Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:53 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
jjyiz28
Radeon 9700 Pro

jjyiz28 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjjyiz28 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default what is with some job apps asking for photo picture along w/resume?

hiring only pretty people? a way to hire based on race? they don't want anyone dorky looking? lolzz
jjyiz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:01 PM   #2
slaWter
Radeon R700

slaWter is still being judged by the masses

That's normal procedure here.
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 # Intel Core i7 2.7GHz # 16GB DDR3 1600MHz # nVidia 650M 1024MB # Samsung 830 768GB SATA 3.0 & 512GB USB 3.0 # 27" LED Cinema Display
Fileserver Intel Core i3 530 1.2GHz # 4GB DDR3 1333MHz # Intel X25-V G2 40GB, WDC Scorpio 250GB # 16TB RAID 6 + 24TB RAID 6 # Adaptec RAID 5405 w/ Chenbro CK12804 SAS Expander # Norco RPC 4220
slaWter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

Most likely so they don't waste their time interviewing someone who looks like this:

name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Sundance Kid V2
Your daddy!

Sundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perky McGiggles View Post
Most likely so they don't waste their time interviewing someone who looks like this:

Sundance Kid V2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:55 PM   #5
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjyiz28 View Post
hiring only pretty people? a way to hire based on race? they don't want anyone dorky looking? lolzz
I think it's illegal up here. So what if they ask, take a good pic, send it in.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:12 PM   #6
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Location: Manches All hail king Dave, ruler of all Manchesville
JohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I cannot agree with this, there are way too many variables where this could be used to discriminate against another person.

I'm a private person and I do not give up my liberties easily, especially based upon some bullshit corporate hr policy. If this were a requirement I would not even apply in the first place, hell I may even apply just so I could drag them over the coals.

I could see this as a requirement for some kind of photo-shoot/modelling vacancy etc but beyond that I do not see what purpose that this has apart from unjust discrimination.

I cannot believe that some of you guys accept this, no offence meant there by the way, this sort of thing just happens to be something that I feel strongly about. I feel that all of our liberties are being eroded and that we are just sitting back as a people letting the land slip in the name of what ever happens to be flavour of the week.

I may be the catalyst that drives this thread to p+r... apologies for that.
JohnEJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:15 PM   #7
IamHere
Banned

IamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEJohn View Post
I cannot agree with this, there are way too many variables where this could be used to discriminate against another person.

I'm a private person and I do not give up my liberties easily, especially based upon some bullshit corporate hr policy. If this were a requirement I would not even apply in the first place, hell I may even apply just so I could drag them over the coals.

I could see this as a requirement for some kind of photo-shoot/modelling vacancy etc but beyond that I do not see what purpose that this has apart from unjust discrimination.

I cannot believe that some of you guys accept this, no offence meant there by the way, this sort of thing just happens to be something that I feel strongly about. I feel that all of our liberties are being eroded and that we are just sitting back as a people letting the land slip in the name of what ever happens to be flavour of the week.

I may be the catalyst that drives this thread to p+r... apologies for that.

Any job that has public exposure, the employer should be able to vet the apperence of the potential employee. Otherwise you would end up with the dude in the pic above.
IamHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:31 PM   #8
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

JohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Any job that has public exposure, the employer should be able to vet the apperence of the potential employee. Otherwise you would end up with the dude in the pic above.
I understand what you are saying there and in a few isolated instances I can see what you are getting at. The problem with that however is how do you define what is a publicly exposed role, given the rise of technological evolution of many types of industry it could be argued that many roles that were not traditionally public facing are now in fact out in the open.

The problem is, when you open the door... where does it stop?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:34 PM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

If you're gonna get the job, you'll meet them face to face anyway. If they hire based on factors including your appearance, you've no different chance for getting hired or not.

However, prospective employees should ask 'what is this image used for, how is it stored, whom has access and when will it be removed from your storage?'
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:47 PM   #10
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
If you're gonna get the job, you'll meet them face to face anyway. If they hire based on factors including your appearance, you've no different chance for getting hired or not.

'
The problem with this is that somebody could look completely outrageous or on the other side of the spectrum may have some type of handicap. The person in question could be denied the prospect of gaining an interview based upon how a potential employer viewed their cv and photo before an actual interview took place, negatively discriminating against them.

In an actual interview you may find that someone who you may dismiss at face value is in fact the more qualified person for the job... again apologies for the p+r shenanigans.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:12 PM   #11
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perky McGiggles View Post

[IMG]http://***********************/instances/400x/24363872.jpg[/IMG]

Welcome to the Facebook world of the Social Network movie... go and light a candle and kneel to your new world order god Mark Zuckerberg.

"Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
If anything there's just still too many guilible people in the fanbase willing to accept this garbage star wars disney/Kennedy edition."

Helghast... till the end of days!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxcT6LEVzk Disney Star Wars SUCKS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V

Last edited by Akumajo : Aug 23, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Akumajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:17 PM   #12
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
At the pre-interview stage, it's prejudiced unless you're applying for a public-facing job where image is a key requisite (like an actor). A low-end McJob or anything corporate should not require a headshot to be submitted with your resume.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:21 PM   #13
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
At the pre-interview stage, it's prejudiced unless you're applying for a public-facing job where image is a key requisite (like an actor). A low-end McJob or anything corporate should not require a headshot to be submitted with your resume.
Exactly
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:29 PM   #14
IamHere
Banned

IamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Fine, tat your face up and don't give them a pic if they ask. See how many interviews you get.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:32 PM   #15
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Quote:
Fine, tat your face up and don't give them a pic if they ask. See how many interviews you get.
You truly cannot see the can of worms that practices like these encourage to be opened and abused??
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:35 PM   #16
IamHere
Banned

Quote:
You truly cannot see the can of worms that practices like these encourage to be opened and abused??
I am all for those too dumb to leave their faces alone to not work/reproduce.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:42 PM   #17
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Quote:
I am all for those too dumb to leave their faces alone to not work/reproduce.
Not even talking about someone with a tattooed face here, say a prospective employer does not like the look of someone's face based upon their high cheek bones or a wart on their face so they do not give them an interview.

I know it sounds absurd but this is the door that you open by brining in these types of invasions of privacy.

Going to sleep now,,, damn time zones.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:46 PM   #18
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Hi dupe account troll, please learn to read before posting. I already said to do it, I am now pointing out that it's a stupid practice.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:49 PM   #19
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Not even talking about someone with a tattooed face here, say a prospective employer does not like the look of someone's face based upon their high cheek bones or a wart on their face so they do not give them an interview.

I know it sounds absurd but this is the door that you open by brining in these types of invasions of privacy.

Going to sleep now,,, damn time zones.
I wouldn't be so concerned about the invasion of privacy, they're going to see your face regardless. I'd be more concerned about what kind of employer makes decisions about people based simply on how photogenic they are (again, if personal appearance isn't key to your job).

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:12 PM   #20
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
The problem with this is that somebody could look completely outrageous or on the other side of the spectrum may have some type of handicap. The person in question could be denied the prospect of gaining an interview based upon how a potential employer viewed their cv and photo before an actual interview took place, negatively discriminating against them.

In an actual interview you may find that someone who you may dismiss at face value is in fact the more qualified person for the job... again apologies for the p+r shenanigans.
Quote:
If you walk in for interview and are unsuccessful, or submit resume and headshot and are unsuccessful, what's the difference?

You'd have to prove prejudice in both circumstances, and to what end? Getting hired by a company that behaves illegally? Unless you've got money to burn on an expensive law suit and expose investigation, you're on a hiding to nothing.

I think if you dig deeper, they're using headshots for face searches on social networking sites, see where you turn up and what you're doing. Now that is worth worrying about.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:36 PM   #21
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

Any employer that asks for a picture is opening themselves up to EO claims assuming they aren't places that legitimately need headshots.

That being said - we use pics (you have to submit a passport photo) to facilitate checking social networking sites and to help out the DSS/PI for security clearance stuff.
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:16 PM   #22
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
If you walk in for interview and are unsuccessful, or submit resume and headshot and are unsuccessful, what's the difference?
Difference is you actually get a shot at speaking for yourself at the interview. Yes, most prejudice can't be reasoned against, but some cases can be turned in your favor if you're given the opportunity.

Friend of the ex who is an older lady was met shock when she showed up at her last interview (entry level position in a new career for her). Told right off the bat they would have never considered her had they known her age. She took it in stride, wowed them with her interview and really changed some preconceptions at that workplace. She beat out a dozen other young candidates and has been there almost a year now and loves it. Think of the system where her face would have automatically filtered her out because of agism.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:49 PM   #23
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

I'd think it would be so they can know they are looking at the right facebook page. "Yep, that's him!"

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:35 PM   #24
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
I'd think it would be so they can know they are looking at the right facebook page. "Yep, that's her!"
Fixed!

This is probably closer to the truth... there are old pre-internet rumors about certain people when being hired depending on the workplace... would end up being placed in highly visible places or the other extreme being placed in window-less places.

Then again those are very old rumors and hiring based on looks or youth sounds like grounds for major lawsuits but then again how do you end up finding out unless you actually work there and these days with people losing their jobs left and right you gotta wonder.

"Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
If anything there's just still too many guilible people in the fanbase willing to accept this garbage star wars disney/Kennedy edition."

Helghast... till the end of days!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxcT6LEVzk Disney Star Wars SUCKS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V
Akumajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:54 AM   #25
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
Any employer that asks for a picture is opening themselves up to EO claims assuming they aren't places that legitimately need headshots.

That being said - we use pics (you have to submit a passport photo) to facilitate checking social networking sites and to help out the DSS/PI for security clearance stuff.
YOu use pics to actively search networking websites? Yeah, glad I probably will never apply to your workplace

I have to agree with John here though. No reason to need a picture unless your job will be in the public eye.
Adanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:00 AM   #26
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanu View Post
YOu use pics to actively search networking websites? Yeah, glad I probably will never apply to your workplace
Me too.
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:17 AM   #27
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwards

I've been putting my ugly mugshot on my resume for years now. I figured it helps to have a familiar face when applying for a job. And if they decide to not even invite me for an application based on how I look... Time saved.