Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old May 30, 2007, 09:46 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Monitor Is their a way to fix a dead pixel?

ya, I think I may know the answer, but can't hurt to ask.

I have just ONE dead pixel on the left the mid side of my 22 inch monitor. It stays red no matter what.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

I've heard that on some hand-held devices, like the PSP, dead pixels can occasionally be "shocked" back into functionality by running a program that repeatedly flash-cycles the display through pure green, pure blue, and pure red.

- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 10:22 AM   #3
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Thats a stuck pixel. Dead pixels are just that. Dead.

Try a pixel fixer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 30, 2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
Thats a stuck pixel. Dead pixels are just that. Dead. Try a pixel fixer.
I'll bite... What is a "pixel fixer?"

- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 10:55 AM   #5
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
I'll bite... What is a "pixel fixer?"
Just like you mentioned on the PSP. I found one that runs on java, and instead of just using solid colors, it changes the colors randomly of each pixel by itself, making a static effect. It was quite effective anytime Ive needed it.
Quote:
Old May 30, 2007, 11:31 AM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I've heard of people massaging their panels to get the pixel to change... don't know if thats effective or even a good idea.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 11:34 AM   #7
Jas420221
Banned

Jas420221 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
I've heard of people massaging their panels to get the pixel to change... don't know if thats effective or even a good idea.
Shouldnt that be posted in off topic? Massaging their panels....

Yeah look up pixel fixer on google, you should find a proggy that will flash through the colors/on/off to get it to snap out of it...
Jas420221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 11:47 AM   #8
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

Quote:
I have one panel in particular thats was a problem. One pixel was just dead and wouldnt come back. So I tried the massaging thing, and after a while I ended up pressing on it pretty hard.

Didnt hurt anything, as I guess I didnt press hard enough for permanent damage or anything, but it didnt wake it up either.
Quote:
Old May 30, 2007, 12:50 PM   #9
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

I had one stuck pixel and was able to massage it out with no ill effects, so it can work at least it did for me.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 06:54 PM   #10
eatyour1337ies
Orgy-porgy gives release

eatyour1337ies is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitoR View Post
I had one stuck pixel and was able to massage it out with no ill effects, so it can work at least it did for me.
Same here with a Tosh notebook, had a stuck red subpixel about one inch to the west and two inches south of center. I used a q-tip (a.k.a. cotton swab) to "roll" over the pixel so the screen wasn't scratched. Rubbing with a cloth did not work prior to this though. Rolling the q-tip with graduating pressure made that sucker disappear never to be heard from in about 15 seconds.

OTOH my Samsung 17" had a blue subpixel about one inch from the left border in the middle and I was not able to repair it using the same method. I figure it's so tiny (dot pitch) that the pressure was too spread out or perhaps Samsung used a different layering of crystal, IDK. Luckily it wasn't as annoying as the red on the notebook. Happy to report my Samsung 22" doesn't have a single stuck pixel

Found a java based "fixer" possibly mentioned above.

Last edited by eatyour1337ies : May 30, 2007 at 06:58 PM.
eatyour1337ies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2007, 02:43 AM   #11
lanzemurdok
Radeon R200

lanzemurdok is still being judged by the masses

i had a red stuck pixel and i was going crazy too..

so i read on wikipedia.org about dead and stuck pixels... one of the recommendations to get rid of the red stuck pixel was to poke it, so I did. I poked it with my nail and it went away right away. it wasn't a hard poke, just a precise one, little bit of pressure and presto.

AIW Radeon 9700 Pro

That's all you need to know about my system.
lanzemurdok is offline   Reply With Quote