Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:25 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber
Default If you help me fix my problem I'll give you $10...really.

I've had trouble with my set-up since day one.

Problem: during gaming (in the first 5 minutes) the computer will either 1) freeze or 2) reboot. After I reset the computer and re-launch the game I was playing prior to the crash I can play for a long time and never have an issue. Yet, if I switch to another game after playing the first, BLAMO, crash or reboot.

Here's what I've tried:
1) Bios setting according to my motherboard's site and according to my RAM's site (OCZ).
2) A new PSU (different one, higher quality).
3) A new motherboard (same one).
4) New hard drive and fresh install.
5) Removed all unnecessary cards.
6) Ran memtest (8 hours, no errors).
7) Adjusted volts on RAM, chip, and vid card.
8) Stock and two different after-market coolers on my vid card.
9) Increased air-flow (although temps don't seem to be an issue on proc or vid card).
10) Checked PSU volts with a DMM at boot-up, idle, and load. No problems.

When I make a significant change (like removing all unnecessary cards) the problem will go away for maybe a week but will return just like before.

Rig:
DFI CFX3200
OCZ 2x1GB Platinum (2-3-2-5)
X1900 XT (currently with Accelero 2)
Creative X-fi Platinum
OCZ Gamextreme 700W

Help?
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:29 AM   #2
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Try running your system on a UPS. Since the failure is repeatable, I doubt that A/C power line noise is the issue but it wouldn't hurt.

cbsboyer

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:54 AM   #3
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsboyer View Post
Try running your system on a UPS. Since the failure is repeatable, I doubt that A/C power line noise is the issue but it wouldn't hurt.

cbsboyer
I don't have one available and I'm not buying one. Even so, I've had other systems plugged into the same outlet with no problems.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:15 PM   #4
seeker010
chaotic evil

seeker010 is still being judged by the masses

hire an exorcist. it's obvious that spirits (demonic or otherwise) have invaded your silicon life form. other than that, have you tried a different graphics card? new motherboard drivers? uhh different motherboard?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:21 PM   #5
The Pig
Banned

The Pig is still being judged by the masses

Try living without your Creative card for awhile and see what happens. They've been known to cause some crazy **** from time to time.
The Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:58 PM   #6
NiDan
...because we can.

NiDan is still being judged by the masses

Default Blood Sacrifice

Did you make a blood sacrifice to the computer gods?

The computer gods demand a sacrifice or any new pc will be nothing but trouble.

but seriously...
What games? Every game?

More info is always helpful.
NiDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 01:08 PM   #7
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

It happens with every game always the same pattern: ~5 minutes in = freeze and reboot. Actually, it doesn't happen all the time. Just most of the time.

I've already replaced my motherboard through RMA thinking it may be the culprit. I had all my parts on another board with no issues. The issues started when I migrated to the new board. It went like this: board 1 (no issues) -> board 2 (issues) -> RMA of board 2-> replacement board 2 (issues) -> frustration.

I've updated board drivers and even flashed to the latest bios.

The kicker (the thing that REALLY puzzles me) is that after a crash I am good to go for hours.

mizzer

Last edited by mizzer : Jan 23, 2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 01:52 PM   #8
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Uber_Tiny is still being judged by the masses

#1 What's the proc you have in that?

#2 I wouldn't think it was the ram cause OCZ is some good ****. But have you tryd any other ram?

#3 This sounds like the memory is not releasing old data properly and is getting overloaded causing the reboot/freeze. This would be something to do with bios or a chip on board. Make sure you have the latest bios update and chipset drivers.

EDIT: Looks like you answered one of my questions before I could post it.

Last edited by Uber_Tiny : Jan 23, 2007 at 01:55 PM.
Uber_Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 03:42 PM   #9
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

Got an FX-53 running @ stock with an Arctic Cooler on it.

I haven't tried any other RAM. I have none to try atm.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 03:49 PM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

you've done a lot of hardware troubleshooting but i dont see any reports of software troubleshooting. That's a long tedious job, but if you can make yourself do it then just install the basics to play a certain game. like fresh install of OS, write the down revision of all drivers - chipset, audio, graphics, directx. play a game, see if the problem still happens. if it doesn't then that will give you some clues to go.

I would download a trial of Acronis True Image first, to backup your OS partition before you start messing. Gives you a get out of jail free card if you want it.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 04:04 PM   #11
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Uber_Tiny is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
you've done a lot of hardware troubleshooting but i dont see any reports of software troubleshooting. That's a long tedious job, but if you can make yourself do it then just install the basics to play a certain game. like fresh install of OS, write the down revision of all drivers - chipset, audio, graphics, directx. play a game, see if the problem still happens. if it doesn't then that will give you some clues to go.

I would download a trial of Acronis True Image first, to backup your OS partition before you start messing. Gives you a get out of jail free card if you want it.
Yes

Their could be something running in the background that you are not aware of. Or just a program that you have overlooked that is causing this to happen.
Uber_Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 04:55 PM   #12
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Power or software, those are the only reasonable culprits here.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 07:17 AM   #13
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

Quote:

So, a fresh install with latest drivers and bios doesn't cover "software troubleshooting"? To note: I am getting a new PSU for another build. I will see if that does the trick.

BTW, thanks for suggesting Acronis T.I.

Last edited by mizzer : Jan 24, 2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:48 AM   #14
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
So, a fresh install with latest drivers and bios doesn't cover "software troubleshooting"? To note: I am getting a new PSU for another build. I will see if that does the trick.

BTW, thanks for suggesting Acronis T.I.
Well, it only covers 1 set of drivers installed, did you try different chipset drivers, then different video drivers, different audio drivers etc. What patches were installed? Theres a lot more to cover than a single nuke and pave will figure out.

The fact that taking out all your unncessary cards gives you a week of stability instead of 5 mins, pushes me more towards insall config.

Start simple with the basics, using your install cd and the default drivers, and only installing drivers for what you need. Don't mess with any default settings, don't try any 'tweaks' or speed-ups, go with simple as possible. Use the driver versions that shipped with the devices, from the original CD's. If you dont have those, find them on the manufacturers websites or search driver archive sites. Post here if you're looking for a specific one and have no luck.

If the problem still exists, then move on to updated patches. install only critical patches, no extra software thats not required - .net, windows media player, etc.
If you still have the problem, then start looking at chipset drivers. try a couple of intermediate updates before you get to the latest revision, if you have problems.
Then move on to the other cards, as well. Do one at a time, make notes, track the revisions and how you installed them etc.

Another thing you might want to try first is setting real loose, slow timings on your RAM. I know, I know - it passed memtest. But that don't mean it's giving your system the data for the OS to use it. Disable onboard devices you don't need, like USB/Firewire/Integrated sound. Disable IDE channels/controllers not used. Disable NIC if its not needed to test a game that causes the problem. Try new cables for connecting drives.

Otherwise, pull it apart, throw it on ebay, and buy new stuff.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:56 AM   #15
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

Quote:
Well, it only covers 1 set of drivers installed, did you try different chipset drivers, then different video drivers, different audio drivers etc. What patches were installed? Theres a lot more to cover than a single nuke and pave will figure out.

The fact that taking out all your unncessary cards gives you a week of stability instead of 5 mins, pushes me more towards insall config.

Start simple with the basics, using your install cd and the default drivers, and only installing drivers for what you need. Don't mess with any default settings, don't try any 'tweaks' or speed-ups, go with simple as possible. Use the driver versions that shipped with the devices, from the original CD's. If you dont have those, find them on the manufacturers websites or search driver archive sites. Post here if you're looking for a specific one and have no luck.

If the problem still exists, then move on to updated patches. install only critical patches, no extra software thats not required - .net, windows media player, etc.
If you still have the problem, then start looking at chipset drivers. try a couple of intermediate updates before you get to the latest revision, if you have problems.
Then move on to the other cards, as well. Do one at a time, make notes, track the revisions and how you installed them etc.

Another thing you might want to try first is setting real loose, slow timings on your RAM. I know, I know - it passed memtest. But that don't mean it's giving your system the data for the OS to use it. Disable onboard devices you don't need, like USB/Firewire/Integrated sound. Disable IDE channels/controllers not used. Disable NIC if its not needed to test a game that causes the problem. Try new cables for connecting drives.

Otherwise, pull it apart, throw it on ebay, and buy new stuff.
I tell ya, I'm about half sick thinking about going through all that.

I think I'll go with your last sentence. I'm building a new rig anyway. The old one...I just want it gone.

Thanks man.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:29 AM   #16
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

I know, just typing it out I was like... 'screw that, start over!' I've had a couple of rigs I just couldn't get 'right', nothing special they just wouldn't 'behave'. Pulling apart and selling off the parts solved the problem.

Lemme know if you're selling your X1900?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:12 PM   #17
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

Quote:

Lemme know if you're selling your X1900?

Lupine has dibs on it.

No, no. Just kidding. You're the first. I'll let you know. Probably gonna wait for the R600 though.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:50 PM   #18
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
Lupine has dibs on it.

No, no. Just kidding. You're the first. I'll let you know. Probably gonna wait for the R600 though.
LMAO!!! Thanks man, I'm in no hurry.