Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Uber_Tiny is still being judged by the masses

Default Finally....after several months of trying to upgrade!!!

Priority's, emergency, bills, and other things have haulted my attempt to purchase upgrade parts for my pc. May be a good thing though as better parts have come out since the first time I wanted to upgrade. This month, bills and such all came on perfect timings for what would make the best christmas present to my self and I think I well deserve it as I have put everything else in front of this which is something I have been wanting to get upgraded pretty badly for a long time now.

Obviously I am going to go with a Q6600 for the proc. Now I plan on upgrading the PSU as well with this. I already have a pretty good vid card (9250Gx2). So ....looking for a bit of incite on what would be best combo of parts. So, what mobo, ram, and PSU should I go for? I'm looking to get possible 4 gig of ram (2X2Gig sticks) or just 2 Gig. I'm running Win XP so 4 Gig may be over kill. But would be good for later on when other upgrades come into play.

So......give me those feelings, those sexual feelings.
Uber_Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 01:37 PM   #2
Jas420221
Banned

Jas420221 is still being judged by the masses

Congrats...

I just upgraded myself... waiting for the parts to arrive...
Jas420221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 01:52 PM   #3
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Ditch the 7950GX2 and get a better video card if gaming is your primary usage of the PC.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 11, 2007, 02:27 PM   #4
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Ditch the 7950GX2 and get a better video card if gaming is your primary usage of the PC.
Gaming is by far NOT my primary reason for the PC. It's time and I crave for change. But a new vid card is in fact a thing on the list for later updates. As for now I am focusing on the most important things.

Oh and so far the only game I can't play is Crysis. But I am pretty sure it is CPU related (running an A64 3500+)
Old Dec 11, 2007, 02:39 PM   #5
Jas420221
Banned

Jas420221 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber_Tiny View Post
Gaming is by far NOT my primary reason for the PC. It's time and I crave for change. But a new vid card is in fact a thing on the list for later updates. As for now I am focusing on the most important things.

Oh and so far the only game I can't play is Crysis. But I am pretty sure it is CPU related (running an A64 3500+)
I have same CPU with a way worse vid card and I can play on all medium 1440x900 no aa/8xaf....
Jas420221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 02:47 PM   #6
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas420221 View Post
I have same CPU with a way worse vid card and I can play on all medium 1440x900 no aa/8xaf....
Hmm, I played the Beta and demo for a short time, obviously. May get the game though for testing out the new rig when I purchase the parts in 2 weeks.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 04:51 PM   #7
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Mobo first choice right now is IP35 Pro for perfect combo of price versus performance versus features. It's the first board I recommend right now for C2D/C2Q upgrades. P35 chipset gives VERY close to same performance as X38 boards but is much cheaper.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 01:00 PM   #8
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Mobo first choice right now is IP35 Pro for perfect combo of price versus performance versus features. It's the first board I recommend right now for C2D/C2Q upgrades. P35 chipset gives VERY close to same performance as X38 boards but is much cheaper.
TY, After asking around and looking at reviews this board really looks like it will be the best choice.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 05:00 PM   #9
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Alright

Looks I will be ordering these tomorrow!!

IP35 Pro
Q6600
2Gig OCZ2N800SR2GK

Total= $505 US

Old Dec 21, 2007, 05:01 PM   #10
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Alright

IP35 Pro
Q6600
2Gig OCZ2N800SR2GK

Total= $505 US

Do consider cooling for that beastly Q6600. If it turns out to be a G0 stepping, then the more heatsink you can throw at it, the further it will go.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 05:02 PM   #11
Belarnion
Crazy Scientist

Belarnion is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Alright

IP35 Pro
Q6600
2Gig OCZ2N800SR2GK

Total= $505 US

I approve of this post.
Belarnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 05:08 PM   #12
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Quote:
Do consider cooling for that beastly Q6600. If it turns out to be a G0 stepping, then the more heatsink you can throw at it, the further it will go.
Oh yes I did forget to mention the heat sink I was going to put on the beast.

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm

Old Dec 21, 2007, 05:35 PM   #13
Arghuin
Nexus 6

Arghuin is still being judged by the masses

Looking good

Just moved to Intel myself a few days ago (system specs on the left) after using AMD-based systems for about 8 years or so straight. Pleasantly surprised with Intel is all I have to say atm.
That, and the x12 multi on the 4600 C2D rox
Arghuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 06:46 PM   #14
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Oh yes I did forget to mention the heat sink I was going to put on the beast.

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm

That's the heatsink I just changed out from. I was able to hold 3.4Ghz with decent temps on it, and could reach 3.6Ghz as well, though the temps were too much for my tastes. I moved up to a Thermalright Ultra 120 eX and it allows me to nail 3.6Ghz solid with the same kind of temps I got at 3.4Ghz on the Zalman.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 01:33 PM   #15
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Quote:
That's the heatsink I just changed out from. I was able to hold 3.4Ghz with decent temps on it, and could reach 3.6Ghz as well, though the temps were too much for my tastes. I moved up to a Thermalright Ultra 120 eX and it allows me to nail 3.6Ghz solid with the same kind of temps I got at 3.4Ghz on the Zalman.
Hmmm, only $15 more than the one I am looking at, but I don't plan on overclocking. Although your not the only person to say something about that particular heat sink. I would still like to give mine a try first then move on to others. Yes I like to test parts!!
Old Dec 22, 2007, 01:36 PM   #16
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Hmmm, only $15 more than the one I am looking at, but I don't plan on overclocking. Although your not the only person to say something about that particular heat sink. I would still like to give mine a try first then move on to others. Yes I like to test parts!!
Oh don't get me wrong in ANY way, the Zalman kicks MAJOR ass!!! It's not a bad heatsink at all. I love mine. I'm absolutely glad to have owned it. It allowed my E6600 to achieve and hold a 50% OC, unlike my previous heatsink which maxed out at 3.4Ghz for 24/7 use.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 01:43 PM   #17
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Never think your wrong

I trust your opinion, but I just like to tinker and I want to see what that heat sink can do personally.

I also plan on lapping both to get best performance possible.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 01:46 PM   #18
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Lapping does help. You may find that the Zalman doesn't need lapping though, it's amazingly flat on it's own and his a very clean finish. But by lapping my E6600 I was able to net a nice 3C degree drop on it's own. That made me pretty happy. I haven't even thought about lapping my new Q6600 yet. It passed the card trick for IHS flatness so I doubt I'd get much out of lapping this chip.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 02:39 PM   #19
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Ordered the parts

I think my debit card cried when I hit submit.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 02:42 PM   #20
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

My Mastercard & Visa cry every month or two usually...

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 03:17 PM   #21
Mmm_Beefy
Radeon Southern Islands

Mmm_Beefy is still being judged by the masses

aw you ordered aleady. was gonna say hit up clubit.com and pick up an X3220 or X3210.. incredible procs! and you can be assured you'll get a G0. where did you order from?

that zalman will do you just fine, i'm using a 9700 on my Q6600 server, and in this pc here (you can read my specs) i have the zalman 9500.
wow alow bunch of nood who dont know what the **** they talking about 1 you need to sleep atlist 8:30 hours and who the **** drinks Neutrament for break fast ? its only for help to recovery protein will not gona make you get big protein jast help you recover you muscle and you need to eat breakfast then after 2 hours drink 40 g of protein in 2 hours eat lunch then agen in 2 hours eat some frots whit yugurs or milk go to gym before work out drink some creatine i can even sogest you TRACK is the best in marke after work out rush home emedatle drink 40 grams of protein shake whit fruts bannans and some apples and strobery or some fruets that you like and then after 40 minuts eat dinner that is my single day work out and food that i eat write now iam 210 pounds 23% fat my bench is 300 for 3rep max my deadleaft is 470 punds for 4 reps max my shuads is top 28o for 8 reps

C2Q Q6600 @ 3ghz
Zalman 9700 cooler
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
4x1gig Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800
Geforce 7300 128meg
1x500gig WD Caviar
Liteon CDRW
Antec P180 case
Xubuntu 32bit

Abit IP35-E
C2Q Q6600 B3 @3ghz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro
4Gigs 2x1 Crucial Ballistix 2x1gig Corsair Valuselect
EVGA 8800 GTS 640meg
1x 250gig WD Caviar
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD/RW
Monsoon MM-700 2.1 speakers (old but man do they rock)
WinXP sp2

Windows is easier than Linux, just like crapping your pants is easier than going to the bathroom.
Fold for Rage... and women will find you sexy
Mmm_Beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 03:26 PM   #22
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Lookin' Good
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 03:40 PM   #23
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm_Beefy View Post
aw you ordered aleady. was gonna say hit up clubit.com and pick up an X3220 or X3210.. incredible procs! and you can be assured you'll get a G0. where did you order from?

that zalman will do you just fine, i'm using a 9700 on my Q6600 server, and in this pc here (you can read my specs) i have the zalman 9500.
Yeah was looking at the x3220 as well. But I figure I can always upgrade again later on and put this one into a better build for my server.

As for getting a GO stepping I matched numbers of the part I was buying before hand. If I don't get one I will be making sure I do.

Oh I bought all my parts from Newegg. Second purchase ever from them. First was a 22" Samsung LCD. I'm happy with their service so far.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 03:45 PM   #24
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Congrats man... You will LOVE that Q6600.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 06:16 PM   #25
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Quote:

Whats the clearance like between that huge north bridge heat sink and the Zalman and do you have an option of turning the fan to point up or out the back. I guess I should have asked that before ordering...
Old Dec 23, 2007, 01:29 AM   #26
Mmm_Beefy
Radeon Southern Islands

you'll have no problems with clearance what so ever, and yeah, you want it pointing out the back towards your rear exhaust..
wow alow bunch of nood who dont know what the **** they talking about 1 you need to sleep atlist 8:30 hours and who the **** drinks Neutrament for break fast ? its only for help to recovery protein will not gona make you get big protein jast help you recover you muscle and you need to eat breakfast then after 2 hours drink 40 g of protein in 2 hours eat lunch then agen in 2 hours eat some frots whit yugurs or milk go to gym before work out drink some creatine i can even sogest you TRACK is the best in marke after work out rush home emedatle drink 40 grams of protein shake whit fruts bannans and some apples and strobery or some fruets that you like and then after 40 minuts eat dinner that is my single day work out and food that i eat write now iam 210 pounds 23% fat my bench is 300 for 3rep max my deadleaft is 470 punds for 4 reps max my shuads is top 28o for 8 reps

C2Q Q6600 @ 3ghz
Zalman 9700 cooler
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Geforce 7300 128meg
1x500gig WD Caviar
Liteon CDRW
Antec P180 case
Xubuntu 32bit

Abit IP35-E
C2Q Q6600 B3 @3ghz
EVGA 8800 GTS 640meg
1x 250gig WD Caviar
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD/RW
WinXP sp2

Windows is easier than Linux, just like crapping your pants is easier than going to the bathroom.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:26 AM   #27
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Quote:
you'll have no problems with clearance what so ever, and yeah, you want it pointing out the back towards your rear exhaust..
Great to know!!

Now it's a waiting game for delivery.

Purchased on a Sat 22, finished going through newegg stuff on Sun23. Finally sent out on it's way here Wed 26th....

Still in route to the drop off here in Portland....then it will come to me. Bahhhh the suspense is killing me!
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:40 AM   #28
Mmm_Beefy
Radeon Southern Islands

holidays aside.. when i order i allow for an upgrade in shipping.. maybe not next day deliver (only if i have to like my video card purchase) but i usually try and do 2 day shipping.

keep us posted!

cheers

C2Q Q6600 @ 3ghz
Zalman 9700 cooler
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Geforce 7300 128meg
1x500gig WD Caviar
Liteon CDRW
Antec P180 case
Xubuntu 32bit

Abit IP35-E
C2Q Q6600 B3 @3ghz
EVGA 8800 GTS 640meg
1x 250gig WD Caviar
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD/RW
WinXP sp2

Old Dec 28, 2007, 01:55 PM   #29
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Great to know!!

Now it's a waiting game for delivery.

Purchased on a Sat 22, finished going through newegg stuff on Sun23. Finally sent out on it's way here Wed 26th....

Still in route to the drop off here in Portland....then it will come to me. Bahhhh the suspense is killing me!
I hate the waiting game. If at all possible I usually hope Fry's here in town has what I want. But that's just not always possible so even with a Fry's locally I still have to order online many times, and then the wait. But I love it when the waiting pays off with yummy goodies. And sometimes the waiting game has unexpected luck boosts. Like when I ordered my Q6600 through Circuit City online, wasn't expecting it till that thursday or even possibly friday and it arrived on tuesday instead. Turned out, they shipped it out somehow on a sunday instead of waiting till tuesday to ship like I thought they were.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 02:14 PM   #30
Uber_Tiny
WTF DID I STEP IN

Quote:
I hate the waiting game. If at all possible I usually hope Fry's here in town has what I want. But that's just not always possible so even with a Fry's locally I still have to order online many times, and then the wait. But I love it when the waiting pays off with yummy goodies. And sometimes the waiting game has unexpected luck boosts. Like when I ordered my Q6600 through Circuit City online, wasn't expecting it till that thursday or even possibly friday and it arrived on tuesday instead. Turned out, they shipped it out somehow on a sunday instead of waiting till tuesday to ship like I thought they were.
Well, I ordered it on a Sat and it say's the billing info was sent to UPS on the 23rd and nothing was done till the 26th kinda actually made me a little mad because I know UPS was working on Christmas eve. But it shows up that it was finally picked up and on it's way to here on the 26th. It's now the 28th and it still has yet to get here. A travel distance of almost 1000 miles (Southern Cali to Northern Oregon) shouldn't take more than 2 days to get here. I figure I won't get this today (/cry) but the expected delivery date is the 2nd. IMO that's not acceptable.

I want my stuff dammit
/rant