Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Feb 12, 2001, 01:54 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lemuel

Lemuel is still being judged by the masses

Question

Hoi guys,

what about the power consumtion of the Radeon SDR?
I have a Biostar M6VBE motherboard and 145 watts power supply.
My system was not capable of supplying a GeForce256 SDR with enough power, I was happy, when the PC ran for 10 seconds in windows before it hang.
A Voodoo3 2000 didn't either. But I could start UT, but while displaying the intro my computer came to a halt.

I read a test where it said that the Radeon needs 12 Watt 2D and 25 Watt when in 3D mode. How much is that compared to a V3? My TNT2Pro runs without problems.

Thank you in advance,

Lemuel
Old Feb 12, 2001, 02:08 PM   #2
Ogreboy
Computer: 2000 dollars, Internet: 40 dollars, Getting owned by an Admin after crashing his computer with a stupid link = Priceless

Ogreboy is still being judged by the masses

What other hardware you have in there? you can pretty much add up to do the math, i suppose
Old Feb 13, 2001, 08:51 AM   #3
Lemuel

The problem is that I don't know how much power my other devices consume.

I have 2 harddisks (5400 rpm),
a Creative SB Live!Player 1024,
a SiS 900 chipset 10/100 MBit/s NIC,
a 40x noname CD-ROM,
256 MB RAM (the time I tried the GeForce I had 128 MB)
and sometimes a Fritzcard PCI ISDN card.
The peripheral scanner, modem and ZIP shouldn't draw some power. The USB printer should not too.

But just adding up does not necessarily do it because with 300W the GeForce still refused to work properly.

Thanks,

Lemuel
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 13, 2001, 09:03 AM   #4
Mr_Belowski
Radeon R300

Mr_Belowski is still being judged by the masses

Is that 145W sustained or peak?

My 300W supply gives out 160W sustained, and it runs great with my Radeon 64, KA7-100, 256MB ram, and lots of other stuff sucking it's juice (!)

If it just says 145W on the back of the PSU the chances are it's a very feeble unit - most will say the max power output (like 300W in my case). If it's a standard ATX it should be easy to swap it for a new one. They aren't expensive, and a decent 250W should be plently to drive that rig.

Sorry this doesn't answer you question - I just don't know the power consumption of gfx cards. But really, either the PSU is OK and there's something else causing the crashing (bios settings etc - check the Radeon FAQs and other stuff on this site), the PSU is just lame, or the AGP slot is badly underpowered - if that's the case you'll need to invest in a new Mobo. What brand / chipset is the Mobo?
Old Feb 13, 2001, 11:37 AM   #5
Ogreboy
Computer: 2000 dollars, Internet: 40 dollars, Getting owned by an Admin after crashing his computer with a stupid link = Priceless

Ogreboy is still being judged by the masses

I know I once read a page that talked about powersupplies, cases and how many watts each part of hardware consumed, but I can't remember where for the life of me. I'd suggest you do what Mr. Belowski says. It can only be good for the long run.
Old Feb 13, 2001, 11:49 AM   #6
SirXcalibur
Admin in Shining Armour

SirXcalibur is still being judged by the masses

I would agree with the above 2. Just get a new power supply. For instance, i just picked up a nice 350W dual fan power supply at lunch today for 59$ canadian. You can get a 250W for like 35$.
Old Feb 14, 2001, 10:21 AM   #7
Lemuel

The Mobo chipset is an Via Apollo Pro. The board was originally made for the PII and only has AGPx2.

The problem is, that the other possible GraCa is the Hercules MX which needs less power. I'll try a friends one tomorrow. If the MX runs, it would be cheaper than a Radeon + PSU.
Without the Radeon is about DEM 40 (USD 18) cheaper, a PSU costs DEM 80 (USD 30)

The long run could end in a new case to use the old PC too, so I won't need a PSU for that.

Lemuel
Old Feb 14, 2001, 10:52 AM   #8
Mr_Belowski
Radeon R300

Mr_Belowski is still being judged by the masses

Unhappy

Well, if it's a Radeon or an MX....

I know I'm not going to make many friends for saying this, but unless you've got a really nice monitor, I don't think the better image quality of the Radeon is going to worth the extra cash.

MXs are not without their problems, but they are no more troublesome that the Radeons, and an MX should be considerably faster than a 32MB SDR radeon. I got a 64MB DDR Radeon and it's about the same speed as my mate's 32MB MX - but I use 32bit and he uses 16 bit (both running in Athlon rigs).

The Radeon makes prettier images, but the MX's image quality is still pretty good (although you'll be limited to 16-bit, but then again, I'm not sure if the SDR radeon can handle 32-bit anyway, and the 16-bit image quality of all the Radeons is awful).

My advice? You'll get the most speed & stability if you buy a Geforce MX and a decent PSU.

Sorry if i piss anyone off with this, I don't hate my Radeon, but the simple fact is that the MX is much better value for money.
Old Feb 14, 2001, 07:31 PM   #9
MustangSVT
Radeon R300

MustangSVT is still being judged by the masses

i disagree. with the price of Radeon LE. MX is not even a match. No reason to get MX. LE is faster, cheaper and is better quality. GL
Old Feb 15, 2001, 04:16 PM   #10
Lemuel

I tried the MX and the only problem was that it didn't really fit in my case. But anyway there was enough contact to work.

The colors were wonderful, the image quality was slightly better (was an Asus 7100) and no power problems.
Tried UT where I didn't notice any speed differences and even there was only a step in fastest from 50 to 59 fps.
No big deal any way.

So my Mobo seems to limit the Graca's power. Or my PIII 500.

I haven't seen prices for the LE in Germany yet. Seems that I have to wait a bit.

BTW, is the LE capable of running at faster clock speeds?

Lemuel