Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 26, 2020, 02:24 PM   #361
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

If you got a 4k 27" monitor you can still slum it and run it at 1080p with binary scaling.

And 1440p with the sharpen filter that is available for both camps look ok too.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2020, 11:56 AM   #362
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Jumped on the CX 48 bandwagon yesterday. The 55 inch was actually 200 bucks cheaper but that obviously wont look right on the desk.

Kind of hurt me to pay more for a smaller tv/monitor.

Some things to note for having an older rig:
  • 4k60 444 is the best visually I can do on a 1080ti.
  • Scaling is good enough to use 1440p 120 444.
  • No Gsync with 1080ti via HDMI
  • Its big
The choices for me are 4k60 and 1440/120 and since the scaler does a good enough job losing the resolution isnt as bad as lowering the refresh rate back to 60.

For desktop use I will do 4k60 and gaming will be 1440/120 until I can procure a new video card.

Wife thinks its too big but I think its OK, Ive been moving it further back on my desk. My go back as far as I can later today.. some of he back base can push against the wall and slightly hang off the table.

Before and after:

34 Ultrawide

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:21 PM   #363
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

I don't think that pic gives the size of it any justice.

I know sitting desktop distances to my 49" when I did the testing before ordering...it felt massive. How far back are you sitting, nose to screen? No screendoor/pixel peeping right?

I assume gsync will work on later cards over HDMI? It must, since there's no display port.

I've been trying to decide what I want to do for audio. I have a Logitech Z504 system, but have only been using the fronts. I got out the center and rears yesterday and ordered the cables needed to get them all hooked up. So I'll have surround in here. Also, I'd like to use them for ALL audio. So I think I'll be running optical audio out from the TV to my Soundblaster Zx card that I'm going to install (that hopefully gets rid of my audio popping too). I assume that should do the trick.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:27 PM   #364
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
I don't think that pic gives the size of it any justice.

I know sitting desktop distances to my 49" when I did the testing before ordering...it felt massive. How far back are you sitting, nose to screen? No screendoor/pixel peeping right?

I assume gsync will work on later cards over HDMI? It must, since there's no display port.

I've been trying to decide what I want to do for audio. I have a Logitech Z504 system, but have only been using the fronts. I got out the center and rears yesterday and ordered the cables needed to get them all hooked up. So I'll have surround in here. Also, I'd like to use them for ALL audio. So I think I'll be running optical audio out from the TV to my Soundblaster Zx card that I'm going to install (that hopefully gets rid of my audio popping too). I assume that should do the trick.

I havent measured what the distance is. Ill do that later today. Im not pixel peeping and at playing difference unless you look at text in certain games you cant really tell its scaling 1440p. But if you get all up in there and look for it you can see it. Its by no means perfect but passable for the time being. On a proper monitor scaling is a no go at all.

HDMI 2.1 on 3000 series cards has no issues doing 4k120 444 all the bells and whistles and gsync. Juts a limitation the HDMI spec used on older cards before 3000 series.

Audio wise I have a sennheiser headset(that you can see there) hooked up to amp and dac for sound. The TV speakers arent bad by any means so if by chance i wanted to hear some stuff without the headset they will suffice.

But your choice of running optical out to the system would be best for sure.

Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:31 PM   #365
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Awesome! Sounds good. Can't wait to get mine now. It's also good to hear that 1440P looks decent on it. It'll be a nice resolution to fall back on for games that can't run well for us poor 1080Ti guys.

How is the text in Windows? We were discussing blurry text earlier. Does it look normal/fine with ClearType disabled, or did you have to touch it at all?

PS: Mine is on track for delivery tomorrow.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:37 PM   #366
Ghastlyone
Radeon Southern Islands

Ghastlyone is still being judged by the masses

I run a Schiit Modius and Asgard 3 setup for my audio. USB out from the PC, and then Optical out from the LG CX all directly into the Modius. Crystal clear, perfect audio for desktop.

Nice setup Logical (nice Schiit stack too!). That CX48 looks perfect. 48" will seem huge at first. Give it like a week to 2 weeks of use and you'll be thinking that 48" size is perfect for desktop and makes that 34" ultrawide seem ridiculous.
Ghastlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:47 PM   #367
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Awesome! Sounds good. Can't wait to get mine now. It's also good to hear that 1440P looks decent on it. It'll be a nice resolution to fall back on for games that can't run well for us poor 1080Ti guys.

How is the text in Windows? We were discussing blurry text earlier. Does it look normal/fine with ClearType disabled, or did you have to touch it at all?

PS: Mine is on track for delivery tomorrow.
Disabled clear type. If I run anything other than 4:4:4 text looks like **** and it’s immediately noticeable.

Old Dec 29, 2020, 08:09 AM   #368
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Mine also came, set it up and testing it on Death Stranding.

4k120fps no problem in this game, and it looks .

Text is 100% fine, no issues at all.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 08:12 AM   #369
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2020, 08:30 AM   #370
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Looks great

Would really love to get one but I like my desktop display as a monitor and already have a 4k TV hooked up. Sure it ain't OLED and maxes out at 1440p 120hz, but I'm not in the market for another TV just yet. Maybe I'll aim for a 65" C1 later next year.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 08:42 AM   #371
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Man, I really need to fix my setup to use the 55 inch. I am going to go and do desk hunting tomorrow. If I land a decent 80 cm or higher desk I should be game.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2020, 08:59 AM   #372
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I'm still not convinced of pixel pitch. On my 55" at 4k the pixels are still rather big, practically on par with a 27" 1080p display and it really irks me, I can see it. I'm not convinced 48" 4k will be that much better, in line with a 24" 1080p display.

I really want finer pixel pitch, that should make a huge difference to fidelity. 27" 4k looks amazing but is just too damn small.. 32" 4k is where it will be at.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 09:04 AM   #373
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
I'm still not convinced of pixel pitch. On my 55" at 4k the pixels are still rather big, practically on par with a 27" 1080p display and it really irks me, I can see it. I'm not convinced 48" 4k will be that much better, in line with a 24" 1080p display.

I really want finer pixel pitch, that should make a huge difference to fidelity. 27" 4k looks amazing but is just too damn small.. 32" 4k is where it will be at.
Yeah, 27" is waaaaay too small. I'm even skeptical of 32".

I spent a couple hours on my buddies 27" 4k, and while it was obviously very razor sharp...I literally couldn't make out the details anyway. It was too small to see anything. Really fine texture work, little details on things like armor, facial details, things in the distance...they were too tiny to see any of it.

It's like using the desktop at 100% scaling from a decent distance away. Everyone blows it up to 150% so they can see it. Sure, it was razor sharp at 100%...but pointless since you couldn't see it. Gaming at 4k in 27" is exactly like that. What the heck is the point if the details are too small to make out anyway? May as well just be 1440P.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 29, 2020, 09:12 AM   #374
demo
space cadet

Yeh you might be right, 32" may even be too small. Perhaps in the 36-38" region would be ideal or 4k.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 09:19 AM   #375
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Yeh you might be right, 32" may even be too small. Perhaps in the 36-38" region would be ideal or 4k.
Yeah, who knows. I haven't spent any time in 4k between 27" and 49". Maybe 32" is just right? Won't know until I try some day.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 29, 2020, 09:25 AM   #376
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Well I've used 34" ultrawide which vertical size is same as 27", and the resolution was2560x1080 and this is much sharper much finer than the prior monitor.

Also helps that it's a foot further back.

Last edited by SirBaron : Dec 29, 2020 at 09:31 AM.
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2020, 09:34 AM   #377
demo
space cadet

Yeh I'm using a 144hz 34" ultrawide and it is identical to a 27" 1440p display in pixel pitch, it just has an extra 15% real estate added either side. I would love to reduce pixel pitch, that's my only complaint. I'm tempted to grab the LG 27" 4k just for the fidelity but I'm not happy with 3090 4k performance.. perhaps next gen.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 09:40 AM   #378
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

For me PPI is sort of important, mainly for me monitors are too small.

This when I tested it with Death Stranding (Now Total War Warhammer 2), I can see much more details that on a smaller monitor would be much more dificult to see.

Also I haven't lost PPI I've gained PPI (not as sharp as a 27" 4k but still sharp enough), along with HDR, GSYNC, perfect black, and much larger screen. So it's only pluses.

If you don't count possible burn in, but I've had my B7 OLED for years and it's still going strong.

I've also set local icon dimming on this one to high so that static elements get selectively slightly reduced brightness.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 09:41 AM   #379
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

The TV can dim just icons selectively? How does that work?

Can it be applied to games?

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 29, 2020, 09:46 AM   #380
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
For me PPI is sort of important, mainly for me monitors are too small.

This when I tested it with Death Stranding (Now Total War Warhammer 2), I can see much more details that on a smaller monitor would be much more dificult to see.

Also I haven't lost PPI I've gained PPI (not as sharp as a 27" 4k but still sharp enough), along with HDR, GSYNC, perfect black, and much larger screen. So it's only pluses.

If you don't count possible burn in, but I've had my B7 OLED for years and it's still going strong.

I've also set local icon dimming on this one to high so that static elements get selectively slightly reduced brightness.
No doubt buddy, it's an awesome display. If it wasn't for my wank factor obsession with online FPS I'd be right there with you.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 09:54 AM   #381
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:

Well the TV has a function that can detect when a element has been on for too long, and it will selectively dim those pixels to about 80% instead of 100% as a example, to reduce strain on the pixels and lower the chance of icon burn in.

It works for anything, games, desktop icoins whatever. The panel will know when pixels haven't changed for a while and those will have brightness reduced.

It's called Logo Luminance Adjustment and it's in the OLED Screensaver settings.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 09:54 AM   #382
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

Once set it will try to apply to all use cases where it sees static icons. However the icon has to be full solid for it to work. I noticed it doesn’t work on translucent/transparent icons afai can tell.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:00 AM   #383
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Well the TV has a function that can detect when a element has been on for too long, and it will selectively dim those pixels to about 80% instead of 100% as a example, to reduce strain on the pixels and lower the chance of icon burn in.

It works for anything, games, desktop icoins whatever. The panel will know when pixels haven't changed for a while and those will have brightness reduced.

It's called Logo Luminance Adjustment and it's in the OLED Screensaver settings.
Awesome! Thanks

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:00 AM   #384
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Once set it will try to apply to all use cases where it sees static icons. However the icon has to be full solid for it to work. I noticed it doesn’t work on translucent/transparent icons afai can tell.
Yeah I don't think translucent would work, as pixels would be changing.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:14 AM   #385
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Yup has to be solid. It's a great feature for sure.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:46 AM   #386
KAC
It might be gays!

Nunz don’t be poor bro. Where is your CX and 3090 Kingpin?
Old Dec 29, 2020, 11:03 AM   #387
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Well, one step closer. It's at least here! Will get a chance to play with it later this afternoon.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 29, 2020, 11:19 AM   #388
KAC
It might be gays!

Nice.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 11:23 AM   #389
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

And they said I couldn't do 4k 60fps in games.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 11:32 AM   #390
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix