Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:11 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Need help with audio solution

I'm looking to build a cost-effective audio solution that consists of an MP3 player and a docking station with built-in speakers.

Ideas?

Important:
Cost. I'm a cheap bastard. This probably rules out anything by Apple.
Docking station must have built-in speakers.
Docking station must use AC power
MP3 player must have a decent GUI

Not so important:
Audio quality (either using speakers, or headphones with the MP3 player)
Capacity 2GB would be acceptable. 4GB preferable. More than 4GB unnecessary
Video capability. Nice, but not important.

- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:20 AM   #2
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Older iPod?

Not much of an Apple fan... yet have to admit that they dominate the market when it comes to accessories.
Old May 1, 2011, 12:10 AM   #3
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Sansa Fuze: Here ($60 new but you can routinely find refurbs for ~ $35)

Speakers for anyone: Here

Even some(most?) "iPod" docks are compatible with other MP3 players via a 3.5mm auxiliary input.

Your mother would like it.

Actually, I DID buy a Fuze for my mother-in-law. She has a Tech-savy Score around -3 but she loves it.

Last edited by mizzer : May 1, 2011 at 12:13 AM.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 1, 2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
Sansa Fuze: Here ($60 new but you can routinely find refurbs for ~ $35)

Speakers for anyone: Here

Even some(most?) "iPod" docks are compatible with other MP3 players via a 3.5mm auxiliary input.

Your mother would like it.

Actually, I DID buy a Fuze for my mother-in-law. She has a Tech-savy Score around -3 but she loves it.
So you're saying that this docking station, which lists "auxiliary input" among the technical details, can be used to input audio from a Fuze's headphone jack? Not too shabby. I'll definitely check this out.

- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)

Last edited by Djinn : May 1, 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 05:25 PM   #5
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

I second the Sansa Fuze. I got one for my wife and they are very nice. The controls are so similar to the old ipods I am surprised they didn't get their pants sued off.

For the more tech savy user there is even some very nice custom firmware that was put out with a bunch of extra features like the ability to play Doom. I believe its call RockBox. http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaFuze

Last edited by aviphysics : May 2, 2011 at 05:34 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 01:17 PM   #6
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
So you're saying that this docking station, which lists "auxiliary input" among the technical details, can be used to input audio from a Fuze's headphone jack? Not too shabby. I'll definitely check this out.
Yep. Most docks that I've seen have a 3.5mm input.

The only thing is although the dock is AC powered the Fuze is not and will run on battery power. Still, I get many hours of listening from a full charge and the Fuze can be charged via USB or AC adapter (usually sold separately). I suppose one could technically power the Fuze via the AC adapter while it's connected to the dock but there' really no need.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote