Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nymaz

Nymaz is still being judged by the masses

Default Disable displayport?

I recently bought a prebuilt system with a PowerColor HD 6870.
It has 4 outputs: 1 displayport, 1 HDMI, 2 DVI
My main display is connected to the HDMI and a secondary VGA monitor connected to one of the DVI via an adapter.
I've got Win 7 Home premium, and the latest 11.2/8.821 drivers installed
I generally have awesome performance with one nagging issue - every time my system comes up from a boot, I will see BIOS, then Win splash screen, then both displays will go black. I've found a temporary fix by booting into safe mode, diddling with the display settings and rebooting.
I'm pretty sure the issue is that it is defaulting to output to the displayport. Is there a way to disable that or force HDMI to be the default?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:49 AM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

No, and that doesn't sounds like the problem to me. If you have nothing connected to the DP output it shouldn't use it either at the BIOS or in Windows. Have you tried hotplugging your HDMI connection when it goes black?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:19 AM   #3
Nymaz

Unfortunately, hotplugging does not make a difference.
My "outputting to dp" theory seemed to fit the facts, but I'll be the first to admit my specialty is not video cards, so if anyone could offer a competing theory I'd be all ears.
If it helps, there's one difference I didn't mention - when it is going to go black (and note it's black, not off, my displays are both detecting a signal), the Windows logo (on both) has an extra aura around it that isn't present when it will be booting to show the HDMI/VGA displays.
Oh well, if nothing else, I'll try to get a DP->HDMI adapter see if that makes a difference.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:45 AM   #4
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

Whether it's relevant or not, I'm not sure. But, I DO know that, even when I have my DP-connected monitor disabled, during the POST and Windows Start screens, I DO get the images on my DP-connected...although DISABLED...LCD.

But, I DO ALSO get the display on my main PRIMARY screen. You should be at least getting that.

You might try making the VGA screen your primary for a test and then reboot to see if you do get a display during boot.
~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:08 AM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

When you post the card uses DP attached displays first, but if you don't have anything connected to the DP output, it's disabled.

Sounds like you're having HDMI display detection issues, check in CCC Displays to test different settings to make it remember your active screens.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:18 PM   #6
Nymaz

After switching the VGA to primary, changing a few settings in CCC, and then switching the HDMI back to primary, the detection issues seem to be resolved. It's now detecting the monitors properly each time even after several reboots. Strangely enough, when I tried it with my VGA as the only monitor early into my troubleshooting, it didn't work... weird, but considering everything seems to be working now it's a mystery I can live with.
Thanks for all your help, guys!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:47 AM   #7
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymaz View Post
After switching the VGA to primary, changing a few settings in CCC, and then switching the HDMI back to primary, the detection issues seem to be resolved. It's now detecting the monitors properly each time even after several reboots. Strangely enough, when I tried it with my VGA as the only monitor early into my troubleshooting, it didn't work... weird, but considering everything seems to be working now it's a mystery I can live with.
Thanks for all your help, guys!
I thought that might get things going in the right direction. Glad you got it sorted out.
~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)