Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:04 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default AMD at CES

AMD just did its presentation and showed some cool laptop cpus... They showed also the desktop 5800x3d thats 15% faster than the 5800. Pretty much what was expected but only that one sku as seems AM5 is closer than we thought because they said AM5 is '2nd half 2022' so anytime after July. Cool thing tho is AM5 Ryzen 7000 can run 5 ghz all core already in the lab.

No navi3 info tho. I think 5nm is booked to the hilt.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:28 AM   #2
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Cool thing tho is AM5 Ryzen 7000 can run 5 ghz all core already in the lab.
Nice!!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:36 AM   #3
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

-Radeon 6500XT for $200 US. Not sure what the performance level of this is, Seems like the specs are half of a 6600XT
-Ryzen 6000 series mobile APU, Zen3+ CPU + 12 RDNA2 CU's
-Ryzen 5800X3d (with vcache), seems like the last AM4 CPU (+15% increase over 5900X) spring 2022
-Ryzen 7000 CPUs, Zen4 and new socket AM5 (LGA1718) second half of 2022
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:38 AM   #4
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
-Ryzen 5800X3d (with vcache), seems like the last AM4 CPU (+15% increase over 5900X) spring 2022
Is that confirmed for socket AM4?

yoz
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:43 AM   #5
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Is that confirmed for socket AM4?
Yes but there is a speed degradation at 3.7 to 4.5 ghz max vs 3.8-4.7 ghz on the 5800x. Still they get that 15% after shaving 200 mhz so cache matters and Im sure they will have 3d cache on the ryzen 7000.

Probably one of the reasons why they didnt launch the 5900x3d tho.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:15 PM   #6
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Nvidias presentation was meh, 3050 low end and 3090ti... but Intel's 12900KS at 5.5GHZ single core and 5.2 allcore was pretty impressive.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:51 PM   #7
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Intel's 12900KS at 5.5GHZ single core and 5.2 allcore was pretty impressive.
Agreed!

yoz
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:55 PM   #8
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Yeah I'm kind of guessing here, but maybe the reason they didn't announce more like the 5800X 3D is lack of production capacity. I'm kinda hoping other 3D variants trickle out later as capacity frees up, but we may be well into AM5 by then so it may not happen.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2022, 01:35 PM   #9
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Nvidias presentation was meh, 3050 low end and 3090ti... but Intel's 12900KS at 5.5GHZ single core and 5.2 allcore was pretty impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Agreed!
you know the 12900KS is going to draw more then the 12900K
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/i...th-gen/20.html

with a 4090 & 12900KS your going to need two PSU s
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2022, 02:04 PM   #10
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

yoz
Old Jan 4, 2022, 03:54 PM   #11
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Yeah I'm kind of guessing here, but maybe the reason they didn't announce more like the 5800X 3D is lack of production capacity. I'm kinda hoping other 3D variants trickle out later as capacity frees up, but we may be well into AM5 by then so it may not happen.
Feels like the swan song for am4 for gamers only. That tells me AM5 is 3 to 6 months after so it has me wanting to wait. Hope DDR5 situation is better by then.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jan 4, 2022, 08:31 PM   #12
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Feels like the swan song for am4 for gamers only. That tells me AM5 is 3 to 6 months after so it has me wanting to wait. Hope DDR5 situation is better by then.
i need to upgrade my 1900x soon but wanted a 5900X3D 12 core

then upgrade my 3800x with AM5
Old Jan 4, 2022, 09:10 PM   #13
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
i need to upgrade my 1900x soon but wanted a 5900X3D 12 core

then upgrade my 3800x with AM5
Ya my 1700x is way long in the tooth... Its going to htpc soon. But I also wanted to upgrade that to a 5800x or the 3d one. I just cant justify a mobo for the last gen cpu.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:14 PM   #14
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Spring is too late. May wait till AM5 and buy it end of 2022. I am in no hurry.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2022, 01:11 AM   #15
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

5800x3d? Are going back to the 90s and early 2000s silly naming scheme?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 01:13 AM   #16
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Barely wins 3 and ties 3.. and the 3 that "tied" were the CPU limited benches. It's just crap marketing slides and don't mean anything, but showing 3 ties isn't exactly what I'd call high faith in your product.

Quote:

The 12900K is a power-hog in cinebench and P95, but in actual gaming it's actually really efficient - more efficient than my 10900K.

They are idling at 86watts because they made the chip do that - it means they turned off dynamic ratio and turned off the C-States for the chip. My 12700K idles at 10-12watts with C-States limited to C3 (no core goes to sleep). At 5.1 P cores with E cores at 4.1, I only pull 230watts in CB23. You can make any chip pull stupid power numbers if you smash the voltage up lol

As for this 3d cache .. I'm curious how the cache is going to affect cooling. They had to build a strong supporting die and although it didn't increase the Z-height, I don't see how they could have done this without affecting thermal dissipation. Very curious to see a tear down of the chip compared to non 3d cache
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Last edited by Nunz : Jan 5, 2022 at 01:24 AM.
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2022, 01:58 AM   #17
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

we should know in a month or two how the 3d cache will do

but i'll have it under water so it should be fine

i will need a new block as i'm sure the solid copper bar it got on the threadripper won't work

and may not any of the current am4 waterblocks without new mounting as it maybe a taller chip
Old Jan 5, 2022, 02:11 AM   #18
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I'd hate to clean thermal paste off the new AM5 processors.

Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2022, 02:15 AM   #19
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
My 12700K idles at 10-12watts

I have had my cpu idle using only 9.005 watts. There....I can finally say I have better scores in something in this damn forum.

Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2022, 02:17 AM   #20
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post

Still a better story than cleaning a GPU
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2022, 02:26 AM   #21
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
we should know in a month or two how the 3d cache will do

but i'll have it under water so it should be fine

i will need a new block as i'm sure the solid copper bar it got on the threadripper won't work

and may not any of the current am4 waterblocks without new mounting as it maybe a taller chip
The issue with the cache+die changes is that your cooling doesn't matter - the limitation becomes the ability of the IHS to transfer the heat to your cold-plate. That's why the 5000 series will still hit 80c even with a custom loop. The thermal density is high and thermal transfer is the limiting factor.

The stacked cache and shaved die will only make that worse, unless they came up with some new method, but everything I've read says they know that the thermal transfer capabilities will be worse - hence the reduced core speeds.

They've said the chip height is not changing, so all AM4 blocks will work. That's the "Z-Height" that was referred to.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jan 5, 2022, 03:02 AM   #22
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Barely wins 3 and ties 3.. and the 3 that "tied" were the CPU limited benches. It's just crap marketing slides and don't mean anything, but showing 3 ties isn't exactly what I'd call high faith in your product.
Bit weird. Never seen a marketing slide with so many 'ties'

That said, there will be plenty of games that do benefit from the extra cache and those that don't.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 03:33 AM   #23
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Bit weird. Never seen a marketing slide with so many 'ties'

That said, there will be plenty of games that do benefit from the extra cache and those that don't.
games will likely need to be coded alittle different for 3d cache or a patch

new games after release maybe better
Old Jan 5, 2022, 03:39 AM   #24
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post

would be interesting if they can socket a water block over that tall odd shape IHS
Old Jan 5, 2022, 03:54 AM   #25
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
games will likely need to be coded alittle different for 3d cache or a patch

new games after release maybe better
The cache is no different from the cache already existing on the chip - the only thing new is the way they placed the cache. Software doesn't see anything different.

Adding cache is not a 1:1 performance increase. I said it a while ago, that 15% is generous and likely will not be that number in gaming applications. You'll see more boost in workstation loads and synthetic benchmarks, though.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 07:36 AM   #26
pax
Rage3D Spammer

They were talking about putting in cooling layers in 3d stacked chips. One model was using empty silicon thats used to help dissipate the heat and another fancier model had actual liquid cycling between the layers... I wonder if they skipped it this time for this one off 7nm cpu and achieved their temp goals with the slight clock drops.

All those gaps in the IHS of the am5 model might be for some cooling system...

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jan 5, 2022, 10:01 AM   #27
Nunz
RIP Roxen

The more layers mean the worse the thermal transfer. The empty silicon would just make already poor thermal transfer a larger issue - direct-die is king for that very reason. I'm no engineer, but it makes sense to me. You want to be as close to the heat source as possible, and extra layers are pulling you further away from the heat source. I would not want a liquid layer in the silicon itself unless it was part of a connected system that interacted directly with that liquid.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 10:34 AM   #28
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

There was some talk about in die liquid cooling for the last few years that was gaining traction. The chips would have channels in place for a liquid to cool the hottest parts of the CPU in the die and then that liquid would be sent to the IHS for cooling. It cycled from heat alone so there was no need for a mechanical pump in die. Pretty sure that they were contemplating using that tech in the near future.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...water-cooling/

https://www.extremetech.com/computin...rmance-silicon

With AMD going to multiple layers it would be easier for them to put that kind of cooling system in place.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote