Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:51 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post

Merry Xmas
Old Dec 23, 2021, 01:53 AM   #62
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Thanks. It’s all in now. I never want to do that again. All the cables for the RGB have killed me.

Ok so I booted it up, it was finding it hard to get into windows but it does so in safe mode.

Reset BIOS to defaults anyway. System seems to be very slow rebooting even in safe mode. Hoping a format will sort that out

I plan on reinstalling to Win 11.

EDIT: it appears to just be a one off boot.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2021, 02:11 AM   #63
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Temps on idle are maxing at 36 degrees Celsius from cores 6 to 10.

In BF 2042 one core reached 76 degrees and others were high 60s low 70s. My room is hot, I'm in summer here so don't know where that sits, seems pretty good with the new 150i.

Haven't got time to test anything yet, moving to Win 11 now and will reformat hopefully tomorrow.

Need to adjust iCue with the new fans too as they are running slower than what I typically use.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 23, 2021, 02:27 AM   #64
Megaman
Packing heat!

CPU is also peaking at 4.9 Ghz, gotta turn off that intel crap in bios too. If there are any pointers with BIOS config with these cpu, like XMP 2.0? I'll move to that, let me know.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 02:29 AM   #65
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Pics or gtfo
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2021, 02:32 AM   #66
Megaman
Packing heat!

Will do proper pics later after fixing cables and sorting everything out like chip/board updates etc…

Old Dec 23, 2021, 02:34 AM   #67
KAC

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

That case looks cramped af.

Good specs. Put on XMP. Push the Gs to 5.1/5.2 on P and 4.1 on E cores. Push ram to 4000 C16 spec and enjoy this monstrosity.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 02:36 AM   #68
Megaman
Packing heat!

Yes, PC like dope but the sound card is now blocking the fans on the GPU. Thinking of using the onboard sound, don’t know what the difference will be between that.

Last edited by Megaman : Dec 23, 2021 at 02:52 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 02:51 AM   #69
Megaman
Packing heat!

Did one run of Cinebench, highest temp reached was 70 degrees on one core, majority of the cores were at either mid 50s or mid 60s. Pretty sweet.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 03:12 AM   #70
KAC

Do they even put out new drivers for these sound cards. Been on onboard audio for past 14-15 years so don’t really know anymore.

Strix board should be fine with onboard Audio. Do tell us if you feel a real difference.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 03:30 AM   #71
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Old Dec 23, 2021, 07:50 AM   #72
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Impressive, most Impressive...

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2021, 08:32 PM   #73
Megaman
Packing heat!

Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:19 PM   #74
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Very nice bud, happy you got a kick ass rig...finally.

yoz
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:23 PM   #75
Megaman
Packing heat!

Cheers bro!
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:39 PM   #76
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Cheers bro!
Cheers and Merry Christmas.

yoz
Old Dec 24, 2021, 01:09 AM   #77
KAC

How far you clock this putter?
Old Dec 24, 2021, 01:11 AM   #78
Megaman
Packing heat!

I haven’t, I’m out. Just finished a clean install on Win 11. Will give it a crack next.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 01:11 AM   #79
Megaman
Packing heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Cheers and Merry Christmas.
You too mate.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 01:39 AM   #80
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Enjoy your new rig
Old Dec 27, 2021, 12:21 AM   #81
Megaman
Packing heat!

I have removed the sound card so now I'm defaulting to some ROG ASUS app called Sonic Studio. Is there another app I can use to adjust sound from the onboard sound?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 12:45 AM   #82
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

You might be able to use Realtek software.

I found Sonic Studio didn't sound right until I selected Gaming>Smart volume>Extreme. And a little bit of base boost.

Then in Advanced tab, set each game to 'gaming profile'.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 12:47 AM   #83
Megaman
Packing heat!

Yeah that’s what I did too.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 01:49 AM   #84
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Onboard audio.. ew
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2021, 02:02 AM   #85
Megaman
Packing heat!

Either that or probably another 5 degrees added to the 3080 due to close proximity to the card.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 02:27 AM   #86
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

5 degrees is one boost clock bin... I wouldn't be too worried about it. Unless you're already running at 75c
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jan 16, 2022, 04:50 AM   #87
Megaman
Packing heat!

Ok so I found some time to do some research (and play games, currently testing this system with XMP off to see if I run into problems) many people are coming across BSOds and black screens , games crashing etc with XMP and DDR4.

As mentioned last time my memory is not in the QVL list for this strix board. Looking at the g skill website it also shows these sticks are not on the QVL list for the strix board.

https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/166/1...14D-16GTZR-Qvl

Is this likely to be implemented with a newer BIOS or have I simply gone with a board that won’t support these sticks at their full speeds? I’m surprised these are not on the QVL but the 3600mhz sticks and others, are.

Personally, I’d rather the board manage my voltages with the sticks rather than me playing around with them.

Last edited by Megaman : Jan 16, 2022 at 05:08 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 05:27 AM   #88
KAC

It seems most G Skill kits are not supported by DDR4 boards.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 08:12 AM   #89
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Most people are having to manually tweak to get their sticks running. It's a symptom of the new memory controller and the death of Ring Bus.

IMO, just play with the voltages. You don't need to run stress tests as we know the memory is stable, so you just test it with games. From what you've said, it's the IMC acting up, and the IMC on the 12700K seems to be quite weak compared to the 12900K - just poor binned memory controllers it seems.

I would set your DRAM voltage to 1.36v (because some of the boards are undervolting just a hair, so with 1.36 you'll get 1.35 effective), and then start messing with the CPU System Agent voltage. I suggest trying 1.25v. This is a very safe voltage, no need to worry, and you won't see a difference in temps or power. You can go up to 1.4v for 24/7 daily, but I can't imagine 3200CL14 2x16gb sticks requiring more than 1.3v MAX even on the worst binned IMC.

If the SA voltage alone does not correct the issue, then it's time to look at the CPU itself - set voltage mode to Offset, and then give it a +050 or +100mv offset and see if that helps.

You moved to a very new architecture, on a new platform, on the bleeding edge of hardware -- there will be growing pains, and this is one of them. If you aren't willing to tweak manually, then I'm not sure buying the newest hardware on the market is a particularly good idea. I'm not saying you're incapable or that you're complaining yourself, but I've seen a lot of people bitchng and throwing tirades about XMP not working correctly or crashing, and then blaming Intel or ASUS or GSkill etc - in my opinion that's just not logical. I can't run XMP on my 4000CL16 sticks, I had to manually tweak to get 3866 stable as 4000 is too much for the crap IMC on my 12700K. I will try again when I get back now that BIOS' are far more stable, but yeah.

What BIOS is your board on? When I got my TUF, the stock BIOS was atrocious and nothing worked. The second I flashed to the first beta BIOS, things were vastly better. I can send you links to the most up-to-date BIOS, beyond what is listed on the ASUS website. I get them from Shamino, one of the main BIOS writers for ASUS.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 01:00 PM   #90
Megaman
Packing heat!

EDIT: for clarity, I’m running 2x8GB sticks not 2X16GB.

I’m on the latest, 0901 from the ASUS site.

I hear ya on the initial BIOS releases. Many couldn’t boot into windows and were getting BSODs, black screens, fail to post etc…

If I have to bump voltages to get things working than I’ll do that. Otherwise I can enable XMP and reduce the RAM speeds if **** doesn’t go well. Ideally I’d like to run the full speed so hopefully a small SA/DRAM voltage bump is all it needs.

Yeah send me a link to those BIOs I may have a play around.

Last edited by Megaman : Jan 17, 2022 at 12:28 AM.