM   #2
magicknight0233
Radeon Arctic Islands

magicknight0233 is still being judged by the masses

It uses the i845GV chipset so there's no AGP slot, supports DDR333 (but no dual-channel), and supports 533/400FSB. It normally comes with a Celeron 2.4Ghz so I think the fastest possible upgrade would be a P4-2.8Ghz Socket-478 with HyperThreading.
You might want to check Dell's website first though and see if they say otherwise or if you need a BIOS update or something.
magicknight0233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:58 AM   #3
Firestar_3x
The Grand Master!

Firestar_3x is still being judged by the masses

Not sure if the 2400 Features HT Support, i will check today cause we have several at work.

As MagicKnight pointed out the board features no AGP slot, so your gonna need a PCI GFX, fastest one can be found Here Kindly pointed out by Twinke Masta.

The CPU Can be upgraded to any 533FSB P4 but check which memory is in the system first, Dell is know to put the slowest speed ram they can get away with so upping the FSB to 533 may cause problems.

You can't change the motherboard in the machine because the case is custom fit to that type of mobo and has Special connectors for the power buttons / LED'S & speaker. TBH the amount of cash you need to sink into this your friend might as well cut his losses and get a much better AMD XP setup.
Rig 1: AMD 64 3500 - Phase Change Cooled / Abit AV8 3rd Eye - Watercooled Chipset / 2048Mb Corsair XMS 3500 Cas 2 / NEC 3500 DVD±RW / Enermax Noisetaker 600W / x800 XT - Watercooled / 2x 74GB WD Raptors In Raid 0 / 2x 200Gb SATA WD 8Mb Cache / Creative Audigy 2 ZS / Logitech Z-680's / Lian-Li PC-75 / Vapochill PE / Waterchill KT12-L20 / 2x Viewsonic VX2025VM X Series 20" LCD Monitor / Func 1030 / Logitech DiNovo.

Home Cinema: Panasonic TH-42PW6 42" Plasma TV (HDTV + Progressive Scan) / Wall Mount Bracket / Logitech Z680 Speakers / Toshiba SD340 DivX Multi-region DVD Player (Progressive Scan) / X-box 360 / Playstation 2 / Aver Media STB-3 / Sky Digital / Progressive Scan Interconnects / Optical Audio.

Bender / Futurama - How about you interface with my ass, by biting it!
[email protected] Member Rank

Last edited by Firestar_3x : Dec 13, 2004 at 07:14 AM.
Firestar_3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 14, 2004, 02:20 PM   #4
rayzian
brokestatus

Alright, thanks alot guys.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 02:32 PM   #5
Firestar_3x
The Grand Master!

Firestar_3x is still being judged by the masses

NP mate.
Rig 1: AMD 64 3500 - Phase Change Cooled / Abit AV8 3rd Eye - Watercooled Chipset / 2048Mb Corsair XMS 3500 Cas 2 / NEC 3500 DVD±RW / Enermax Noisetaker 600W / x800 XT - Watercooled / 2x 74GB WD Raptors In Raid 0 / 2x 200Gb SATA WD 8Mb Cache / Creative Audigy 2 ZS / Logitech Z-680's / Lian-Li PC-75 / Vapochill PE / Waterchill KT12-L20 / 2x Viewsonic VX2025VM X Series 20" LCD Monitor / Func 1030 / Logitech DiNovo.

Home Cinema: Panasonic TH-42PW6 42" Plasma TV (HDTV + Progressive Scan) / Wall Mount Bracket / Logitech Z680 Speakers / Toshiba SD340 DivX Multi-region DVD Player (Progressive Scan) / X-box 360 / Playstation 2 / Aver Media STB-3 / Sky Digital / Progressive Scan Interconnects / Optical Audio.

Bender / Futurama - How about you interface with my ass, by biting it!
[email protected] Member Rank
Firestar_3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 03:08 PM   #6
rayzian
brokestatus

BTW, get back to me when you find out if they have HT support, thanks again.

Oh yeah, and does anyone know if they support the Celeron-D? or would I have to bios flash it..

Last edited by rayzian : Dec 14, 2004 at 03:14 PM.
rayzian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 03:56 PM   #7
Twinke Masta
King of Blues

Twinke Masta is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestar_3x
Not sure if the 2400 Features HT Support, i will check today cause we have several at work.

As MagicKnight pointed out the board features no AGP slot, so your gonna need a PCI GFX, fastest one can be found Here Kindly pointed out by Twinke Masta.

The CPU Can be upgraded to any 533FSB P4 but check which memory is in the system first, Dell is know to put the slowest speed ram they can get away with so upping the FSB to 533 may cause problems.

You can't change the motherboard in the machine because the case is custom fit to that type of mobo and has Special connectors for the power buttons / LED'S & speaker. TBH the amount of cash you need to sink into this your friend might as well cut his losses and get a much better AMD XP setup.
The 9100 PCI is quite fast and is practically on par with the 5700 LE PCI , so he can get both...I guess
Old Dec 14, 2004, 04:23 PM   #8
multicycle

just buy a new pc, since u r buying all the core stuff anyways.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 06:16 PM   #9
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Tell him to not waste his money on upgrading a Dell. And just save what he has for buying a new one when he can afford it.