Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 17, 2020, 07:33 AM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Friend of mine needs some memory modules so I'm selling him the 2x8gb b-die kit I just bought and picking up these now.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-...82E16820374090

2x16gb, supposedly it's also b-die, and should be dual rank. Even tighter timings too.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2020, 07:49 AM   #152
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

No RGB and it’s so expensive. Like almost 55-60% higher than my kit.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2020, 08:10 AM   #153
Riptide

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

RGB gonna cost even more. All these 32gb kits with cl14 timings and higher clocks are costly. No getting around it really unless you want to try something rated for less and overclock it.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 17, 2020, 08:15 AM   #154
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Technically I already tried something rated for less and overclock. Didn’t quite work out as this GSkill ram is a bitch to do anything beyond increase MHz.

Will take it to town tomorrow and see if it improves. But thus far even little changes in timing just cause system to not boot at all. I hate GSkill and should’ve stuck with Corsair kits.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 08:43 AM   #155
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

3600c14 is pretty good binned. You have to keep in mind that it's running 1.45v stock, not 1.35v as the 3200CL14 kits do. This allows G.Skill to bin the chips towards higher speeds as they pushed the stock voltage up.

Either way 3600CL14 at 1.45v is good. You can probably do 3800CL15 or 4000CL16 with a slight voltage bump to 1.5-1.55v.

KAC you're just a noob bro it's not G.Skill's fault
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2020, 08:46 AM   #156
Riptide

Possibly. However, when I tried running the current single rank b-die kit at DOCP (3800mhz 14-16-16-36 1.5v) the system would not tolerate the 1800mhz fclk. It rebooted with a whea error after about 12 hours of run time.

The new ripjaws stuff I'm getting, while expensive, should probably just drop in run DOCP and away we go.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Old Dec 17, 2020, 08:49 AM   #157
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

That's pretty bad if you're having issues at 1900FCLK. You should have been able to set DOCP, then change the speed manually to 3600 and either tightened timings further (probably 14-14-14-28 at 1.5v) or really tightened the secondary timings.

People are getting too focused on this dual-rank vs single-rank. The differences are not worth the money investment when you are already running decent RAM.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Dec 17, 2020, 08:50 AM   #158
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Will going full water be a good idea? I have some parts from my predator AIO that I can use like the cpu block, the quick disconnect tubes and the rad. Only need a reservoir and pump. What do you gays think?
Sell your TUF and get:

https://www.evga.com/products/produc...10G-P5-3898-KR

Maybe?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2020, 08:52 AM   #159
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Single rad for a full system loop would be ****ing terrible with a heat monster Ryzen and a 3080.

Yes, you should do it. Lolol
Old Dec 17, 2020, 08:54 AM   #160
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Single rad for a full system loop would be ****ing terrible with a heat monster Ryzen and a 3080.
My thinking exactly. Keep GPU on it's own loop, CPU is a furnace.

yoz
Old Dec 17, 2020, 08:59 AM   #161
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
My thinking exactly. Keep GPU on it's own loop, CPU is a furnace.
Well I guess that all depends on how powerful the pump and fans are. And how big that radiator is lol

I have a pretty big triple pass heat exchanger on my car, bet that would work beautifully for this application. Might be a bit on the noisy side though
Quote:
That's pretty bad if you're having issues at 1900FCLK. You should have been able to set DOCP, then change the speed manually to 3600 and either tightened timings further (probably 14-14-14-28 at 1.5v) or really tightened the secondary timings.

People are getting too focused on this dual-rank vs single-rank. The differences are not worth the money investment when you are already running decent RAM.
I ended up putting it back to 3600mhz and left the timings alone, because it's stable there. I could have attempted to tighten timings up at the lower clock speed. I decided to pass, and just get a kit rated for what I know the fclk is stable at and takes me back to 32gb.

I was disappointed that I could not push 1800mhz fclk with this motherboard, bios, and chip. Not really wanting to spend a bunch of time tweaking things honestly. The new kit should theoretically just drop right in and work.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Old Dec 17, 2020, 09:03 AM   #162
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Well I guess that all depends on how powerful the pump and fans are. And how big that radiator is lol

I have a pretty big triple pass heat exchanger on my car, bet that would work beautifully for this application. Might be a bit on the noisy side though
There's also his ambient temp in Dubai to contend with.

yoz
Old Dec 17, 2020, 09:21 AM   #163
KAC
It might be gays!

I never said a full system loop. Just a 360 rad for Ryzen 5900X alone but with a loop instead of AIO.

Last edited by KAC : Dec 17, 2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 09:22 AM   #164
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
I never said a full system loop. Just a 360 rad for Ryzen 5900X alone.
Ah, OK, go for it.

yoz
Old Dec 17, 2020, 09:25 AM   #165
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
I never said a full system loop. Just a 360 rad for Ryzen 5900X alone.
Why bother? It'll be a large cost investment for minimal gains. Quick disconnect hoses are huge flow restrictions and will mean you have to run the pump at quite a high RPM to keep your flow-rate up. You're never going to run the water at a cool temperature because your ambient is so high. Even the best watercooling setup cannot go below ambient without external cooling such as a water chiller.

Plus the fact that the 360rad, unless it's much thicker than what you have now, won't be much better. I also would not use a block that was made pre-Ryzen.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 09:31 AM   #166
Nunz
RIP Roxen

If you want cooler temps, set the Pump to max on the AIO if you haven't already, and bump the fans a little higher. At the end of the day it's a 24thread monster on a chip that is known to run hot.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 09:33 AM   #167
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Why bother? It'll be a large cost investment for minimal gains.
Have you met KAC? This is a way of life for him?

yoz
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:11 PM   #168
Nunz
RIP Roxen

"This is the way.."

It's okay. I just found out I made Staff Sgt, so considering buying that LG CX48 and giving the 38" to my dad for half..

As much **** as I give KAC for burning cash, I'm only slightly better
Old Dec 17, 2020, 01:31 PM   #169
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Monitor

Quote:
"This is the way.."

It's okay. I just found out I made Staff Sgt, so considering buying that LG CX48 and giving the 38" to my dad for half..

Congrats gai ^_^

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2020, 01:37 PM   #170
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
"This is the way.."

Congrats!

Let me know what you think of the CX 48 if you do go that route.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2020, 01:52 PM   #171
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
"This is the way.."

Congrats!!! Salute.

yoz
Old Dec 17, 2020, 03:16 PM   #172
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Thanks guys. Still reconsidering if it's a good idea or not. Super on the fence about it. If I see a single good deal on it, I'll do it. Not sure if I'll be in for it at MSRP.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:01 AM   #173
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
I never said a full system loop. Just a 360 rad for Ryzen 5900X alone but with a loop instead of AIO.

If you're going that far you may as well do it properly and slap a GPU block on too. It's pretty easy if you use soft tube and you'll be happy with the results.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:08 AM   #174
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
"This is the way.."

Nice one Nunz. Personally I think monitors have their place though, I'm not sold on using a TV exlusively. Wish they made smaller variants.

Congrats on making rank btw *salute*.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:51 AM   #175
KAC
It might be gays!

So I did a push/pull setup on the 360 rad but still not seeing the low temps. Even pushed fans to run at bitch ass 1250 RPM and pump is pushing 2150 RPM. Maybe there is 2 C here or there but difficult to make out.

I don't think full water will work in my environment as my ambient temps are still high.

However, I do get to say that I did push/pull setup. Also cleaned out some cables that were bothering me. Here is what the disco looks like. Waiting on demo to ship me those lian li cables so I can go full re.. ga.. RGB stuff.

Old Dec 18, 2020, 01:01 AM   #176
demo
space cadet

I'll dig them out this weekend m8.

Push pull generally only shaves off a couple degrees.

From highest to lowest temp in 2 or 3c increments it goes Pull>Push>PushPull
Old Dec 18, 2020, 01:29 AM   #177
KAC
It might be gays!

Well in that case I am seeing 2-3C improvement. In COD BOCW I was hitting 84 C but this time I only hit 81 C. Also in other games I was around 74 C mark but am around 71 C.

I already fixed the idle temps by uninstalling all RGB softwares and now last night my idle was as low as 36 C and usually hovering around 41-45 C when stupid Epic isn’t running and I am browsing.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 03:16 AM   #178
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

At minute 16.08 there is a tabel about temps and frequency. 71 C max at 4.35 g all cores at 1.238 V.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 03:24 AM   #179
KAC
It might be gays!

I finally figured out the setting in this stupid MSI board to add +200 and now my CPU is pushing 5.15 Gs.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 07:25 AM   #180
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
I'll dig them out this weekend m8.

Push pull generally only shaves off a couple degrees.

From highest to lowest temp in 2 or 3c increments it goes Pull>Push>PushPull
Not version 1 of the RGB cables I hope? I would agree with KAC if that were the case.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote