Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 8, 2010, 05:24 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The test system is running MSSE, fully patched, with no special disabled services or programs.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 05:45 PM   #92
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Thanks for this review. Techreport is lagging in their review of the same thing. It was nice to see rage3d scooping them with this review.

This cpu looks really good even though it gets beat by the i7 in some areas, it's still a very strong contender. Makes me optimistic for AMD's next generation hardware due next year.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 06:09 PM   #93
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 9, 2010, 01:09 AM   #94
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
The ONLY market segment I could in good concience reccomend the X6 series to is those who simply want a six-core CPU but only have ~$200 to spend. For that it is a perfect fit, but for those expecting raw power I am still going with the i7/i5/i3.
I do 3d rendering (actually not too much lately) here the X6 looks rather good. Now the other stuff does seems weaker then Intel. With Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge around the corner I just have a hard time wanting to upgrade my Q6600. My biggest beaf is I have only one 16x PCIx slot .
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 01:22 AM   #95
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
I do 3d rendering (actually not too much lately) here the X6 looks rather good. Now the other stuff does seems weaker then Intel. With Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge around the corner I just have a hard time wanting to upgrade my Q6600. My biggest beaf is I have only one 16x PCIx slot .
So is it faster than a i7 920 or 930 then?

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 02:02 AM   #96
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
So is it faster than a i7 920 or 930 then?
If you read the reviews, the 1100T trades punches with the i7 950. And that's a key point - Intel consolidated their i7 Bloomfield with the i7 950, eliminating the i7 930 which was the 1090T's target. The introduction of the 1100T brings on the bit more HP needed to combat Intel's i7 950.

Is it faster? Again, it trades punches. Depending on your primary uses, you may find that its faster or slower, perhaps significantly so depending on the app/game. Its certainly not a Bloomfield killer, but it is a very good processor that hits the price/performance equation quite well. Those looking for more bang/buck should look to the 1090T, or even the 1055T. However, with Sandy Bridge just around the corner - certainly is tempting to wait.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:07 PM   #97
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Power consumption would have been niice. Looking @ another review, the 1100T runs at about [email protected]
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 01:40 PM   #98
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorXtar View Post
Power consumption would have been niice. Looking @ another review, the 1100T runs at about [email protected]
Yes, I had planned to do power numbers but ran out of time with the unexpected arrival of the GTX 570 for me to review as well, plus I had some consistency issues; sorry, I just ran out of time. Hopefully I'll get to come back and do the benchmarks in the near future to add in.

Last edited by caveman-jim : Dec 9, 2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: the one time Lupine catches a typo...
Old Dec 9, 2010, 02:51 PM   #99
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Yes, I had planned to do power numbers but ran out of time with the unexpected arrival of the GTX 570 for me to review as well, plus I had some consistency issues; sorry, I just ran out of time. Hopefully I'll get to come back and do the benchmarks in the near future to add in.
Oooooh! Thats gonna be nice!

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
Old Dec 9, 2010, 02:57 PM   #100
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Look at this review that compares a 3.8ghz 920 to a 3.8ghz 1090T. I'll have to take back a few of the disappointments about AMD. It looks pretty good in this review.

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/r..._1090T_15.html

Old Dec 9, 2010, 03:02 PM   #101
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Oooooh! Thats gonna be nice!

Yes it is
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:14 AM   #102
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Look at this review that compares a 3.8ghz 920 to a 3.8ghz 1090T. I'll have to take back a few of the disappointments about AMD. It looks pretty good in this review.

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/r..._1090T_15.html
Not bad at all from AMD. This is really the time for me to upgrade my CPU/MB/Memory etc.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:59 AM   #103
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I didn't get a chance to run @ 3.8 GHz with a higher HT / NB bus speed, but one would expect several percent increase in performance by doing so.
This quote from the OCing section somewhat tones down those results though as the equally clocked AMD only won the categories it did win by a few points... meaning a well OC'ed 920 would likely have picked up a few more wins. But even with the i7 920 slightly faster across the board AMD is in better position than I thought before.

Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:22 AM   #104
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
This quote from the OCing section somewhat tones down those results though as the equally clocked AMD only won the categories it did win by a few points... meaning a well OC'ed 920 would likely have picked up a few more wins. But even with the i7 920 slightly faster across the board AMD is in better position than I thought before.
I think you are reading that wrong, seems to me they are attributing a slight favoring in the test as is towards Intel because of the entire sub system being overclocked vs just the CPU alone with the AMD, hence AMD would of performed a slight bit better if overclocked in a similar fashion.

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote