Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
easyrider
Radeon R700

easyrider is still being judged by the masses

Default Got a video card issue I need some advice on

I have a laptop with a nvidia 7000M 128mb dedicated video card and I play WoW with this laptop......I do realise it's not a gameing card, but all I play with it is WoW with it, no other games. At in game setting of 800x600, all the settings in the nv panel in windows to lowest or off, and all the in game settings to lowest, and I only get 10fps......shouldn't I get more than that? I wouldn;t think WoW would ask that much of it, especially since I'm at 8x6 and everything turned all the way down and/or off in both nv panel in windows and in game.
So am I doing somthing wrong here? are there other drivers that anyone knows of that will improve this. I don't need the best, but I would be happy to play with 16x aniso, and in game 1024x768 everything off, that I'de be happy with, and if I got around 20-30 fps, or even a steady 20fos I'de be happy, and it would play at that.
So again am I missing somthing here, is WoW that demanding??

Edit: The laptop is a Compaq Presario F700 series, model F761, if anyone wants to look the specs up

Also forgot to add, it seems from what I can tell anyways, that changeing the res, and settings doesn't seem to affect the fps much, IF at all, so like I can change the ansi to 16x in nv panel, and set the res to 1280x760 (wide screen) and I still seem to get that same 9-11 fps.

Last edited by easyrider : Jun 20, 2008 at 09:19 PM.
easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:51 PM   #2
HonestJohn
More Brains

HonestJohn is still being judged by the masses

Have you tried these drivers? Although I have a feeling that's what you're running anyway.....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...3678786&dlc=en

How much ram do you have and are you running Vista? 1 GB? and are there any settings in the BIOS that allow you to change how much system (shared) memory is allocated to the GPU? I found something that says it can use up to 287MBs.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...=OTC-GPRODUCTS

Anyway, just some general things to try and I'm speaking from experience as I just bought my wife a Compaq C751 for net surfing. You should clean out as much of the compaq extra crap that's installed on there and limit what's loading in the background. I would also bump up system memory to 2GB since memory is so cheap now and just toss the two 512MB SO-DIMMS in a drawer.
HonestJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:25 PM   #3
easyrider
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestJohn View Post
Have you tried these drivers? Although I have a feeling that's what you're running anyway.....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...3678786&dlc=en

How much ram do you have and are you running Vista? 1 GB? and are there any settings in the BIOS that allow you to change how much system (shared) memory is allocated to the GPU? I found something that says it can use up to 287MBs.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...=OTC-GPRODUCTS

Anyway, just some general things to try and I'm speaking from experience as I just bought my wife a Compaq C751 for net surfing. You should clean out as much of the compaq extra crap that's installed on there and limit what's loading in the background. I would also bump up system memory to 2GB since memory is so cheap now and just toss the two 512MB SO-DIMMS in a drawer.
Yep thats the exact one.
No I can't find anything in the bios that will let me set the share mem, all that I can set is the dedicated.
I've already gotten rid of everything on the laptop except fo what it ened to run, IE: trial programs, etc... all the bloat crap that comes preinstalled.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 21, 2008, 07:48 AM   #4
HonestJohn
More Brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
Yep thats the exact one.
No I can't find anything in the bios that will let me set the share mem, all that I can set is the dedicated.
Not on my wife's laptop either, I guess it's allocated automatically. Sounds like the best thing you can do then is to upgrade to 2GB's and hope for the best.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:36 PM   #5
easyrider
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestJohn View Post
Not on my wife's laptop either, I guess it's allocated automatically. Sounds like the best thing you can do then is to upgrade to 2GB's and hope for the best.
yeah already did that from the beginning, it has a total of 2.5GB memory. I bought an extra 2GB dimm to pop in it, thinking since it was shared mem, I could allow as much as possible for the video, but it sure doesn't seem like it's working.
I'm kinda mad now, because I asked 3 guysa t the store if WoW would even run on this thing, they all said yeah, just not at high, and I am fine with not high,but this is the lowest posible settings I can ever set, and I still can't run it. They also told me there was no restocking fee, come to find out there is a 15%restocking fee so I got screwed majorly .
This is a hard elsson for me, so I pass it on, to those buying a laptop and want to play games, go for a 8600, do NOT trust in a nvidia 7000M, no matter what anyone tells you I am proven fact that it will not work as a gameing machine.

Thankyou John ofr you patience and support and attempt t helping, I do appreciate the effort and advice.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:52 PM   #6
HonestJohn
More Brains

No problem easy, good luck with it.