Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old May 9, 2022, 04:46 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default What would you do in this situation? (Job Related)

So I'm in the final interview process for 2 jobs. If I received offers from both, I'm not sure which one I'd pick. FWIW, neither of them are what I would consider "dream jobs", but they aren't bad roles either.

Job A:
  • My would-be direct supervisor seemed super cool thus far and we hit it off very well in previous interviews
  • I would only have to go into the office 0-1 days per week
  • Job seems like it would be more enjoyable to me than Job B, but it's also going to be slightly higher stress.

Job B:
  • My would-be direct supervisor seems very nice and laid back, but he's a bit older and we'd probably not have a ton in common on a personal level, which isn't a deal breaker for me but it'd be nice.
  • I would have to go into NYC 2-3 times a week (2 days being the norm)
  • Lower stress than Job A
  • Salary is 10%-15% higher

Everything else being the same, which would you pick? Obviously if the rest of the comp pkg for one job sucks it makes it easier, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Desktop - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2022, 04:48 PM   #2
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Does the stress of driving into NYC make up for the lower stress of the job itself so it evens with Job A?
dodger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2022, 04:51 PM   #3
xCLAVEx
FYI FTP BGI BOYB

xCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird sings

I'd go for lower stress and higher paying job.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

"A man moaning in a pr0n sounds like a cow with a kidney stone."

"It's often not your fault if you have problems, but it is your responsibility to do something about them".
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 9, 2022, 04:57 PM   #4
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Does the stress of driving into NYC make up for the lower stress of the job itself so it evens with Job A?
I'd blow my brains out if I had to drive into NYC. Most of us take trains into NYC.

With that being said, it is 8-12hrs a week I would lose to commuting (commuting cost difference would probably work out to <$2000/yr so it's a non-factor in that aspect). BUT, I wouldn't have a problem with doing it for the additional income.
Desktop - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Old May 9, 2022, 05:24 PM   #5
Jankan
Banged

Jankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJankan exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Not sure how far you are from NYC but i don't think i would consider having to go there 3 times a week for 10% more and my train trip will be about an hour. One thing i realized during the pandemic and now being a little more normal is commute/traffic makes a big difference in my day
Old May 9, 2022, 05:35 PM   #6
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankan View Post
Not sure how far you are from NYC but i don't think i would consider having to go there 3 times a week for 10% more and my train trip will be about an hour. One thing i realized during the pandemic and now being a little more normal is commute/traffic makes a big difference in my day
That's honestly my only hold up. But 10% is a 5-digit number, so it's very hard to just not fixate on that.
Old May 9, 2022, 06:29 PM   #7
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwards

It also depend on your financial situation; how much is the extra money going to help your lifestyle or long-term goals?

FWIW a while back they did a study in Japan and the average Tokyo commuter spends ~ seven years of his or her life commuting. Of course that was 5-6 days a week.
Old May 9, 2022, 06:30 PM   #8
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

... is there potential for growth in pay at the lower paying one?

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2022, 06:39 PM   #9
Capt. Picard
Radeon Southern Islands

Capt. Picard can recite pi backwardsCapt. Picard can recite pi backwardsCapt. Picard can recite pi backwardsCapt. Picard can recite pi backwardsCapt. Picard can recite pi backwardsCapt. Picard can recite pi backwardsCapt. Picard can recite pi backwards

B.

If the "cool guy" from job A was a hot chick I would reconsider but otherwise you don't take a job to make a friend.
Old May 9, 2022, 07:38 PM   #10
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post
It also depend on your financial situation; how much is the extra money going to help your lifestyle or long-term goals?

FWIW a while back they did a study in Japan and the average Tokyo commuter spends ~ seven years of his or her life commuting. Of course that was 5-6 days a week.
I used to spend 4hrs per day commuting to Manhattan. I'm over commuting daily.

The money won't help my lifestyle per say (I will still be able to pay all my bills and have disposable income), but it will help with goals for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
... is there potential for growth in pay at the lower paying one?
It'd take a few years to make up the 10%. Not sure on growth potential at either spot, but based on the type of companies they are, probably not much unless an incumbent leaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Picard View Post
B.

If the "cool guy" from job A was a hot chick I would reconsider but otherwise you don't take a job to make a friend.
It has nothing to do with making friends. In my experience being able to have things in common with your supervisor makes the actual job better.
Old May 9, 2022, 09:10 PM   #11
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Cool guys in interviews are usually assholes.
B would be my pick.
Best of luck.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2022, 10:45 PM   #12
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Job A. Don't undervalue your time.
Job B. If you don't mind loosing the time for the extra money.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2022, 02:56 AM   #13
xCLAVEx
FYI FTP BGI BOYB

xCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird sings

I spend about 10 hours commuting a week. It gets old fast, especially when most of it is start and stop over and over.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

"A man moaning in a pr0n sounds like a cow with a kidney stone."

"It's often not your fault if you have problems, but it is your responsibility to do something about them".
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2022, 03:49 AM   #14
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

i'd take job B.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Time is the school in which we learn, Time is the fire in which we burn. *Delmore Schwartz*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote