Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Default Goldman-Sachs now values Facebook at 50G$ USD

MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:47 PM   #2
KAC
Whatever

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

lol Gold Sacks...
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:14 AM   #3
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

So we are counting in gigadollars now?
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:45 AM   #4
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Wait two years... it'll be forgotten once people A) get bored and B) it becomes the site "old people" use.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:19 AM   #5
mbeeston
Azure Tenebrae

mbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJMasta View Post
So we are counting in gigadollars now?
what happened to mega bucks?
"Intelligence has nothing to do with politics." - ambassador muwlari
" when somethings weird and it don't look good, who do you think it is? GHOST NAPPA"
mbeeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:12 AM   #6
chigger_ns
Do the Xmas Cart-moon

chigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultychigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultychigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Goldman-Sachs ruined America
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:23 AM   #7
cmar
Radeon Sea Islands

cmar is still being judged by the masses

Didn't we learn anything from the last .Com boom / bust.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:55 AM   #8
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmar View Post
Didn't we learn anything from the last .Com boom / bust.
Actually, we did.

Facebook is valued at that because of the information they hold, much like Google is worth so much because of their data mining. Facebook, on many levels, knows more about you than Google does. That information is worth a crapload of money to investors. And as they have this information on all age ranges, across the world...yea. Boatload of money in information these days.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:52 AM   #9
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
Wait two years... it'll be forgotten once people A) get bored and B) it becomes the site "old people" use.
I dont see that happening in the nearest future.

Almost everyone is on facebook, and everything is connected to facebook.
Its like the internet being extinct in 2 years...

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:04 AM   #10
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

Goldman-Sachs also once valued Goldman-Sachs at billions of dollars. **** them.
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:05 AM   #11
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigger_ns View Post
Goldman-Sachs ruined America
Ummm... No...
Desktop - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:07 AM   #12
Sundance Kid V2
Your daddy!

Sundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
Actually, we did.

Facebook is valued at that because of the information they hold, much like Google is worth so much because of their data mining. Facebook, on many levels, knows more about you than Google does. That information is worth a crapload of money to investors. And as they have this information on all age ranges, across the world...yea. Boatload of money in information these days.
That is the truth... they know EVERYTHING...(and that is worth $$$)
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:16 AM   #13
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance Kid V2 View Post
That is the truth... they know EVERYTHING...(and that is worth $$$)
I do not have, now or ever, an account there and don't ever plan to if I can help it. So they know SOMETHING about me perhaps but not EVERYTHING.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:32 AM   #14
lunat!c#

lunat!c# is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597
Boatload of money in information these days.
Which is funny, because they cannot use it. Laws over here state that it's illegal to use that information for anything. Well, research wise.. go ahead, no one cares. But once they approach you, lawsuit!
lunat!c# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:23 AM   #15
Sundance Kid V2
Your daddy!

Sundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post
I do not have, now or ever, an account there and don't ever plan to if I can help it. So they know SOMETHING about me perhaps but not EVERYTHING.
I don't have ANY social accounts.. nutting!!

They can kiss my brown zeus ring!!

Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:24 AM   #16
Sundance Kid V2
Your daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunat!c# View Post
Which is funny, because they cannot use it. Laws over here state that it's illegal to use that information for anything. Well, research wise.. go ahead, no one cares. But once they approach you, lawsuit!
But I think it's linked to marketing stuff.. like 99% 18 year olds Justin Bierber supporters are gay and have a need for pink underpants....
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:09 PM   #17
Sharkfood
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Sharkfood is still being judged by the masses

Best part of the article:
Quote:
"The company has yet to disclose whether it has made a profit."
I mean, hey, it might be worth $50 billion, but it takes a loss quarterly..

Don't spread my wealth, spread my work ethic.
3/21/2010 - R.I.P. Freedom, Democracy, America
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:44 PM   #18
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I dont see that happening in the nearest future.

Almost everyone is on facebook, and everything is connected to facebook.
Its like the internet being extinct in 2 years...
It doesn't have to go away for people to lose interest and businesses to realize Facebook pages do nothing for them. Myspace is still around but it's lost it's cool... but its users are still "there" just never using it much. Same will happen to FB.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:57 PM   #19
hordaktheman
Radeon Caribbean Islands

hordaktheman is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post
My sister made me an account there for contact info means. I haven't put up a single post or picture since then but there's probably more info about me on Facebook than Google could dig up in a decade. Some of it's even a bit embarrassing like drunk-singing-karaoke videos and party pictures that I never would have wanted online in the first place.

It's not that I particularly care about any of that but I still find it an immensely scary thought.
hordaktheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:00 PM   #20
hordaktheman
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
It doesn't have to go away for people to lose interest and businesses to realize Facebook pages do nothing for them. Myspace is still around but it's lost it's cool... but its users are still "there" just never using it much. Same will happen to FB.
Facebook has long since passed the threshold of being cool or not. It's stopped being a mere novelty and become a tool that people are as dependent on as their computers or cars.

Edit: And, unlike MySpace, Facebook is actually a functional tool. MySpace lost its followers by being an absolutely atrocious webpage and not because it lost its cool.

Last edited by hordaktheman : Jan 14, 2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:45 PM   #21
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hordaktheman View Post
Facebook has long since passed the threshold of being cool or not. It's stopped being a mere novelty and become a tool that people are as dependent on as their computers or cars.

I'll tell you what. You give up your computer and your car, and I'll give up Facebook. Not that I use Facebook, but yea what you said is really stupid.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:25 AM   #22
hordaktheman
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet View Post

I'll tell you what. You give up your computer and your car, and I'll give up Facebook. Not that I use Facebook, but yea what you said is really stupid.
I don't think you fully get just how big Facebook is. This isn't just a number of 15 year olds that are using it and in some countries it's over half of the entire population. In my own country (Iceland) it's over 60%, in Norway it's over 50%, and Canada just under that. The US, UK, Denmark, and Sweden are all hovering in the 45% range as well.

And it's not just a matter of numbers but demographics as well. The people I know in the 40-60 year old range that don't have a Faceboook account are the exception rather than the rule. Those people aren't going to stop using Facebook because it 'stopped being cool' when they're already using it on a daily basis to interact with other adults.

I mean, hell, it's already replaced e-mail for countless people because it's easier than keeping an address book. MySpace never even came close to that.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:19 AM   #23
Renocide
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Renocide is still being judged by the masses

What I don't get is how they make money. I have never even clicked on a ad in Facebook much less bought something I saw on a ad in Facebook and I have never heard of anyone spending money in connection to anything on Facebook.

I understand advertizers are buying that space but when nothing is purchased and they see no return on that advertizing aren't they going to pull that money? I don't see how they plan on making money.

Same thing with YouTube...
Renocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:54 AM   #24
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renocide View Post

I understand advertizers are buying that space but when nothing is purchased and they see no return on that advertizing aren't they going to pull that money? I don't see how they plan on making money.

Same thing with YouTube...
that question applies to advertising in general doesn't it? when some company pays for a tv ad, how do they know that the money they spent is getting more people to buy their product? or a print ad? or a billboard? what makes an internet ad any different from other forms of advertising? in the end, they spend money to get their ad in front of the most people possible and then hope that it affects their buying decisions. and facebook can get ads in front of a lot of people.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:33 PM   #25
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Seems like Marketwatch has a new Facebook-related article every week. Some are saying that if it goes public, its IPO will generate $200B by the end of the 2012. Others are says just like AOL, it will reach a critical mass and then self-destruct, to be replaced by something else.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:02 PM   #26
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet View Post

like hordaktheman said... I dont really think you know how big fb actually is and is used.

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:43 PM   #27
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeeston View Post
what happened to mega bucks?
That's so 90's.
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:52 PM   #28
wrex
Radeon R700

wrex is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bires View Post
Seems like Marketwatch has a new Facebook-related article every week. Some are saying that if it goes public, its IPO will generate $200B by the end of the 2012. Others are says just like AOL, it will reach a critical mass and then self-destruct, to be replaced by something else.
There's always something new to enslave....I mean draw people's attention.
wrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:26 PM   #29
Auric
Bananad

Auric is still being judged by the masses

I thought about joining The Face Book but I've already put so much time into my GeoCities home page.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:59 PM   #30
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auric View Post
I thought about joining The Face Book but I've already put so much time into my GeoCities home page.
wow, I remember Geocities. That was like 1999 or 2000 or something.
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote