Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old May 29, 2013, 02:12 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Verizons S3 update just hit.

Bunch of fixes, ui tweaks, additions to camera and multi-window (which I just finished messing with and its pretty cool), etc.
Oh and Verizon was kind enough to add Flipboard to their bloat arsenal

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...t-major-update
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

It's nice to see Verizon getting these updates out the door faster. God that UI is horrendous though.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

My GF likes hers stock with icons and **** all over the place. It would drive me crazy, thus why I use Nova.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 29, 2013, 08:21 PM   #4
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Going to be interesting to see how these Google versions of flagships do.
Seems that these adapted versions of android are more of a detriment then added appeal as the intent is.
Better to ship with the vanilla, so the user can get updates as they come out, and then I suppose they could make their own UI available as home and lockscreen replacers to the relevant models on Play Store or their own app stores or whatever.
Or just leave it as is and people will get Nova or whatnot to suit their own tastes.

Also carriers modifying stuff like that and gatekeeping updates are pure nonsense.
Seems like another detriment to their offering, without any real benefits.
I mean this update for the S3 came out in November 2012 or something right?
Old May 29, 2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle View Post
Going to be interesting to see how these Google versions of flagships do.
Seems that these adapted versions of android are more of a detriment then added appeal as the intent is.
Better to ship with the vanilla, so the user can get updates as they come out, and then I suppose they could make their own UI available as home and lockscreen replacers to the relevant models on Play Store or their own app stores or whatever.
Or just leave it as is and people will get Nova or whatnot to suit their own tastes.

Also carriers modifying stuff like that and gatekeeping updates are pure nonsense.
Seems like another detriment to their offering, without any real benefits.
I mean this update for the S3 came out in November 2012 or something right?
This is one of the reasons I'm considering going back to apple. I'm so sick of this nonsense with carrier updates and manufacturer ui's.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 06:48 AM   #6
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
This is one of the reasons I'm considering going back to apple. I'm so sick of this nonsense with carrier updates and manufacturer ui's.
You could get a nexus device, or a Samsung S4/HTC one google edition - they all ship with latest android and updates are handled by google.

http://blog.htc.com/2013/05/htc-one-...perience/?gb25
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 07:17 AM   #7
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yeah that was my point with the previous post, if the Google versions of the flagship (S3, One, and whatever else comes out) phones does better then their own versions, that should send a clear message that they´re customization are actually deterrents to purchases and not incentives.
The attempts to differentiate themselves is more a negative impact then a positive one.
I was looking hard at a nexus before I got the S3, but the lack of SD card was the dealbreaker on that.

The adaptability still allows people to get another launcher and never use the one you´ve made to "differentiate" yourself with anyway, and a lot of people like to customize their stuff, so the benefit of shipping with vanilla android seems fairly obvious all around.