Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 25, 2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber
Default Need a new tablet

I've had a cracked screen on my iPad 3 for a bit now and had made plans to get it repaired next weekend. Unfortunately, coffee was spilled on it this morning by one of the little ones on christmas morning. It's toast. We'll see what it does in the morning, but it's not looking good. I use this thing ALL THE TIME. I pretty much carry it all over the house and have music, shows, or movies running when I'm in the kitchen, bathroom, or working in the garage. So yeah, I want a replacement fast.

I'm not sure I want another iPad this time, but it seems the best for me so far. For those of you familiar enough with different tablets, what would you recommend? I don't play games (ever) and I don't run a ton of different apps.

The Surface 2 looks very tempting. Reviews seem ok. Any good reasons why I should NOT get this?

Anyway, I'm open to considering alternatives to an iPad Air. Let me know what you guys think.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Surface 2 is pretty limited, I'd get something based on Bay Trail if you're wanting Windows... Full Windows, great performance, good battery life, and plenty of options. Love my Dell Venue 8 Pro.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2013, 09:22 PM   #3
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Surface 2 is pretty limited, I'd get something based on Bay Trail if you're wanting Windows... Full Windows, great performance, good battery life, and plenty of options. Love my Dell Venue 8 Pro.
What is limited?

What is Bay Trail?

I'll see what I can find on it, but yeah...I think I would prefer Windows.

EDIT: The Dell Venue does look decent. More so with the Venue 11, but I need to look into it.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh

Last edited by OverclockN' : Dec 25, 2013 at 09:27 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 25, 2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Surface 2 can't run full Windows app, you're stuck with Metro apps and those are limited. Bay Trail is the new Intel Atom processor, it runs full Windows 8.1 and does so very well.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 09:43 PM   #5
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Dell Venue 11 Pro looks perfect.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 25, 2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Dell Venue 11 Pro looks perfect.
That's the one my lady wants.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:10 PM   #7
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
That's the one my lady wants.
Anything you don't like about the Venue 8?

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:12 PM   #8
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Anything you don't like about the Venue 8?
The camera sucks, otherwise it's solid. Good construction, nice screen (better than my damned Inspiron 15z touchscreen laptop ), good weight, not too thick, just all around a nice device.

I even have Steam on it, play Civ 5 with it. I used Steam Mover to move Civ5 to a class 10 MicroSD, works great.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:18 PM   #9
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

WTF. Civ V actually runs on it with 2GB of RAM and that processor?

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:20 PM   #10
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
WTF. Civ V actually runs on it with 2GB of RAM and that processor?
Yeah, not as well as my laptop, but very playable still. Load times from the SD aren't great, but once the game is loaded it's a blast. Only problem is the DX10/11 version (which includes the tablet version) crashes, so I have to run the DX9 version. Not a huge deal though. Probably a problem with the Intel drivers.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:27 PM   #11
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

What about the Surface Pro 2?

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:08 AM   #12
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
That's in my first post and we talked about it briefly. I don't want Windows rt.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:46 AM   #13
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

It aint RT, anything with PRO in it is full windows. Great machine but i think their asking too much for it, especially seeing that there are some other great options out there.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 02:25 AM   #14
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Surface Pro 2 is almost practically a low end laptop replacement/tablet in one. Its way too expensive unless you actually want to replace a cheap laptop with it, since it runs haswell (intel Core i5) inside.

Tablets that run on the bay trail (Intel Atom) pretty much take the low price market if you want full windows as opposed to RT (Which was made to use the ARM processors)
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe
HyperX Cloud Stinger wired headset
Sasquach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:05 AM   #15
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Ever use one? They're crazy bulky, annoyingly so. Bay Trail is where it's at.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:06 AM   #16
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
That's in my first post and we talked about it briefly. I don't want Windows rt.
Nah you said Surface 2, totally different product Surface Pro 2 is full Windows, but as I said above, very bulky. Also expensive, too much for a mere media consumption device.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:15 AM   #17
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

I had the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 mixed up. I'm not paying $900 for a tablet. About $600 is the limit.

Here's what I'm looking for as of right now: Windows 8.1(full), 32GB minimum, and 1920x1080.

The Dell Venue 11 Pro still seems like the best choice. Also considering the Surface Pro as well if I can find one. Looks like the price has been bumped down to $680. The i5, 128GB, and 4GB RAM would be nice. A bit heavier, but I think I could get past that.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh

Last edited by OverclockN' : Dec 26, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:54 AM   #18
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I had the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 mixed up. I'm not paying $900 for a tablet. About $600 is the limit.

Here's what I'm looking for as of right now: Windows 8.1(full), 32GB minimum, and 1920x1080.

The Dell Venue 11 Pro still seems like the best choice. Also considering the Surface Pro as well if I can find one. Looks like the price has been bumped down to $680. The i5, 128GB, and 4GB RAM would be nice. A bit heavier, but I think I could get past that.
The battery on the first Surface Pro is pretty bad. I wouldn't.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:00 PM   #19
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
The battery on the first Surface Pro is pretty bad. I wouldn't.
Looks like it lasts 4-5 hours with heavy use. Not sure when I would need more than that.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:53 PM   #20
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Surface Pro is a nice tablet, have used one quite a bit. Screen is sweet, digitizer is actually handy. Also, I have a bit of a crush on the type covers.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 05:07 PM   #21
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Surface Pro is a nice tablet, have used one quite a bit. Screen is sweet, digitizer is actually handy. Also, I have a bit of a crush on the type covers.
I liked the new type covers if I didn't have to pay full bore on my 1520 I would have got a pro 2 128gb at the same time
but i'll wait and hope they drop the price of the 256 & 512gb

is there going to be a Surface Pro 3 this coming fall ?
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 08:59 PM   #22
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
I liked the new type covers if I didn't have to pay full bore on my 1520 I would have got a pro 2 128gb at the same time
but i'll wait and hope they drop the price of the 256 & 512gb

is there going to be a Surface Pro 3 this coming fall ?
more than likely there would be one, probably outfitted with whatever the successor to haswell is.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe
HyperX Cloud Stinger wired headset
Sasquach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 02:44 AM   #23
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

After looking at the Surface Pro for a while tonight, I went with that. Haven't had a whole lot of time with it yet, but love it so far.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 28, 2013, 09:43 AM   #24
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 02:34 PM   #25
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

curious about a full Win8.1 tablet.
Got a Note 10.1, use it for reading and doodling with the pen mostly.
And some emulator stuff like ScummVM and such.
So a win8.1 tablet with a pen should offer more options on those lines, full photoshop instead of sketchbook pro and more light gaming that isnt mobile games..
Old Dec 28, 2013, 03:41 PM   #26
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2?
Surface Pro

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 28, 2013, 08:49 PM   #27
jtpeace
hear in the quiet

jtpeace is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
The camera sucks, otherwise it's solid. Good construction, nice screen (better than my damned Inspiron 15z touchscreen laptop ), good weight, not too thick, just all around a nice device.

I even have Steam on it, play Civ 5 with it. I used Steam Mover to move Civ5 to a class 10 MicroSD, works great.
I don't mean to derail the thread, but I have a question for Elysian: Have you used the Synaptics (I believe they are the maker) pen with your Venue? I have been using Windows TabletPC's for a long while now, but haven't found a workable slate with pen. BayTrail has me intrigued, but I went with a Note 8.0 (for the time being) because of the Wacom digitizer, but I would much prefer a Win8 tablet over Android for work reasons (don't get me wrong...I love my Note). I am quite interested in the new stylus manufacturer, though.

Last edited by jtpeace : Dec 28, 2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: clarification
jtpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 09:02 PM   #28
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpeace View Post
I don't mean to derail the thread, but I have a question for Elysian: Have you used the Synaptics (I believe they are the maker) pen with your Venue? I have been using Windows TabletPC's for a long while now, but haven't found a workable slate with pen. BayTrail has me intrigued, but I went with a Note 8.0 (for the time being) because of the Wacom digitizer, but I would much prefer a Win8 tablet over Android for work reasons (don't get me wrong...I love my Note). I am quite interested in the new stylus manufacturer, though.
I've not bought one yet. I want to, just had other more pressing things to buy... I'll get one in the not too distant future though. I've heard not too amazing things about it, but I think that can be addressed via drivers/firmware.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 09:23 PM   #29
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I wonder if the VP11 has the same issues.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:15 PM   #30
jtpeace
hear in the quiet

jtpeace is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I've not bought one yet. I want to, just had other more pressing things to buy... I'll get one in the not too distant future though. I've heard not too amazing things about it, but I think that can be addressed via drivers/firmware.
I understand the need to prioritize money flow. Once you do pick up a pen, a user review by you would be most appreciated.