Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 29, 2021, 11:06 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default We've officially entered the era of shipping gaming pc's without the GPU

Quote:
Fierce PC, a boutique builder in the UK, has launched a line of 'No GPU' gaming desktops that ship with every part of a PC build except the most critical component for gaming, that being a graphics card. The idea is that you can install your own GPU, whether you already own one, or are lucky enough to find a standalone graphics card in stock somewhere.

"Introducing our range of systems, ready for you to install your own graphics card. This range of systems is not supplied with a graphics card and without a graphics card will not boot up. We ask customers to keep this in mind when ordering from this range," Fierce PC states.

Fierce PC's new line of GPU-less systems (via Overclock3D) range in starting price from £560 to £900 (around $775 to $1,245 in US currency). The least expensive build is a Micro-ATX systems with an Intel Core i5 9400F processor, Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 all-in-one cooler, MSI H310M Pro-VDH Plus motherboard, 8GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 RAM, 240GB WD Green SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, and 600W PSU (80 Plus Bronze).

In addition to lacking a GPU, there's no operating system either—adding Windows 10 costs £90. All three baseline configurations can be customized to an extent, you just can't select a GPU with these particular builds (Fierce PC sells other system configurations with various graphics cards).

The timing of the launch is likely not a coincidence, as system builders find themselves dealing with the same GPU shortage as DIY builders. Worse yet, there is evidence to suggest the GPU shortage isn't improving anytime soon.

"Our overall capacity has not been able to keep up with that overall strong demand that we have seen," Nvidia CFO Collette Kress said in January. "We’ve seen in terms of constraints, constraints really from the overall global surge of compute and the overall capacity, capacity that may be necessary for assembly and test and/or sub trades as well. But again, we remain focused on this and working each day to improve our overall supply situation."

Looking at all the ways the world is trying to deal with the GPU shortage, selling prebuilt gaming PCs without a graphics card is akin to waving the white flag in surrender to an untenable situation.

That said, Fierce PC has not come right out and said the thin availability of GPUs is the reason for the new GPU-less desktop line. That's perhaps because the situation speaks for itself.

https://www.pcgamer.com/weve-officia...graphics-card/
It's almost looking like this is the new normal and companies are starting to adapt accordingly.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2021, 11:40 AM   #2
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

That's an expensive paper weight.

On the plus side, the cost ought to be substantially lower.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2021, 11:49 AM   #3
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

That’s pretty stupid.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 29, 2021, 12:29 PM   #4
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Not stupid, I was just looking through pre-builts without a 3080 to see what prices are since I have the 3080 already. 5900x are still hard to find too.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2021, 12:43 PM   #5
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Not stupid, I was just looking through pre-builts without a 3080 to see what prices are since I have the 3080 already. 5900x are still hard to find too.
This could still be an option for folks who just want to build a system around the vid card, but I don't see how it's necessary considering all the other system builders have the options of removing the vid card anyway.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin
Old Mar 29, 2021, 01:29 PM   #6
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

My 1080Ti has served me well. I will wait on the 4080 from Nvidia or 7900 from AMD. Unless KAC sends me a 3090 for free.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2021, 01:38 PM   #7
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
This could still be an option for folks who just want to build a system around the vid card, but I don't see how it's necessary considering all the other system builders have the options of removing the vid card anyway.
I wouldn't mind having a decent "built for me" platform around my 1070, until I feel like springing for a more powerful video card, when they're available that is.

I obviously don't mind having 'not the latest and greatest' to play around with, so ....
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2021, 01:55 PM   #8
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post

I looked a couple of places and there was no option for no video card. I just had to select the cheapest card to knock off a bunch of money.

Old Mar 29, 2021, 04:02 PM   #9
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

Quote:
I looked a couple of places and there was no option for no video card. I just had to select the cheapest card to knock off a bunch of money.
Usually under the customize tab you can remove it if you want.

~George Carlin
Old Mar 30, 2021, 02:42 AM   #10
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

roflmao....Win10 for £90, does it comes with a free bj or what?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2021, 02:44 AM   #11
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Honestly it is pretty stupid. There is no version of it that justifies buying a pre built like this. Don’t tell me CPU. AMD is the only one having problems and that too on maybe 1 or 2 SKUs of Ryzen 9. Most places have 5600 and 5800 in abundant supply. So if you already have a graphics card you can do your own build for much cheaper still.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 12:14 PM   #12
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Honestly it is pretty stupid. There is no version of it that justifies buying a pre built like this. Don’t tell me CPU. AMD is the only one having problems and that too on maybe 1 or 2 SKUs of Ryzen 9. Most places have 5600 and 5800 in abundant supply. So if you already have a graphics card you can do your own build for much cheaper still.

Its not always about money. Some people just dont care for building their own PCs anymore. You might find great joy and pleasure in ripping open your pc over and over again but a lot of people dont even want to deal with it once.

Old Mar 30, 2021, 12:32 PM   #13
KAC
It might be gays!

Title suggests it’s about gaming PCs. A gaming PC without a graphics card is not a gaming PC. Also if you bought a graphics card separately then you would at least need to open up the PC once to install the card. You will also need to know something about a power supply (which in most pre builts is garbage). So I don’t think this is about regular joe walking in to buy a PC. This is about a gamer Joe trying to buy a PC. And if that gamer Joe has some sense then s/he should opt for a pre built PC that comes with all components or if s/he has the graphics card then go ahead and attempt to build on their own.

Again we are talking opinions here and I find it stupid whereas you find it an intelligent thing to do. That’s ok, we do not need to argue about it.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 01:13 PM   #14
logical
What is my purpose?

Well I considered a prebuilt because I just dont feel like doing cable routing, plugging in all the **** and setting up all the fans. A video card install is literally just push in and plug and thats it. That could be worth a couple hundred bucks just because I dont feel like doing it.

I dont know why gamer Joe should have to opt to put his together even if he knows how. Maybe gamer just is just tired of all of that and just wants to play games with minimal effort.

I mean thats why these prebuilt PC stores exist... ease of use and people who dont feel like doing it. Everyone can build their own PC, especially in the days of YT where you can look up literally everything you need to know.

There are quite a few people here who bought pre-mades even though they work in the tech field and take computers apart all day for work.

Old Mar 30, 2021, 08:14 PM   #15
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Kind of absurd they are offering these builds with an F processor that has no iGPU. So, basically it doesn't even work unless you have your own GPU already.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2021, 08:18 PM   #16
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
I dont know why gamer Joe should have to opt to put his together even if he knows how. Maybe gamer just is just tired of all of that and just wants to play games with minimal effort.
It's because most of these pre-builts cut corners on quality. For what they do sell you they charge more for it than what it costs to get the components yourself. If they have a lower price it's because they skimped somewhere, like putting in a cheapass PSU, or some no-name barebones motherboard. The included RAM in particular is almost always something slow and cheap.

It's true if you need a cheap office PC it's hard to build one for less than what a pre-built costs, and in that case overall performance doesn't matter. But if you actually want high performance machine a pre-built is generally not the best idea, IMO.

To be fair, you can probably find a decent pre-built, although it will still be overpriced, but if you're really that opposed to putting the PC together yourself, then go for it. I guess...
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote