Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Dec 17, 2021, 06:37 AM   #7981
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
Expecting there to be a political agenda behind most such claims. And, if this virus is so damn "special" that is must have been man-made, why is it also found in deer populations along with zoo animals? That sounds like something natural evolution would do.

Currently, the best answer is "we just don't know"... and keep looking, while focusing on developing a more permanent vaccine rather than finding a scapegoat to blame (motivated by racism/nationalism/etc...).
My thought is that it could have leaked from a lab or it could have transmitted from animals to human naturally. However, lab or not, I see it's transmission as inevitable. I don't believe for a second that this was some "gain of function" super virus. If it was being analyzed in a lab, it would have been from a naturally occurring sample. With humans continuing to encroach on animal habitats, this virus would have eventually transmitted to us regardless of the initial circumstances.

People hear "lab" and immediately think lab created, but there have been no information or data provided that would demonstrate that is the case.

However, we, as a species, are great at "othering" people when it comes down to not wanting to accept blame ourselves for being selfish, anti-vaxx, anti-mask, etc. Plus, you are 100% spot on about the political angle - idiot politicians don't want the blame for their anti-science polices that pander to the dumbest common denominator - so find someone/something else to blame so that the jackass masses don't see man behind the curtain telling you not to get vaccinated but also being first in line for themselves/their families to get vaccinated
Pr3tty F1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2021, 07:22 AM   #7982
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Seeing more headlines today about some experts suggesting the lab leak is the most probable cause. Will see if it gains traction this time or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Oh no Im not going there again.
Yeah no, none of us are, we're not doing "batshit" crazy conspiracy theories anymore.

See what I did there?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2021, 07:39 AM   #7983
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 17, 2021, 07:42 AM   #7984
AllexxisF1
F- Insurrectionists

AllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English Channel

Leave it to this bastard virus to bring out its most transmissible variant right during the Christmas holiday.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2021, 07:50 AM   #7985
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
Leave it to this bastard virus to bring out its most transmissible variant right during the Christmas holiday.
Gaia wants us GONE!!

Can't say I blame her.

yoz
Old Dec 17, 2021, 09:33 AM   #7986
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Yeah no, none of us are, we're not doing "batshit" crazy conspiracy theories anymore.

See what I did there?

Follow the batpoop trail!

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2021, 10:48 AM   #7987
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Scheduled my Moderna booster for Dec 27th...
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:02 AM   #7988
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
People hear "lab" and immediately think lab created, but there have been no information or data provided that would demonstrate that is the case.
Apparently that's one of the current claims though. That it's an extraordinary cooincidence that Covid has the furin cleavage site, when the Wuhan lab was experimenting with adding that same feature to other SARS viruses. There's some suggestion that there may have been some genetic alteration, then an accidental outbreak, before the super-spreader event in the nearby market. I guess we'll have to wait and see if more compelling evidence comes out someday.

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:40 AM   #7989
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Scheduled my Moderna booster for Dec 27th...

yoz
Old Dec 18, 2021, 09:43 AM   #7990
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Location: Poland Where the pure lab reseach data show no life can exist
Ziklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Omicron, if really is milder, sounds like good news actually.

A girl I know had all covid symptoms in the middle of the delta wave, but still went to work in the mall, packaging and selling food. Close contact with 100s of people daily, didn't want reduced pay for a week.

My wife works in multiple schools, in one of those, during a conference, a principal openly mocked her (and few others) for wearing a mask, case were 5 digits at the time already and growing.

I know doctors who privately speak against vaccination.

Many people will not vaccinate, care, it's just not threatening enough. So a milder variant completly taking over, and becoming a baseline for further mutations (going for transmisibility at the cost of virulence) might be the only way it ends.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.
Ziklitschli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:23 AM   #7991
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziklitschli View Post
Many people will not vaccinate, care, it's just not threatening enough. So a milder variant completly taking over, and becoming a baseline for further mutations (going for transmisibility at the cost of virulence) might be the only way it ends.
A low-severity & high-transmissibility variant basically works like a vaccine, imo.

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:42 AM   #7992
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Old Dec 18, 2021, 12:14 PM   #7993
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

SD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird singsSD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird singsSD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird singsSD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird singsSD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
A low-severity & high-transmissibility variant basically works like a vaccine, imo.
Let’s hope. We will find out either way very soon.
SD-[Inc] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2021, 12:53 PM   #7994
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

But unlike the vaccine relative low severity and high transmissibility allows for a massive increase in the reservoir of the virus. That poses risks for more vaccine and immune evading variants and a longer pandemic.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Dec 18, 2021, 03:10 PM   #7995
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

SD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird singsSD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird singsSD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird singsSD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird singsSD-[Inc] knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
But unlike the vaccine relative low severity and high transmissibility allows for a massive increase in the reservoir of the virus. That poses risks for more vaccine and immune evading variants and a longer pandemic.
True. But this cycle seems like the only one that will actually end the pandemic. Only when the virus mutates to a more benign state will this thing actually end. We had our chance. But, humanity failed that test.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 04:04 AM   #7996
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

... oh FFS. Mild covid is not ok. It allows for a far great chance of variants and this taking longer to end. Plus COVID long is no joke. You might not die, but suffering for who knows how long is it ok... Losing the plot people.

Also absolutely no reason further variants can't be far more deadly... Wow... Just ****ing wow.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2021, 06:59 AM   #7997
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
... oh FFS. Mild covid is not ok. It allows for a far great chance of variants and this taking longer to end. Plus COVID long is no joke. You might not die, but suffering for who knows how long is it ok... Losing the plot people.

Also absolutely no reason further variants can't be far more deadly... Wow... Just ****ing wow.

yoz
Old Dec 19, 2021, 07:13 AM   #7998
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwards

Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2021, 07:29 AM   #7999
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

It's never going to ****ing end. You don't get that yet?

For any highly contagious disease, you're never stamping it out. The world is too connected today. Deer have it! There's a reservoir that will never be vaccinated, and they don't give a damn about quarantine and masking rules. There will be further variants forever. This dream of stamping it out wholesale was wishful thinking, really... and probably promoted to incentivize people to get vaccinated and give them hope, but in reality, it was never going to happen. Even if the US had 100% vaccination rates it can mutate in other countries, wildlife populations, and be reimported exactly the same as if it was a local mutation.

As was made clear in some early articles about covid, there are only so many ways the latching proteins can mutate and still be functional. Omicron partially sidestepped our vaccines by adopting some cold/flu features (the theory is that someone was dually infected with Covid and the flu at the same time, and the viruses could swap genetic material to try out new strategies.) It appears to have become less deadly as a result.

As far as propagation goes, whichever versions are the most infectious and allow the most spread will become the dominant strain. There is a reason why the original strain has vanished... Alpha and Delta squeezed it out by being more transmissible. and Alphas has prertty much dropped off the radar too. Killing people off quickly harms transmission, which is why a virus that can kill in 24 hours will never be a pandemic concern. Less severe but highly contagious is the evolutionary destiny of this thing. We're getting there, both by building up immunities and by the virus optimizing itself. It's going to take a while though.

To be clear, I'm not advocating ANYONE skipping vaccines for any reason. Reducing death rates is good. Reducing transmissibility is good, not because I think we can make it peter-out, but because it's a huge inconvenience on everyone even if it's mild.

But the reality is that some people will never be vaccinated despite our desires. They've had every opportunity in the first world at this point, so if it hasn't happened it isn't going to. The eventuality that the virus becomes something we can live with is a good thing. Vaccinated people will be better off either way as your body is already prepped for something and less likely to get a long-covid scenario.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire

Last edited by koralis : Dec 19, 2021 at 07:35 AM.
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2021, 08:02 AM   #8000
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

It was never going to go away completely. I don't know why anyone got so attached to that ridiculousness. I've said this from the beginning, check my post history.

Regardless of vaccines, masks, mandates, etc - this was always going to be the end result. The only thing that would change is how many bodies are stacked up on the way.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2021, 08:29 AM   #8001
acroig
Troll SMod

The point has been not to overwhelm the medical care facilities. We have hospitals at capacity mostly due to unvaccinated people. That means that other medical care cannot be given because beds are full of covid patients.

Vid courtesy of andino.

yoz

Last edited by acroig : Dec 19, 2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 08:56 AM   #8002
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

Whatever happened to the notion that mRNA vaccines can easily be adjusted to deal with variants? I haven't heard news about vaccine version 2 at all?
Old Dec 19, 2021, 08:57 AM   #8003
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

FWIW, there seems to have been armies of straw men created in response to the pandemic, and so many bad faith arguments by antivaxxers/antimaskers that I can't count them all. From my perspective, pandemics are novel, so procedures and expectations require constant reevaluation; I never expected it to be "one and done!". When people make snarky remarks about how the vaccines obviously don't work because we now require boosters, I don't take them or their words seriously, because I know they don't come from a place of intellectual honesty or understanding.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 09:45 AM   #8004
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
Whatever happened to the notion that mRNA vaccines can easily be adjusted to deal with variants? I haven't heard news about vaccine version 2 at all?
I could only find a company link which one needs to take with a huge grain of salt but I've heard it reported before elsewhere:

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...micron-variant

First batches of the Omicron-based vaccine can be produced and are planned to be ready for deliveries within 100 days, pending regulatory approval.

I think there's no more reporting done because the booster seems to be effective enough that there's no rush or need for a version 2. Things may change and I'm hoping they are continuing research in case Omicron isn't as mild as people thought. I'd like to see them do it as practice to using this tech for flu shots.
dodger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2021, 09:48 AM   #8005
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

We need to keep developing new and better vaccines. It's not like the first Smallpox vaccine was perfect. Even once they developed the modern and portable Smallpox vaccine, it took 15-20 years to eradicate it. We'll never get rid of Covid. Previous infection might be as good as current vaccines (the data is still out and incomplete), but Omicron doesn't care about your recovery or your double dose if we're just talking about infection. I think we'll find that both prevent serious illness about the same, however there is a huge thing to consider about that statement. I would rather get vaccinated multiple times and then get infected because at least my immune system would have an instruction manual about what to do and what not to. It will notice the intruder sooner.

That said, I return to the need for updated and/or new vaccines. Just throwing antibodies from the original strain at new variants does work, but not as efficiently. It will take more time to have a good grasp on deeper immune response from vaccination, but it seems that at this point, vaccination is doing well at preventing hospitalization. I just wonder for how long without an update.
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows 10 Now!
Drunken Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2021, 09:50 AM   #8006
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
The point has been not to overwhelm the medical care facilities. We have hospitals at capacity mostly due to unvaccinated people. That means that other medical care cannot be given because beds are full of covid patients.

Vid courtesy of andino.
I'm not sure why you're quoting me since, like I said, the vaccines, masks, and mandates were only going to change how many people died - I'm assuming you quoted me on accident. This really has nothing to do, at all, with what I said.

My point is that vaccines, masks or mandates were never going to make COVID go away completely.. Ever. That entire notion was ****ing stupid and only the most naive of individuals thought that was possible. The only way that worked is if you had the vaccine ready in the first 30 days of it becoming widespread.. it took about a year.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2021, 09:54 AM   #8007
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Seen some reports on that and might take till next summer before they are in full production. Its why we need the 3 shots in what we have now. We mandated shots in some key workplaces here and under a month we hit virtually 100% of eligible vaccinated (save those with medical reasons). If they can mandate every workplace the vaccine regime will be over soon.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Dec 19, 2021, 10:30 AM   #8008
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I'm not sure why you're quoting me since, like I said, the vaccines, masks, and mandates were only going to change how many people died - I'm assuming you quoted me on accident. This really has nothing to do, at all, with what I said.

My point is that vaccines, masks or mandates were never going to make COVID go away completely.. Ever. That entire notion was ****ing stupid and only the most naive of individuals thought that was possible. The only way that worked is if you had the vaccine ready in the first 30 days of it becoming widespread.. it took about a year.
That's what happens when I'm replying on my phone in the crapper. ,)

Post edited.

yoz

Last edited by acroig : Dec 19, 2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 11:57 AM   #8009
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Easily yes, but still has to go through a modicum of testing before they can get approval to roll it out and no doubt have to tweak the manufacturing process.

If Omicron was completely ignoring current boosters, the FDA might roll the dice, but at this point it doesn't look like shirking testing is worth the risk.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2021, 05:04 PM   #8010
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

Default First Omicron Science

Quote:
Omicron infects and multiplies 70 times faster than the Delta in human bronchus, which may explain why Omicron may transmit faster. Omicron infection in the lung is significantly lower than the original SARS-CoV-2, which may be an indicator of lower disease severity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84XMFVcLScw