Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Other Discussions » Radeon Rumour Mill [Archived]
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Rumour Mill [Archived] A forum for discussion and speculation on AMD's upcoming graphics products and technologies. If it's not out yet it belongs in here.

Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Maverickman
Radeon R700

Maverickman is still being judged by the masses

ATI Technologies Radeon HD 6870 in Q4 2010!

Here's a link to the new Southern Islands GPU aka HD 6000 which is due by the end of the year. We probably won't see the HD 6870 until Q1 2011, but it isn't that far off. Also, the HD 6000 series seems to be more of a performance tweak to the Evergreen HD 5000 series than a completely new architecture. Still, we should see a nice performance increase, and ATI will retake the single GPU performance title from Nvidia.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d..._Up_in_Q4.html
1GB WD HDD 7200 RPM 64MB cache
16X DVD and BluRay
27-inch Monitor 1920X1080
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Maverickman
Radeon R700

Maverickman is still being judged by the masses

I should have put this thread in the Rumor Discussion.
1GB WD HDD 7200 RPM 64MB cache
16X DVD and BluRay
27-inch Monitor 1920X1080
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:30 PM   #3
RobertZ
Banned

RobertZ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickman View Post
Still, we should see a nice performance increase, and ATI will retake the single GPU performance title from Nvidia.
If southern islands is nothing more than a refresh of the 5000 series I wouldnt be to confident on them taking the single GPU performance title from Nvidia when Nvidia will likely also do a refresh. Thats just to far ahead to really tell who will be in the lead at that time.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationDave has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Subscriber

i thought the 6xxx series were supposed to be a brand new architecture?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:13 PM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
there was never any official announcement, and speculation that the next release of cards would be incremental has been going on a while.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:14 PM   #6
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
I think it was supposed to be, but TSMC decided to pull the plug on 32nm. Not sure if that's correct though...
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:05 PM   #7
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
The 6xxx series is Southern Islander and its just more tweak on architecture from NI's parts and with Evergreen Shader, also its still using 40nm process. The 7xxx series is Northern Islander and its a complete new architecture with 28nm process.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:22 PM   #8
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
I think it was supposed to be, but TSMC decided to pull the plug on 32nm. Not sure if that's correct though...
I believe it is. And by believe I mean that's my educated guess. Speculating further, I'd say SI will hit Feb-2011 in volume. NI, honestly don't know what the status is at this point. If NI was supposed to succeed Evergreen, that would seem to leave Evergreen as being on the market for a very long time. So unless Evergreen was supposed to have a midlife refresh, and that was scrapped because of SI...

It's confusing.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:44 PM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Best guess is NI scrapped, SI rehashed to be 40nm, hecatonchires (new architecture now 22nm at GloFlo?) pushed back...
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:02 AM   #10
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

That sounds like a bad, bad, and bad scenario to me.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:29 AM   #11
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Yup. Very Bad.

So on light of this, sounds like it's a good idea to get another 5870 and run Crossfire, since it seems the 6870 is going to be a small increase.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jul 16, 2010, 04:32 AM   #12
Nightingale

Nightingale is still being judged by the masses

Excuse my Ignorance, but if I may ask what is the point in these brand new architectures when all we have is dx9 console ports to play with?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:22 AM   #13
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I am hoping ATI does more than just some tweaking, nVidia might have been late to the party but they did do Tessellation right and stole ATIs DX11 thunder.

#SapphireNation
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:13 AM   #14
bigtabs
is a happy chappy

bigtabs is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
Excuse my Ignorance, but if I may ask what is the point in these brand new architectures when all we have is dx9 console ports to play with?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 07:41 AM   #15
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
The DX9 console ports get upgraded to use DX11 features.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:19 AM   #16
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
The DX9 console ports get upgraded to use DX11 features.
ha ... don't make us to begin again how useless the DX11 are in console port games (look at latest avp title).. One thing remains valid..Until console ports will be "ported" totally to DX11 in my next adult life the point of DX11 is limited.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 09:16 AM   #17
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I don't wish to derail the thread, but I totally agree.

I don't see anything on the horizon worth bothering with for PC gamers, certainly nothing which is going to tax new GFX hardware.

It would be good if nVidia and ATi could support PC gaming a bit more, though they have vested interests elsewhere too (consoles), so its a double edged sword.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 09:30 AM   #18
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
ha ... don't make us to begin again how useless the DX11 are in console port games (look at latest avp title).. One thing remains valid..Until console ports will be "ported" totally to DX11 in my next adult life the point of DX11 is limited.
It's limited for you, but I see a use for DX11 beyond pure console ports. Word has it, there are some game engines designed for PC, and some applications can use DX11 features without even being games! Crazy, I know.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:16 AM   #19
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
It's limited for you, but I see a use for DX11 beyond pure console ports. Word has it, there are some game engines designed for PC, and some applications can use DX11 features without even being games! Crazy, I know.
People here complain more about games not having DX11 than other software.If Photoshop will use DX11 for something worth it will be awesome for most graphician, photgraphers or other things but the question is for example Mr. Exotic that show off with his rig is intersted in those things? I am not sure so he will come and complain..I work a little in Photoshop because one of my hobbies is photography but nowhere near to begin to complain about DX11 lack or something like this..
The only thing that have connection with DX11 on my side are video games that just don't deliver..For me and many others here DX11 functionality is limited to useless..
Why i jumped to 5850 from 4850? Because Stalker with Dynamic Lighting that IS gorgeous and worth much much more than any DX11 implementation by now but have a very bad performance on 4850..I just couldn't resist and upgraded to 5850.The graphics in this game maybe is not so detailed like in Crysis or so colorfull but it just deliver what it needs to be a perfect/match atmosphere for that game..Crysis on the other hand is just graphics and that's it and no feeling.I feel like there is no connection between the graphics and the gameplay.
I want to see a game implementating the snow like in 3dmark 06 (no need for DX11 in this)..That's the best winter feeling i ever saw in a video game.
Silent Hill games i consider the most detailed video game i ever saw from graphics point of view.Someone worked very hard to put little details in every corner and not making the game dull and repetitive.
I gave you some examples that not the lack of DX11 is the problem but the devs ..... You can still do gorgeous graphics that can imerse ya without implenting 2 effects on a ported game..

Last edited by badsykes : Jul 16, 2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:21 AM   #20
dmanna
Radeon Northern Islands

dmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

DX9 is going to be here for awhile. Unfortunatly and whats even worse is some of the ported games run piss poor on far far superior systems. SC:Conviction for starters.

Anyone that wants to upgrade to a fermi or a 5xxx series go for it, Theres just not alot out there that will need more than that. Unoptimized ports withstanding.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:32 AM   #21
SteadVéx
Radeon Sea Islands

SteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

when things start using dx 10.1 maybe i'll consider upgrading

when's dx 12 out anyways?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:33 AM   #22
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

No timeline for DX12, next on the list is DX11.1
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:42 PM   #23
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

What will DX 11.1 bring? GPU physics for everyone? . What would be the benefits?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:20 PM   #24
SteadVéx
Radeon Sea Islands

SteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
What will DX 11.1 bring? GPU physics for everyone? . What would be the benefits?
it'll bring out some new refresh hardware that isn't compatable with 11, and there will be one game that uses it and will only work dx 7 unless you have a dx 11.1 card

I'm still bitter about not being able to use tessellation on dirt 2
Old Jul 16, 2010, 07:39 PM   #25
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Glad to hear AMD is still commited to refreshing Evergreen this year. Doesn't seem right to have to wait more than a year for a refresh, and that goes for both companies.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:46 PM   #26
poohbear
Radeon Evergreen

poohbear is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

someone has to support the build up to the next gen consoles. when the dx12 ports come about in 2013, u'll have a high end dx11 card, ok?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:47 PM   #27
Nightingale

Nightingale is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
someone has to support the build up to the next gen consoles. when the dx12 ports come about in 2013, u'll have a high end dx11 card, ok?
Will it play Crysis, lol.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 05:41 AM   #28
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

The pc users are beta testers for next gen console..haha.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:11 PM   #29
train2win
Radeon Southern Islands

train2win is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
That would be a huge benefit to me.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 09:56 PM   #30
muzz
Rage3D Veteran

muzz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler View Post
I am hoping ATI does more than just some tweaking, nVidia might have been late to the party but they did do Tessellation right and stole ATIs DX11 thunder.
Don't worry, nV has only been working on DX11 stuff for about a week or 2, give them as much time as ATI has had, and they will make a pinto look like a Porsche.....

So far DX11 has proven to be underwhelming, and the usage is buggy from everything I read......
Sure glad Win7 is there to save the day and give us the option to upgrade to DX11 games.....wooooo I was worried I was gonna miss out....ahhhhh scratch that, I'm missing out on......well.....bugs.

Lotsa Great Hype, little real performance.