Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
NEODARK
Radeon Sea Islands

NEODARK is still being judged by the masses

Default Anyone familiar with Melbourne, FL?

Looks like my current job could be taking me new places. Geezer land of them all... Anyone around Melbourne, FL?

Got any suggestions for places around the area, wanna hang out some time?? Ah well, time will tell... I hate moving, but I guess moving to the beach isn't that bad. I'll miss VA, but... This should be a fun new place, who knows.

The actual move is probably happening in the next couple of months, need to make living arrangements, re-negotiate salary, etc... My choices could also take me to Katy, Texas.... But, we'll see as that would be a completely new company.

In either scenario I have to move as technology related stuff isn't readily available around my current area.

Fun, eh?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Langsuyar
Radeon R600

Langsuyar is still being judged by the masses

I grew up in Melbourne. I know more about the northern parts of the city (Suntree and Viera) than the older parts though. Meg O'Malleys is a pretty cool place though in downtown if you're into live bands and Irish bars.
Forever I'll remain
Langsuyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:06 PM   #3
KAC
Whatever

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

There is a Melbourne in US of A?

KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:00 PM   #4
Sundance Kid V2
Your daddy!

Sundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
There is a Melbourne in US of A?

Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:30 PM   #5
AllexxisF1
F- Insurrectionists

AllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English Channel

I left Northern Virginia about six years ago Mate for Palm City Florida. Florida is loads different.

Some good, some bad.

The good:
Florida is all about putting the hustle and bustle of work on the back burner. When the clock hits 4:59 P.M. everyone is out of the office so fast you can see tumble weeds in the hallway.

Everyone lives at the beach the bars and its one giant stress reliever.

Houses are way cheaper than in Northern Va.

The bad:
Hicks and really flat job market.

If you can land a great job with good money you will enjoy it here.

Last edited by AllexxisF1 : Jun 23, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Jandar
Old Skool Hero

Jandar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJandar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Native Floridian,

Hate the beach due to the new residents and tourists.
Most beaches in FL suck now. They are nothing like they were 20 years ago.

Melbourne is a nice little city, but is about to lose more people when NASA starts losing more work, but it will survive.

I'd rather go play in a natural spring and enjoy real Florida.

Property near the beach is overpriced, find something inland a little and save.
Remember, there is more to Florida than old people and beaches.
Jandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:13 PM   #7
NEODARK
Radeon Sea Islands

Thanks for the heads up... Been in melbourne twice, so I kinda know what to expect. My girl is much more excited than me about this whole thing. Not sure why the beach is soooooo cool to her.

I did notice the let's work as little as possible culture when I was there (at leas from some). Not sure we are buying a house for a while, so we need to look for rental properties (Apartments if I cant find houses in the price range).

Choices so far are palm bay, satellite beach or just stay in melbourne. Not sure yet... Time will tell. Thanks for the insight.

Last edited by NEODARK : Jun 22, 2010 at 08:21 PM.
NEODARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:29 AM   #8
Langsuyar
Radeon R600

Satellite beach is pretty nice. Worst high school mascot ever though. That general area (Palm Bay, Melbourne, Rockledge, and their conference which includes Belle Glades which is way south though) is a pro factory for the NFL, which makes it pretty interesting for high school football if you're into that thing.
Forever I'll remain
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:18 PM   #9
Jay20016

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'm actually from Palm Bay myself, though I moved over here to Orlando for school and haven't left 6 years later.

Of the areas you've mentioned, Satellite Beach is going to be across the Indian River and actually considered "beach side" on the barrier island(s) so housing prices have not really lost much of their value pre-market crash.

Melbourne, Palm Bay, and a lot of the other expanding areas (The northern parts of Melbourne---Suntree, Viera, etc. and the southern parts of Palm Bay--- Bayside, etc.) have a few developments that got built, but never really lived in. Those houses pre-crash were going for $200+k but many can be had for a bit more than half of that. Some of the older houses (1980s+) can be stole for ~$50k if you're not looking for anything too fancy or not in need of some work.

I think the best part of the Melbourne/Palm Bay area is that it does seem like a community that is built upon a lot of outdoor activities. Lots of parks, beaches, boat docks, etc. It also seems to be a place that is not interested in a heavy tourism dollar. The beaches aren't plastered with crappy gift/surf shops and it seems to be based more of that local, shorts and sandals feel.

As for what to do it is really up to your interests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langsuyar View Post
Satellite beach is pretty nice. Worst high school mascot ever though. That general area (Palm Bay, Melbourne, Rockledge, and their conference which includes Belle Glades which is way south though) is a pro factory for the NFL, which makes it pretty interesting for high school football if you're into that thing.
Funny you mention that. Palm Bay High where I went effing hates that school....

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:33 PM   #10
Langsuyar
Radeon R600

Which school are you referring to? I was a rockledge graduate in 02, when we won back to back state titles in 02-03. Palm bay was like our only road block. But you guys put out Reggie Nelson and have Xavier Carter during that time frame.

I wasn't a football guy, but was pretty much at every game. I wrestled though and palm bay's gym was actually pretty nice as I recall. It was the only thing I looked forward to going there because your team was a bear.
Forever I'll remain
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:22 AM   #11
xCLAVEx
FYI FTP BGI BOYB

xCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEODARK View Post
Looks like my current job could be taking me new places. Geezer land of them all... Anyone around Melbourne, FL?

Got any suggestions for places around the area, wanna hang out some time?? Ah well, time will tell... I hate moving, but I guess moving to the beach isn't that bad. I'll miss VA, but... This should be a fun new place, who knows.

The actual move is probably happening in the next couple of months, need to make living arrangements, re-negotiate salary, etc... My choices could also take me to Katy, Texas.... But, we'll see as that would be a completely new company.

In either scenario I have to move as technology related stuff isn't readily available around my current area.

Fun, eh?
I actually live near Katy, Texas and it is a really, really, nice area. It's a busy suburban community that's just far enough away from the big city (Houston) to avoid most of the chaos. It's a small town with a REALLY small downtown (don't blink when driving through or you'll miss it) so if you like the small town atmosphere you'd probably like Katy. I actually spend most of my time in Katy rather than Houston (If I can avoid it).

Can't tell you about Melbourne, Fl though...didn't even know one existed lol.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

"A man moaning in a pr0n sounds like a cow with a kidney stone."

"It's often not your fault if you have problems, but it is your responsibility to do something about them".

Last edited by xCLAVEx : Jun 24, 2010 at 06:28 AM.
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 02:28 PM   #12
NEODARK
Radeon Sea Islands

Thanks for the heads up... We are still looking around. Texas is more of a remote option, but it's still there.

Looked at several houses/apts. I don't want to buy right away... I like to get to know the place first. So maybe if after a year things are looking good, I could. I've seen some houses for rent that aren't bad. From 1k or so a month seem pretty decent.

We'll see.

Thanks again for all the feedback
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Horus
resident kafir

Horus once held a door open for a complete strangerHorus once held a door open for a complete strangerHorus once held a door open for a complete stranger

never heard of the place