Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Aug 23, 2003, 12:29 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SFI
Radeon R200

SFI is still being judged by the masses

Default ATI USERS ONLY: Control Panel Settings or In-game settings?

*repost* i post now in the correct forum topic area

i was just wondering, when playing games, do you guys turn down the bars to high eprformance in the ati control panel and just up the detail settings in the games themselves when playing? or the other way around? i am not talking about AA or AF, just the other things like texture preference and mipmap detail. What gives best performance without a noticeable drop in quality? screenshots of your settings in your control panels would be appreciated, opinions too thanks.
| P4 3.0C GHZ @ 3.2 GHZ, Stock Voltage, 215 MHZ FBS, 816 MHZ Bus Speed | 1 GB TwinX Corsair PC3700 DDR Ram (512x2), 3-4-4-8-8, 2.75 Volts | Asus P4P800 Deluxe Board | Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro @ 421/724, 1.75 Volts | Hercules Fortisimo III 7.1 Sound Card | Two 36.6 GB Western Digital Hard Drives @ 10,000 RPM on Raid0 Array | Thermaltake Purepower 420 Watt PSU| Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2 | Sony Dru-510A DVD+/- RW Burner | Acer 16x DVD-Rom | Chenming XPider Case |
SFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 01:52 AM   #2
SFI
Radeon R200

SFI is still being judged by the masses

bump please respond
| P4 3.0C GHZ @ 3.2 GHZ, Stock Voltage, 215 MHZ FBS, 816 MHZ Bus Speed | 1 GB TwinX Corsair PC3700 DDR Ram (512x2), 3-4-4-8-8, 2.75 Volts | Asus P4P800 Deluxe Board | Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro @ 421/724, 1.75 Volts | Hercules Fortisimo III 7.1 Sound Card | Two 36.6 GB Western Digital Hard Drives @ 10,000 RPM on Raid0 Array | Thermaltake Purepower 420 Watt PSU| Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2 | Sony Dru-510A DVD+/- RW Burner | Acer 16x DVD-Rom | Chenming XPider Case |
SFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 02:03 AM   #3
jonmcc33
Banned

jonmcc33 is still being judged by the masses

jonmcc33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 23, 2003, 03:29 AM   #4
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled withTrunks0 is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

I personally leave the texture setting at highest quallity and Mipmap at high and that gives me good performance from what I have found in all my games

In game settings I adjust accordingly if needed and if it I REALLY REALLY need the performance I drop the ATI control panel settings to high performance for both the texture and mipmap settings

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 08:13 AM   #5
kakarot
Radeon Caribbean Islands

kakarot is still being judged by the masses

With your setup you best be putting everything on Max, in the control panel and in game I haven't found a game the 9800 can't play like that
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 08:41 AM   #6
friskyolive
Looking down on you!

friskyolive is still being judged by the masses

I play all my games in with max mip map and texture preferences and 4xaa 16x qaulity af.

[CPU]: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM [MOBO]: ASUS M4A78T-E ATX 790GX Socket AM3 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI Video Sound GBLAN Motherboard[GPU]: Powercolor Radeon HD 5770 In Crossfire [SOUND]: Corsair Gaming Audio Series CA-HS1A Headset 50MM Drivers Circumaural Earcups and the Creative Sound Blaster X-FI TITANIUM Fatality PRO with Yamaha 5590 Receiver[MEMORY]: OCZ (OCZ3G1600LV4GK) DDR3 1600MHz Gold Edition Low Voltage 4GB (2x2048MB) Dual Channel and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB [MONITOR]: DELL U2410, 24W, OPT/FPWS,CUS [HD]: Western Digital 320GB and 1 TB Black Edition [Optical Drives]: LG GSA-4167B Dual Layer DVD±R/RW Drive [PSU]: Corsair HX 1000 watt [OS]: Win7 64-bit Professional On a Antec 1200 Full Tower Case.
friskyolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 09:49 AM   #7
{D0om}DEATH
Radeon R600

{D0om}DEATH is still being judged by the masses

i set my settings in the control panel usualy have max detail on the in game settings.

OpenGL:
2X AA
16x AF
Texture: Highest Quality
Mipmap: Highest Quality

D3D
2x AA
16x AF
Texture: Highest Quality
Mipmap: Highest Quality
{D0om}DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 09:51 AM   #8
Raysusan
Rage3D Veteran

Raysusan is still being judged by the masses

i just leave it at default
Raysusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 11:27 AM   #9
Pikachuman
Radeon R520

Pikachuman is still being judged by the masses

I keep the texture/mip map level at high quality. I vary the rest depending on the game.
Pikachuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 01:49 PM   #10
TheManko
Radeon R300

TheManko is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by jonmcc33

DON'T PLAY WITH THOSE SETTINGS!!!! If you do the textures will be resized to a smaller resolution! I just tried out Bloodrayne with those settings for the first time and it took me about 2 secs to see the diffrence.
TheManko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 01:58 PM   #11
solofly

I play all my games as such...

1280x1024x32
AA @ 4X
AF @ Application Preference

Texture Preference all the way to the right and same with Mipmap Detail Level.

In games I MAX everything as well. I set it and forget it...
Old Aug 23, 2003, 02:07 PM   #12
The_KELRaTH

The_KELRaTH is still being judged by the masses

I just leave my settings at:
x4AA x8AF Perf
Max Texture and Mipmap
Vsync On

If there was a Per game settings option in the drivers as with Mac users I'd probably be more picky - hell if there was a key to adjust on the fly while iingame I'd probably alter per map!
The_KELRaTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 09:52 PM   #13
PamG
Radeon R600

PamG is still being judged by the masses

I use something I read in Maximum PC.
Set AF to 8X and then enable application preference.
This allows the game, well the newer games, to pick what it needs to enhance texture with a minimal framerate hit.
I have Vsynch on and mip map and texture are set for quality.
AA is custom and is at 4X though it really depends on how the game responds. I won't take it higher but I will set it lower.
PamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 09:56 PM   #14
jonmcc33
Banned

jonmcc33 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by TheManko
DON'T PLAY WITH THOSE SETTINGS!!!! If you do the textures will be resized to a smaller resolution! I just tried out Bloodrayne with those settings for the first time and it took me about 2 secs to see the diffrence.
LOL! Considering Bloodrayne isn't even out yet for the PC (September 9th) that's a real freakin' laugher.

Unless you're talking about the demo, but perhaps you should state that. I didn't notice any problems at all with the demo. I play ALL of my games at those settings and never have issues.

Whatever floats your boat (as obvious throughout this thread) but don't yell that I shouldn't play with these settings. I've used them for over a year now with my Radeon 9700 Pro.
jonmcc33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2003, 05:55 AM   #15
Hanners
Zetsubou Sensei

Hanners is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
LOL! Considering Bloodrayne isn't even out yet for the PC (September 9th) that's a real freakin' laugher.
Err... I've had the full game of BloodRayne for several months now.

I'm really not sure why you'd want the texture/mipmap sliders at high performance - It does give a reasonable speed boost but also looks reasonably ugly.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 07:42 AM   #16
Shark
Pain

Shark is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanners
Err... I've had the full game of BloodRayne for several months now.
the game has not been released yet in the U.S
Old Aug 24, 2003, 09:00 AM   #17
Hanners
Zetsubou Sensei

Hanners is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Shark
Ahh, okay... Well, it's been out for some time in the UK, and no doubt elsewhere, which explains it all.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 11:00 AM   #18
Star_Hunter
Radeon R300

Star_Hunter is still being judged by the masses

UK most of the time has a game after the us....guess not in this case
Windows XP Pro SP2
Mushkin Pc2100 1GB @ 2.5-3-3-6
Audigy 2 ZS
Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro @ 531/560
Star_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2003, 10:26 PM   #19
Vengeance
May 2, 1965 - April 21, 2008

Vengeance is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Shark
I bought mine in the US! Fry's Outpost.com has the euro version
This game has been out for about a year on the PC overseas, PS2/XBox/CG and the Mac here in the states.
I wonder why its taking so long to release it for the PC here?
And the euro version works fine in my PC
2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 @ 800mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA2
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW
COOLER MASTER Stacker Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower
Westinghouse 22in wide screen LCD @ 1680x1050

Report a bug with the NVIDIA graphics driver.

Last edited by Vengeance : Aug 25, 2003 at 02:33 AM.
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 01:06 AM   #20
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Here's my settings

(my Direct3d settings are virtually identical)

BTW, I have had Bloodrayne for quite some time now also. If I need better performance I adjust the resolution of my games, I don't lower the quality in the control panel.
Clockwork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 01:09 AM   #21
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

Whatever floats your boat (as obvious throughout this thread) but don't yell that I shouldn't play with these settings. I've used them for over a year now with my Radeon 9700 Pro.
What I think people are saying is that those settings significantly lower IQ. You're not even using the potential of your graphics card doing that. You might as well have an older ATI card (or nVidia based product)...
Clockwork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 02:11 AM   #22
Pe-Te
WoW Addict

Pe-Te is still being judged by the masses

On games that let you set Aniso, you should use the game option and leave the control panel to "application prefrence". Thats the only way to get FULL trilinear filtering in UT2k3.. Forced QAF gives the tri+bilinear hybrid.

Just use RadLinker to set those settings for every game so you wont have to constantly change them. My "normal" settings are Forced 6xAA+16QAF [ on games that dont support aniso setting IN GAME ], highest quality + vsync allways off, trueform application prefrence.

So to answer the ORIGINAL question : IN GAME SETTINGS.

Pe-Te
Pe-Te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 03:48 AM   #23
TheMonkeyBoyz
Banned

TheMonkeyBoyz is still being judged by the masses

For BOTH OpenGL and D3D, I have it set to the following:

Texture Preference: HIGH QUALITY
Mipmap Detail Level: HIGH QUALITY
TRUEFORM(tm): ALWAYS OFF

I usually set AA and Aniso to APPLICATION PREFERENCE

I have VSYNC = ALWAYS ON unless I get stuttering, then turn it to ALWAYS OFF so I don't have to worry about triple buffering issues, etc.
TheMonkeyBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 03:52 AM   #24
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Raysusan
i just leave it at default
I think I might start doing this also.I noticed on allot of new demos like Breed,Tron 2.0,Midnight Club2 and others all have an option to enable AF and AA settings now.But i still will force vsync on to get that baby back console smoothness!!
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 07:46 AM   #25
Animotion
O_o

Animotion is still being judged by the masses

90% Of games i run at 4 aa 16 af full detail

10% i run at 2 aa 16 af both these options give perfectly playable framerates for me.

Animotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 02:02 PM   #26
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The fps differents for the game I played, when running between quality and performance, is very small. I don't think it is worth it to set the details to performance.

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
"It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote