Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jan 6, 2022, 05:11 PM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Air Link (unless its been updated since I tried last) is a pain because you have to enable it in your oculus app on your pc, and it resets to non-air link every 24 hours. It's a very annoying extra step. They should always have both Link and Air Link ready to go, just depending on whether you have a usb cable plugged in or not. Also, video quality is significantly inferior to Virtual Desktop. Virtual Desktop is easier & better... although there's still some games that don't boot properly with VD.

Ideally how it should work is this: You click on a game in your Quest library, then if your gaming PC is turned on, near by, and meets the requirements for that game, it boots up the PC version over Air Link, otherwise it falls back to the Quest version. The user shouldn't even have to think about it. I know that's alot to ask for, but one can dream, right?
Its been updated, once paired it stays paired until an update to the device or the PC app happens, and it doesn't disable after 24 hours.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2022, 05:13 PM   #182
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badges

So...

DecaGear has a headset that's coming out some day that includes face tracking. They've got this video that's supposed to showcase how natural and realistic their face tracking is, but geez this is some serious uncanny-valley and terrible vocals.

Also love that at the end she touches her boobs while saying "You've never played with anything like this"

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2022, 06:24 PM   #183
CyanBlues
Radeon Southern Islands

CyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
So...

DecaGear has a headset that's coming out some day that includes face tracking. They've got this video that's supposed to showcase how natural and realistic their face tracking is, but geez this is some serious uncanny-valley and terrible vocals.

Also love that at the end she touches her boobs while saying "You've never played with anything like this"

https://twitter.com/sadlyitsbradley/...482677252?s=21 it's probably DOA/vaporware
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 6, 2022, 08:39 PM   #184
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanBlues View Post
I think we can find a way to live without it.

Actually imo the most exciting thing DecaGear was rumored to be working on was a steambox-like box that would render VR games and wirelessly broadcast them to the headset ... basically exactly what I described in my earlier post. I do think there's an opportunity for someone to make something like that, targeted toward usage with the Quest 2.

They also have announced a wireless module called the DecaAir, which they said would cost only $50.

Who knows which of those products will actually launch, but they had some cool ideas. I have one of the DecaMove units. It's neat. I'd use it alot more if it had native support for Quest games.

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt

Last edited by SubCog : Jan 6, 2022 at 10:25 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 07:42 PM   #185
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

come on, yall know you want one

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...le/description

and check out this comment:

Now it makes sense why it looks the way it looks

The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2022, 07:59 PM   #186
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old Jan 13, 2022, 09:08 PM   #187
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
come on, yall know you want one

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...le/description

and check out this comment:

Now it makes sense why it looks the way it looks

His response is super professional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2022, 09:56 PM   #188
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

It's a cool idea, but you won't be able to crouch behind anything to take cover. I'm also super worried he's going to hit his head on that pipe if he jumps.

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old Jan 14, 2022, 07:08 AM   #189
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwards

$4 pledged.

Man, I appreciate the idea, but what a dumb thing to try and market. Meant to make VR more accessible? I'd have to DRILL into my CONCRETE upper floor. Not sure where I'd even start getting this into the attic, where I usually do my VR'ing. No thank you.

But really, cool solution for him.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 08:55 PM   #190
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

I'm thinking about this guys. But I have a question...

If I go with the Oculus Q2 to connect to my PC (essentially as a monitor) what will I be missing out on with the more expensive VR sets?
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:59 PM   #191
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post

If I go with the Oculus Q2 to connect to my PC (essentially as a monitor) what will I be missing out on with the more expensive VR sets?
There's headsets with wider FOVs. That's the only real compromise, imo.

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:13 AM   #192
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:

Mostly I think resolution, FOV and some tracking which in my opinion are very minor things especially when you consider price and the flexibility of no cables.

For example, a lot of people hated Doom VR, but I LOVED IT. However that game (and Skyrim) made me stop playing VR because I would just get tangled on my CV1's cables and it got real annoying. So I am not getting back into VR unless I get a wireless headset. There's an ultra-expensive one that is supposedly coming out this year that (apparently) has near biological resolution and will have wireless support. If that's the case (and my business takes off) I will get that one for sure.

I apparently have a high tolerance for VR nausea because I never experienced it with Doom VR, Skyrim, Earth VR, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:22 AM   #193
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwards

Quote:

A Quest 2 as a monitor? You mean to just do desktop stuff with, not gaming? I can't say I'd immediately recommend that, because I think the resolution is too low and wearing a headset for non-awesome things is far too uncomfortable.

But compared to other HMDs, yeah, you'd be "missing" out on a slightly higher FOV, slightly higher resolution, slightly better tracking... Though in reality, I wonder how much of that would be noticeable.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:09 AM   #194
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Wired headsets will also have better clarity at the same resolution and better color accuracy since you are not watching a compressed video stream.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:34 PM   #195
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete strangermizzer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonha View Post
A Quest 2 as a monitor? You mean to just do desktop stuff with, not gaming? I can't say I'd immediately recommend that, because I think the resolution is too low and wearing a headset for non-awesome things is far too uncomfortable.

But compared to other HMDs, yeah, you'd be "missing" out on a slightly higher FOV, slightly higher resolution, slightly better tracking... Though in reality, I wonder how much of that would be noticeable.
I meant using the headset while connected to my PC.

After looking at other sets ($1000+) I’m not sure the slightly better everything is worth the premium.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:36 PM   #196
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

It's not, the quest is good enough.

It's not the most comfortable headset though, you might want to invest in a third party head strap.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2022, 01:16 PM   #197
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Fact is, right now the Quest 2 is pretty much it. It's the obvious choice, with no real competition on features or value.

You can get a much more expensive headset, but they're going to have severe compromises compared to the Quest. We're sitting at the very end of the life-cycle for this generation of PC headsets, and I really think it would be a mistake to blow $1,000 on something that's just not going to last long.

Within the next year, I expect we'll see MUCH better PC headsets in that price range. Thinner, lighter, better screens, better features (inside-out tracking is amazing), eye tracking, and likely WIRELESS. If someone said they have $1,000 to blow on a PC headset, I really would recommend they just wait.

Just buy a Quest 2 to hold you over, until a really compelling high-end headset launches. btw, it'll likely be Cambria.

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt

Last edited by SubCog : Jan 15, 2022 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 05:06 PM   #198
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

Thanks for the feedback my dudes.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 09:47 PM   #199
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

I mean, I just dumped 1k on a new setup (vive pro2, knuckles, and lighthouses), but it was exactly what I wanted based on years experience with thr CV1 and playing with my dads Rift S. Wider highres FOV, external tracking, etc. Etc.

For a first use headset, quest is hard to beat.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote