Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Oct 22, 2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Venomelite

Venomelite is still being judged by the masses

Flat Panel Display Radeon 5850 Dual Display + Win7 retail x64 Video glitching

Hey guys, just recently got a Diamond 5850 and decided to borrow my friends monitor (Acer H213H) to have some fun with Dual Display. When any activity is being done on the main display (Samsung T260HD) I get random glitchiness on the top display (Which is the Acer) the video below will show you what I mean..

http://s389.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=100_0315.flv

It also happends when I launch a game, generally when I am in the in game menu (Crysis comes to mind) but happened in most apps, dont think it really is specifically an app just any. System specs are as follows..

AMD Phenom 9550 Quad Core
MSI K9A2CF
Rosewill 950watt psu
1x Diamond ATI Radeon 5850
4x Segate HDs RAID 0
1x DVD ROM
1x DVD Burner
Samsung T260HD (Monitor on bottom of desk)
Acer H213H (Monitor on top of desk)
ATI Catalyst 9.10 (Also happened on 9.11 Betas)
Windows 7 x64 retail

First time really messing around with dual displays so I am not very familiar with it, if I missed something let me know. Both displays do not have the same native res either. 1920x1080 on the Acer and 1920x1200 on the Sammy. Thanks for your time

Last edited by Venomelite : Oct 22, 2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Fogot to add something.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 06:33 PM   #2
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Disable overdrive til the bug gets fixed. If you dont the clocks revert to 157 / 300 which isn't enough to run more than one monitor.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Venomelite

Venomelite is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyre View Post
Disable overdrive til the bug gets fixed. If you dont the clocks revert to 157 / 300 which isn't enough to run more than one monitor.

Wow those are some horrid clocks.. so, its a known bug then and just noticing something else (after I disable overdrive) for the current values listing if I use the mousewheel and rapidly move a page up and down my gpu clock raises to 725 and then back to 400 if i leave it alone (memory clocks stay the same) and my gpu activity is 0% considering I am not even running any 3d apps at all. Thanks though, at least my display no longer glitches/flickers etc.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:06 PM   #4
RickCain
Radeon R300

RickCain is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomelite View Post
Wow those are some horrid clocks.. so, its a known bug then and just noticing something else (after I disable overdrive) for the current values listing if I use the mousewheel and rapidly move a page up and down my gpu clock raises to 725 and then back to 400 if i leave it alone (memory clocks stay the same) and my gpu activity is 0% considering I am not even running any 3d apps at all. Thanks though, at least my display no longer glitches/flickers etc.
Boy am I glad I saw this thread as I thought my 5870 was bad.....

Mine jumps to 850 core when I move the mouse too

Hopefully will be fixed on next release of CAT's.
DD T Rack
PPC 850 Power Supply
1 x 300 Vello HD OS
1 x 1TB HD storage
Cooling brought to you by Dtek and Feser!
Old Nov 5, 2009, 09:28 PM   #5
krkk123

krkk123 is still being judged by the masses

I have the same glitching issue with my brand new 5870 Vapor-X. I have not enabled overdrive. Any idea how I can get this to stop jumping around on my second display?

In my case I have 2 HannSpree HF 257 24" monitors at 1920 x 1080 60Hz. I beleive my overdrive is disabled by default. I am dual booting both Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64. I notice the problem with both OS but more so in Windows 7. I have uninstalled the drive multiple times and even tried both catalyst 9.9 and 9.10 versions, same issue.

I am trying to figure out if this is a lemon card or bad drivers. THis only happens in extended display mode. When I choose single for Clone there is no glitching.

Thanks,
Joe
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:51 PM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Driver issue, try OpenCL beta's from AMD developer zone (google ATi Stream 2.0 beta4 and look under downloads)
Old Nov 6, 2009, 09:56 PM   #7
krkk123

Ok I am going to uninstall my 9.10 driver and install this beta driver. I will post my results shortly.

Thanks for replying.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:18 PM   #8
krkk123

Ok i installed the beta but what am I supposed to do next? I have uninstalled my driver and installed the stream beta 4 but its does not include a driver.

Sorry for being a noob lol.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:41 AM   #9
krkk123

Ok I have been researching this issue all night and found a great thread that has a temp solution that worked for me.
http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...VIEWTMP=Linear

Pretty much ATI Powerplay is the culprit that causes flickering on a second monitor. These guys suggest downloading the AMD GPU Clock Tool and manualy setting your default clock/memory speeds to factory default. This effectivley kills powerplay.

Thought I would share this with you guys.

Hope ATI fixes this issue soon with a driver update.

For those that dont konw this problem is with people with 2 monitors.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 05:45 PM   #10
PiGsEaR

PiGsEaR is still being judged by the masses

Hi

I have just bought an MSI 5850 and have an identical horizontal flicker/tearing issue on both screens, manly the 2nd. It seems to be definitely related to extended screen mode. 22" at 1680 and 19" at 1280. Putting the 22" at 1280 did not resolve.

Interestingly one time it was tearing on the main screen. I disabled the 2nd screen from the CCC task bar icon, the flicker disappeared, I enabled the 2nd mon again and the flicker/tear moved to the 2nd. The horizontal tearing is most obvious if left in extended mode whilst playing BF2.

I have an OCZ 600w PSU and a P31 intel chipset Gygabyte board. There was no issue running the previous 800 GTS before this ATI card.

This is the second card, as I presumed the first was faulty :s

Any fix for you guys yet?

Last edited by PiGsEaR : Feb 5, 2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 02:21 PM   #11
Mystik
Radeon Arctic Islands

Mystik is still being judged by the masses

none of the fixes already posted work for you?