Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old May 22, 2022, 12:35 PM   #1681
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

X600 gen mobos leaking before tomorrows computex. 2 chipset io and tons of usb on some models is what comes off at first:

https://www.techpowerup.com/295068/a...ad-of-computex

https://www.techpowerup.com/295095/f...appears-online

Quote:
These pictures are often used to make sure things like the solder mask and components were applied properly during production. However, it does give us a good look at the overall layout of the ASUS X670 Prime-P WiFi and the fact that the X670 chipset does indeed consist of two parts. What is also clear is that we're looking at a PCIe 5.0 x16 slot here, as these slots are SMD components rather than through hole.

Other things that are clearly visible, includes support for three M.2 slots, of which the one closest to the CPU might be PCIe 5.0, but there's really no way of telling by just looking at the connector placement. There's also a space for a WiFi module at the bottom of the rear I/O, but beyond that, it's hard to make out the proper port layout. However, there appears to be at least one USB-C port at the rear, as well as a header for another one at the front of the motherboard, next to a USB 3.0 header. The board also appears to feature 14 power phases and obviously four DDR5 DIMM slots. The chip between the two chipsets are either a Super I/O chip or possibly a PCIe redriver. In addition to the x16 PCIe 5.0 slot, the X670 Prime-P appears to be getting a single PCIe x1 slot and two PCIe x4 slots, both which appear to get physical x16 slots.
https://wccftech.com/msi-x670e-godli...zen-7000-cpus/

Quote:
According to the leak, the pictures give us a first look at the design of the MSI MPG X670E Carbon WIFI while also detailing the I/O of the flagship MEG X670E GODLIKE and X670E ACE offerings. The lineup also features a singular PRO offering, the X670-P WIFI which will come with both PCIe Gen 5.0 and 4.0 support while the X670E offerings will feature all PCIe Gen 5.0 support. The board does look like it comes with a massive VRM heatsink with a new logo design & the picture also confirms a Lightning Gen 5 M.2 port on the Carbon along with the PCIe Gen 5.0 x16 slot.
2 versions of the x670- chipset. Something look out for.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org

Last edited by pax : May 22, 2022 at 12:54 PM.
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2022, 03:26 PM   #1682
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

yeah sounds like x670e will support pcie gen5 GPUs and expanded IO (looks like dual chipsets to handle it all) and x670 will be pcie gen4 gpu support

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2022, 03:32 PM   #1683
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

It's weird to me how PCI-e generations have gotten so far out ahead of what GPUs actually utilize.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 22, 2022, 03:45 PM   #1684
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

that is because pcie isnt just used by GPUs anymore. its become a generalized I/O interface supporting storage , usb , expansion slots, interconnects to chipsets.

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

Old May 22, 2022, 03:57 PM   #1685
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
that is because pcie isnt just used by GPUs anymore. its become a generalized I/O interface supporting storage , usb , expansion slots, interconnects to chipsets.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2022, 05:31 PM   #1686
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Subscriber

I expect tonight's presentation to be mostly cover platform , CPUs , APUs, and a 1-2 minute preview of RDNA3 (nothing substantial maybe a tighter launch window)

Old May 23, 2022, 03:16 AM   #1687
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

5.5Ghz hey........

31% faster in Blender over the 12900K
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2022, 07:46 AM   #1688
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Link because Mega can't be bothered:

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-zen-4-ry...-announcement/
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2022, 07:47 AM   #1689
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Link because Mega can't be bothered:
Word.
Old May 23, 2022, 07:48 AM   #1690
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Word.
SMH.....
Old May 23, 2022, 07:51 AM   #1691
Megaman
Packing heat!

I am the link….bish
Old May 23, 2022, 07:53 AM   #1692
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
I am the link….bish
Old May 23, 2022, 08:09 AM   #1693
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

MLID and many others predicted a 10-11% clock increase because of the drop from 7nm to 5nm. Turns out they were pretty close as it looks like they gained a 12% clock increase from this. This puts their clock speeds on par with Intel's fastest single thread chip at 5.5Ghz. Intel will no doubt respond with a chip that beats it by 200 or 300Mhz but still, it's nice to see AMD gain ground in this important area. The thing I find most exciting is the gameplay of Deathloop playing in the background is clearly showing this CPU hitting 5.5Ghz while playing a game that uses 8 or more cores. This could be a sign that AMD has achieved 5.5Ghz clock speeds on 8 cores or more at the same time.

The thing MLID got wrong and that I find especially disappointing is the IPC gains. It looks like they gained12% from clocks and AMD is saying 15% improvement for single thread so they only gained 3% IPC gain from the looks of it. Perhaps someone told him up to 30% gains in blender and he figured that they were going to gain 10% from clock rates so he just guessed that they had a 20% IPC gain. That's not how it works lol.

I'd be interested to see what temps these chips operate on with a large AIO.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2022, 08:12 AM   #1694
acroig
Troll SMod

Wow, AMD has a 5.5GHz all core CPU. Good times ahead.
Old May 23, 2022, 08:46 AM   #1695
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

Maybe, but 8 cores is only half the cores on the 7950X and Deathloop is not a CPU intensive game so the situation could change based on CPU load. Intel will make up some ground by catching up with AMD's expanded cache and it will probably regain the single thread crown with increased clock frequencies but I doubt Intel will be able to maintain 5.5Ghz on all 8 big cores so AMD could still pull ahead in gaming. I'd be surprised to see Intel Pass 5.3Ghz all core to be honest. Still, AMD didn't gain much from architectural improvements. If Intel makes even a 10% gain here (which they are rumored to) then they will pull ahead in most everything I use a CPU for, if I had to guess it. If the difference is + or - 3% after overclocking then I will buy whatever chip keeps the lowest temps.

Last edited by the_sextein : May 23, 2022 at 08:53 AM.
Old May 23, 2022, 09:00 AM   #1696
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Falling prey to marketing schemes I see..

5.5Ghz all-core? No shot
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old May 23, 2022, 09:10 AM   #1697
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Maybe I'm a Debbie Downer, but the x670E feels like it is going to have many weird issues at launch with its dual chipset.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2022, 09:28 AM   #1698
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Maybe I'm a Debbie Downer, but the x670E feels like it is going to have many weird issues at launch with its dual chipset.
I'm more concerned about cost. We keep getting further away from the $250 price point for a motherboard with these flagship high end models. What are they going to ask for on these? The same amount we pay for the CPU?

Hard to get excited any more about motherboards when the cost is getting so far out of hand.

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2022, 09:48 AM   #1699
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
It's possible but I'm sure Gamers Nexus and many others will report any problems when they review the platform and thoroughly test it.

Looks like wccf is already talking about the 15% improvement vs leaks haha.
https://wccftech.com/amd-greater-tha...nother-jebait/

Last edited by the_sextein : May 23, 2022 at 10:02 AM.
Old May 23, 2022, 10:06 AM   #1700
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I'm more concerned about cost. We keep getting further away from the $250 price point for a motherboard with these flagship high end models. What are they going to ask for on these? The same amount we pay for the CPU?

Hard to get excited any more about motherboards when the cost is getting so far out of hand.
$250 for a high-end board? Maybe in 2004. Those prices haven't existed in quite a long time.

Everyone wants new features like PCIE5.0, supreme expandability, better on-board audio, high quality VRMs, 8-10 layer PCBs .. but then no one wants to pay for it.
Old May 23, 2022, 10:35 AM   #1701
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I think the game shown was Ghostwire Tokyo. They didnt show any fps tho but its probably cpu bound anyway.

5.5 has to be single core imo. But they did report in some places of 5.0 or more all core which is still a good boost. No info on any 3d cache. They are probably so focused on getting that 5+ ghz that we wont see it for a while. Maybe a spring refresh on 2023 or maybe even later on 3nm.

15% with 5.5 is still modest... I think this platform will hit its stride in its 2nd gen. First gen being mostly a solid productivity boost.

Some games like core speed more than cache or core count tho so be cool to see how that will pan out game wise. I wouldnt be surprised to see the 5800x3d beat zen4 in some games.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2022, 10:43 AM   #1702
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I wouldn't be surprised either about the 5800X3D.

There's no chance we'll see 3D Cache on a Zen4 for some time, imo. I'm suspecting the push in core clocks is going to up power consumption, and with more power, more heat.. and heat is the main reason the 5800X3D had to have it's core clock gimped.

With the success of the chip, though, I'm sure AMD went back to the lab to figure out how to

A) make the cache more resistant to thermals+current
B) potentially reposition the cache to increase thermal transfer ability
Old May 23, 2022, 10:43 AM   #1703
Nagorak

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Zen 4 sounds a bit disappointing to me based on what has been released. Only a 15-20% uplift is only going to put it in the same ballpark as the 5800X3D for gaming. Granted, outside of gaming it would be faster, but still kind of a limited improvement to justify the cost and hassle of switching over to a whole new platform and memory type.
Old May 23, 2022, 11:18 AM   #1704
AllexxisF1
F- Insurrectionists

AllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English Channel

I have a feeling AMD is sandbagging.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2022, 11:34 AM   #1705
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
I think the game shown was Ghostwire Tokyo. They didnt show any fps tho but its probably cpu bound anyway.

5.5 has to be single core imo. But they did report in some places of 5.0 or more all core which is still a good boost. No info on any 3d cache. They are probably so focused on getting that 5+ ghz that we wont see it for a while. Maybe a spring refresh on 2023 or maybe even later on 3nm.

15% with 5.5 is still modest... I think this platform will hit its stride in its 2nd gen. First gen being mostly a solid productivity boost.

Some games like core speed more than cache or core count tho so be cool to see how that will pan out game wise. I wouldnt be surprised to see the 5800x3d beat zen4 in some games.
Yeah you are right, it was tokyo ghostwire, my mistake. I think it's possible that AMD is designating 8 cores as performance cores and 8 cores as support cores. If an app uses all 16 cores equally then it runs them all at 5Ghz but if a game is using 8 threads primarily then it probably cuts the frequency on 8 of the cores by 1.5Ghz or something and boosts the primary cores to 5.5Ghz. This would explain why the game starts at 5Ghz and quickly boosts to 5.5Ghz. They probably don't want Intel to know exactly how their CPU works which is why they only showed a single core speed instead of each core. Each core is a large core but their software is probably tweaking how the cores are used to compete with Intels 8 core config for gaming purposes. Just a thought and pure specualtion on my part.

Last edited by the_sextein : May 23, 2022 at 11:40 AM.
Old May 23, 2022, 12:12 PM   #1706
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

If All PC games have to work and be optimized for 8 cores so that they work as good as possible for Intel then AMD just needs to tell the OS what 8 cores to direct the data to and they can practically turn off half of their cores and run the chip like a big 8 core CPU when it games. This would allow them to achieve higher 8 core clocks than Intel. Intel would have a higher single core clock which would win at cinebench but it wouldn't allow them to win at gaming. Thats what I think is happening. I hope anyway. I'd like to see AMD be more competitive right now.
Old May 23, 2022, 12:40 PM   #1707
Nagorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

I think this is mostly because the motherboard manufacturers realized there was a market for "Cadillac" boards that are well into the range of diminishing returns in terms of quality/features per buck. As far as I can tell the quality of $150-$200 boards is still the same or better than in the past, and I'd say that boards in the $100 range boards are clearly higher quality than they were a decade ago. The bottom line in my opinion is if your limit is $250 for a board, then just buy one in that price range.
Old May 23, 2022, 01:11 PM   #1708
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

Flipping burgers paid $7.50 an hour back then, now it pays $15.00. Gas prices are high and effecting the cost of everything else, Tariff's, Covid ect, it sucks pretty bad. They alienate enough people and high tech business starts to suffer because people can't afford their products anymore. If I got paid twice what I did when motherboards were $250 then I wouldn't think they were expensive or care but only minimum wage has doubled. The skilled labor just barely keeps up these days.
Old May 23, 2022, 01:22 PM   #1709
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Subscriber

ive got to agree with wccftech amd didnt say 15% they said over 15% we dont know what that means yet. Hopefully we will get more information by august (if expected launch is somewhere in the late september to mid december time frame. I'm guessing late october early novemeber launch at this point.

Old May 23, 2022, 01:30 PM   #1710
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

Well, it's 15% OR greater and 12% is clock increase so IPC probably varies from 3% to some unstated peak but I get the feeling that is because the majority of their IPC improvements have to do with multi threading so they can keep up with another volley of E cores from Intel. 31% multithreading improvement with the same number of cores and a 10% clock increase is pretty solid gains for a generational jump. Better than either AMD or Intel had done for the decade leading up to the 5000 series. People were hoping for a 30% single core bump and it ain't going to happen.