Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 11, 2021, 05:10 AM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Grab a 12700K and a DDR4 motherboard and roll. Prices are honestly extremely fair for the performance.. I would recommend the ASUS Z690 TUF or an MSI. Avoid Gigabyte like the plague.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2021, 06:27 AM   #152
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
The card is dope! Smashes everything I throw at it with max settings including ray tracing and DLSS set to off.

I’m noticing more heat dumped into the room, should be sweet for winter usage.

Would love an Alder Lake setup to gain full potential of the GPU as I’m CPU bottlenecked now.
I feel buying a 12900k would be perfect for your winter needs
Old Dec 11, 2021, 08:39 AM   #153
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I dunno. Alder Lake has excellent performance per watt - my 12700K was rarely hitting 100watts while gaming at 5.1 P/4.1 E @ 1.285v.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 11, 2021, 08:54 AM   #154
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I dunno. Alder Lake has excellent performance per watt - my 12700K was rarely hitting 100watts while gaming at 5.1 P/4.1 E @ 1.285v.
A 12900k teamed up with his GPU he can get more heat for winter ...
Old Dec 11, 2021, 02:53 PM   #155
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

As for the coil whine megaman, I had a gtx680 that was bad. I took it back a few days after purchase and they replaced it at scorptec
Old Dec 11, 2021, 04:53 PM   #156
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

The coil whine ain't that bad, just more noticeable than the 1080 which is how I picked up on it. I actually think it's the PSU. I bet a replacement of that will sort it out. Still confused why Cinebench OpenGL run at 170 FPS I hear absolutely no coil whine what so ever. It's dead silent.

As for the Alder Lake upgrade, that will be one expensive gig. A PSU upgrade will be needed for sure but also a new AIO cooler for 1700 pin as the H150i isn't optimal from what I have read.

The 8700K in BF 2042 128 player servers, is getting a beating.

Last edited by Megaman : Dec 11, 2021 at 04:58 PM.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2021, 04:59 PM   #157
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
What about just upgrading the CPU to a 9700K and maybe a PSU?

Then wait for Meteor Lake and let DDR5 mature?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2021, 05:01 PM   #158
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
What about just upgrading the CPU to a 9700K and maybe a PSU?

Then wait for Meteor Lake and let DDR5 mature?
The latter is what I'm aiming for, with a Windows 11 upgrade too. Who knows, maybe I'll upgrade to Alder Lake a week before Meteor Lake release

Also, using GPU Z render test, 800 FPS, dead silent.....interesting.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 07:08 PM   #159
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Also, using GPU Z render test, 800 FPS, dead silent.....interesting.
Try Kombustor for MSI Afterburner instead

yoz
Old Dec 11, 2021, 10:54 PM   #160
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

The coil whine might be coming due to PSU and in games where both CPU and GPU are working hard. Just a hunch. Throw that Corsair PSU out and you will be happier.

Also you have elite capillex which has a bracket available from Corsair so you don’t need a new AIO especially for 12700K which runs reasonably cool. Also if you go with ASUS TUF you don’t even need the bracket since it has two holes that allow previous coolers to fit as is.

I used to think that I made a mistake going from 8700K to 5900X but now the recent crop of games really do need extra horsepower from CPU. A couple of recent examples are COD V and Halo Infinite. I would argue even Far Cry 6 had more smooth gameplay on my 5900X compared to 10700 setup but that might be the 3070 with 8 GB causing issues. BF 2042 also for sure loves some CPU.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2021, 10:59 PM   #161
Megaman
Packing heat!

I don’t have the elite capillex, I have the first Gen H150i.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 11:27 PM   #162
KAC

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Either way if you get any ASUS board you don’t need to change AIO.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 03:23 AM   #163
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
The coil whine ain't that bad, just more noticeable than the 1080 which is how I picked up on it. I actually think it's the PSU. I bet a replacement of that will sort it out. Still confused why Cinebench OpenGL run at 170 FPS I hear absolutely no coil whine what so ever. It's dead silent.

As for the Alder Lake upgrade, that will be one expensive gig. A PSU upgrade will be needed for sure but also a new AIO cooler for 1700 pin as the H150i isn't optimal from what I have read.

ASUS motherboards have LGA11xx/1200 mounting holes so you don't need to change anything. You lose a little bit of cooling performance due to unoptimized mounting pressure, but it'll work fine.

Corsair RM850i isn't that bad but wouldn't be a bad idea to grab a SuperFlower Leadex 1000w. They're priced extremely competitively - top brand on the market .. they built EVGA PSUs when they were actually good.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 03:42 AM   #164
Megaman
Packing heat!

KAC is mistaking the original Corsair RM series PSUs with my RM850i which had shitty capacitors. The RM 850i has the Jap capacitors so no concerns with an exploding PSU there.

ASUS are the only boards I buy. It's good to know ASUS support the mounting brackets, I had no idea. I zoomed in on a few boards and could see the overlapping mounting holes on them.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 04:11 AM   #165
Megaman
Packing heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
t wouldn't be a bad idea to grab a SuperFlower Leadex 1000w.
Super Flower Leadex Titanium or Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W Power Supply ?
Old Dec 12, 2021, 04:30 AM   #166
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Whichever you want to spend on. All 3 (Gold, Plat, Titanium) are great.

I'd go Titanium. PSUs last a long time, best to get a high quality one with the best efficiency possible.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 06:14 AM   #167
KAC

I have a 1300 W G2 gold from ages ago and it bones. Running 4 3070s off of it. . Best 200$ I spent.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 09:21 PM   #168
Megaman
Packing heat!

For shits and giggles. I honestly don't care for these scores but would like to know where this sits. Is it Average?

Last edited by Megaman : Jan 4, 2022 at 10:22 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 09:36 PM   #169
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
For shits and giggles. I honestly don't are for these scores but would like to know where this sits Average?

'tis coo

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2022, 09:39 PM   #170
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Not sure what happened here but here's my score

There can't be that much of a difference between a 3080 and a 3080 ti can there?

Sittal on BF2142 "wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."

Logical "u dont have to lie to us that u got fired again we dont judge here that your 🌯 weren't up to snuff."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2022, 09:42 PM   #171
Megaman
Packing heat!

CPU bound with that Ryzen

Last edited by Megaman : Jan 4, 2022 at 09:58 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 09:59 PM   #172
Evileh

Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
CPU bound with that Ryzen
Yeah i know right that's sad man, it became obsolete that quick

Sittal on BF2142 "wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."

Logical "u dont have to lie to us that u got fired again we dont judge here that your 🌯 weren't up to snuff."
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:00 PM   #173
Megaman
Packing heat!

Time to upgrade that cpu. You're limiting the performance of that Ti.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:07 PM   #174
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileh View Post
Not sure what happened here but here's my score

There can't be that much of a difference between a 3080 and a 3080 ti can there?
What kind of gay ass shitty bench is this?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:23 PM   #175
Evileh

Quote:
Time to upgrade that cpu. You're limiting the performance of that Ti.
Yeah I plan on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
What kind of gay ass shitty bench is this?
I have no idea what even happened there lol

Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:50 PM   #176
KAC

Seems some program was running in background and why CPU score is low. Even your gay ass Ryzen should do 11K or thereabouts.

Graphics score seems fine and is higher than Megagay.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:33 PM   #177
Evileh

Quote:
Seems some program was running in background and why CPU score is low. Even your gay ass Ryzen should do 11K or thereabouts.

Graphics score seems fine and is higher than Megagay.
No programs running. Processor is running how it should it is matching my old scores withing margin of error. Those numbers are normal 2700x is anywhere from 8300-9000 depending on if you oc it or not or memory timings.

Old Jan 5, 2022, 08:37 AM   #178
acroig
Troll SMod

Guys we do have a benchmark thread in Gen Graphics with lots of benchies to compare with....

Just sayin'

yoz
Old Jan 5, 2022, 09:19 AM   #179
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileh View Post
No programs running. Processor is running how it should it is matching my old scores withing margin of error. Those numbers are normal 2700x is anywhere from 8300-9000 depending on if you oc it or not or memory timings.
That seems like garbage then. Time to dump this junk and get a real man’s processor.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 03:08 PM   #180
Evileh

Quote:
That seems like garbage then. Time to dump this junk and get a real man’s processor.
Im gonna i said once i get tax returns.

Btw, that processor was the top of the line when i bought it in early 19 so shush lol.