Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 12, 2022, 12:04 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default 4K vs 1440p vs 1080p - What Monitor Resolution Should You Buy?

Old Jan 12, 2022, 12:09 PM   #2
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

You should buy the monitor that has the features you want.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2022, 12:13 PM   #3
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

What about 720p and 480p?

The monitor I want:

HDMI 2.1
120Hz Native or higher.
.000000000000000000000001MS response
1000 Nits Peak Brightness
HDR 10+ / Dolby Vision / 12Bit
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, Asus Strix 3080Ti OC, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 12, 2022, 12:14 PM   #4
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

8k, obviously.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 12:57 PM   #5
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Bingo.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2022, 01:14 PM   #6
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
This so that meant 1440p high refresh for me.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2022, 01:35 PM   #7
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

1080p min + 144hz for me

I dont need all that resolution when my face is a couple feet away from the screen....
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2022, 01:40 PM   #8
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
I dont need all that resolution when my face is a couple feet away from the screen....
One could argue that's actually exactly when you would need higher res - when closer to the screen. Being close you can really see the pixels which affects clarity. Further away its not so evident.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2022, 09:02 PM   #9
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwards

I love that no one is talking about the video content, including the OP. I didn't watch it. Did anyone else?

1440p for me for same argument as Sasquatch. Might change to 1080p as my vision gets worse. But might change to 4k when I start playing games with reading glasses.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2022, 09:21 PM   #10
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
I love that no one is talking about the video content, including the OP. I didn't watch it. Did anyone else?

1440p for me for same argument as Sasquatch. Might change to 1080p as my vision gets worse. But might change to 4k when I start playing games with reading glasses.
Didn't watch. They bore me for some reason.

I like ultrawide monitors. After using one, I can never go back.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2022, 09:48 PM   #11
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:

I watched it. It sums up that 1440p is more of less the current sweet spot. Where if you need faster monitors you go 1080p and if you need more fidelity you have weight the pros/cons of going 4k as the monitors are considerably more expensive, harder to run and have fewer options.

Followed by Ultrawide being the more immersive option. But you pay a premium for it and there are not as many options as their 16:9 cousins.

It was a really good breakdown

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:13 PM   #12
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

There were plenty of discussions in the past on this subject.

On top of all that was said in the video i do feel RT will keep the 1080p alive for a while.Even the high end cards (especially AMD ones) struggle with it.RT is still in infancy imo.

Last edited by badsykes : Jan 13, 2022 at 12:15 AM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:16 PM   #13
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

My biggest gripe with ultrawides is that they are poor in terms of pixel density. a 34" WQHD ultrawide has almost the same pixel density as a 27" inch 1440p monitor.

Give me UWQHD, or better, at 29".

It is not possible to get legible text at the resolutions/screen sizes people use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:17 PM   #14
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
What about 720p and 480p?

The monitor I want:

HDMI 2.1
120Hz Native or higher.
.000000000000000000000001MS response
1000 Nits Peak Brightness
HDR 10+ / Dolby Vision / 12Bit
I do feel CRT for 480 and 720p would be the way
Old Jan 13, 2022, 09:55 AM   #15
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

I went 4k once a few years back with the LGn850 whatever it was, its just not worth the FPS tax. I went to a 32" 1440p, then went to a 27" 1440P, I do think I prefer the 32" 1440p above all.

Honestly, that Samsung 32" Curved VA was the best looking monitor I have ever even came close to having, but the flicker was so bad I went through 6 panels. I really, really, really wish that monitor would have worked.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:12 AM   #16
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

I want 1440p + 120hz, 32in, HDR.
I had 1080p, 60hz, 27in.

My monitor died in the middle of the work day, I needed a replacement same day. (Personal monitor, I work from home).
Soooo...
I now have 1440p, 90hz, 32in HDR. Getting closer.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:42 PM   #17
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
My biggest gripe with ultrawides is that they are poor in terms of pixel density. a 34" WQHD ultrawide has almost the same pixel density as a 27" inch 1440p monitor.

It is not possible to get legible text at the resolutions/screen sizes people use.
It's really not that "poor". 27" 1440p display is 108ppi. Which is higher than normal. Normal imho being 1920x1080 @ 23/24", which is about 90ish PPI.

"Poor" imho is when you start going 1080p @ 27"+. Which I personally like, as it makes it easier for me to pick out little moving pixels I can then kill in Apex

System:
Old Jan 13, 2022, 06:04 PM   #18
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind once held a door open for a complete strangerLordHawkwind once held a door open for a complete strangerLordHawkwind once held a door open for a complete stranger

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
It's really not that "poor". 27" 1440p display is 108ppi. Which is higher than normal. Normal imho being 1920x1080 @ 23/24", which is about 90ish PPI.

"Poor" imho is when you start going 1080p @ 27"+. Which I personally like, as it makes it easier for me to pick out little moving pixels I can then kill in Apex
I have a 34" UWQHD monitor and a 3090 and it's great. I previously had a 27" 1440p monitor and it didn't push the 3090 enough, in some games around 70% utilisation. Surely it's not just your monitor it's more about the graphics card that's driving it or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2022, 07:52 PM   #19
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Utilisation is a balance between GPU load (graphics, resolution) and CPU speed. IE- if your CPU is too slow it will be the limiting factor and as a result drop GPU Utilisation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post

That's true. Even my 38" 3840x1600 display has the same pixel density as 27" 1440p.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:24 AM   #20
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I'm using a 28" 4K monitor (Acer V280K) with a 3080ti FE. The refresh on the Acer maxes at 60hz, and I know my 3080ti can go beyond that easily. However, since I'm not a competitive gamer, 60fps is perfectly fine for me. The Acer also has HDR10, which along with auto-HDR, can be stunning in most games.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2022, 01:16 PM   #21
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

3440x1440 on a 34'' curved monitor run by a 1080GTX and I'm more than satisfied with ppi, iq and gaming performance at high/ultra settings...

...if it wasn't for horrible reverse ghosting which is sorta driving me crazy, fortunately ONLY in specific conditions (highlights on dark backgrounds, to mention one, and in a couple of games only).

resolution is the sweet spot for me, and the better G-Sync LG ips monitor I'm eyeing is out of my reach price-wise atm.
Wish monitor firmware updates were more of a thing
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2022, 02:53 PM   #22
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote